Curious

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Re: Curious

Post by wurzel »

Chrissie Boy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:38 am After Webb was kicked out, did any of the staff keep in touch with him? As I remember it, all-round good bloke Chris Bomber-Nicholson was a close friend of his during his time at the school, so it'd be fascinating to know whether they remained friends after Webb's disgrace. In fact, it'd be fascinating to know precisely what Webb's life consisted of between then and now. Presumably Webb and Burr remained friends, unless of course they judged it wiser not to keep in touch for fear of being seen as associates, having both been sacked for the same reason.

After Webb was given the boot, it came to my ears that he'd been dismissed for exactly what he had indeed been dismissed for: fondling boys in the dormitory at night. And yet I had left the school years before he was booted out. So how can it be that I, an Old Blue, got to hear about the real reason for his dismissal in spite of the fact that the school itself was trying to cover the whole thing up? Most mysterious.
It was reported in the Daily Express at the time under the headline "Goodbye Mr Chips" as we were all warned in house meetings to beware of reporters calling the phone boxes trying to get more info
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

I made the police aware of the existence of this article when I learnt he was charged. Don't suppose anyone has back copies of the Daily Express (I thought it was the Sun?) to post here?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

marty wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:42 am
I'd be curious to know if ITV approached CH for the interview or if CH approached ITV....
When Richard and I were at Hove Crown Court, there was an ITV reporter in court and a camera crew waiting outside the building, probably from Meridian ITV News.

I just offered my stock reply, learnt years ago, of 'NO COMMENT' (Only joking !!)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

post by LHA » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:52 am

I made the police aware of the existence of this article when I learnt he was charged. Don't suppose anyone has back copies of the Daily Express (I thought it was the Sun?) to post here?
You may be able to find it here:
https://www.ukpressonline.co.uk/ukpress ... sf=express
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Here and in several other threads I would like to thank Richardb for all the patient explanations he has given us throughout this process, and for making that long journey so as to give us an informed picture of what happened. Thank you Richard, your work on the is much appreciated.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
Doctor Smellcroft
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Doctor Smellcroft »

Chrissie Boy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:38 am After Webb was given the boot, it came to my ears that he'd been dismissed for exactly what he had indeed been dismissed for: fondling boys in the dormitory at night. And yet I had left the school years before he was booted out. So how can it be that I, an Old Blue, got to hear about the real reason for his dismissal in spite of the fact that the school itself was trying to cover the whole thing up? Most mysterious.
richardb wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:29 am I haven't been to the school for nearly 40 years and haven't kept in touch with anyone, but I too heard that Webb had been interfering with pupils. How on earth can that happen?
My understanding is that although Peter Webb was not prosecuted after his exit from CH he was arraigned and censured by some kind of teachers' professional body, and this fact became known to the national press.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I searched the Express database and can't find the article.

Perhaps it was a different tabloid.
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

J.R. wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:23 pm
marty wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:42 am
I'd be curious to know if ITV approached CH for the interview or if CH approached ITV....
When Richard and I were at Hove Crown Court, there was an ITV reporter in court and a camera crew waiting outside the building, probably from Meridian ITV News.

I just offered my stock reply, learnt years ago, of 'NO COMMENT' (Only joking !!)
Given the proliferation of this article into the local press, it was most likely written by the Press Association. PA will almost certainly have been approached by the school so that they could provide their perspective, rather than the other way around. It's going to take an awful lot more than this single article to turn the ship around though.

Very few websites (including ITV.com) have the resources to do this type of reporting on their own. It's as much a case for the national press as it is for the smaller regional media
Thornton 85-92
coliemore
3rd Former

Post by coliemore »

Katharine wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:21 pm I'm still not convinced that the good of the students is taking a higher priority than the once good name of the school.
Foureyes has proposed a "Truth & Reconciliation" Inquiry. A "Petition 2018" on this to Simon Reid could be a way ahead.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

I have not been here for ages, but have spent a (quite challenging) afternoon catching up with some stuff.

On this particular thread, Webb turned up on Scout Summer camp as a helper in July 1984, staying on Burr's narrowboat that was moored next to the campsite. Burr was there for a few days as well. I am not aware of anything happening at this time, but it was after he had left the school's employment.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989