Christ's Hospital / The Church of England / Child Abuse

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: Christ's Hospital / The Church of England / Child Abuse

Post by Elvie »

Yep. Fair point
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

Hi everyone, ive lurked for years but had to register and speak up.

Firstly, to say to the victims: sorry. Gutted I couldn't help. I hope you can decompress now after years of stress and then move on with a less heavy heart.

Personally, im angry and gobsmacked at the schools actions at the time - quiet resignations, ignoring complaints etc. The sheer number of staff who stayed silent has really taken me back. (How can Marlene Fleming be current Dep. Hd Husbandry when her husband ignored allegations? Nepotististic much? How can a chaplain stay silent?)

Weirdly I'm not surprised. The inward looking attitude and absence of care was evident in the physical and emotional abuse endemic during my time there. We were all just so lucky to be given the opportunity, eh?

Ultimately my main reason to post is to ask, where is the accountability from the school now? I can understand some reticence if the police are still investigating but it feels more like a whitewash.

The party line is that this was all in the past. They hire an expensive firm to prove current governance is up to scratch - though I can't understand how you can ensure your processes are adequate without investigating what went so horribly wrong in the past.

The scale is staggering. The 5 staff convicted. 3 staff convicted at other schools after leaving (found out about my old house tutor Rowley just today). Did they quietly resign from CH first too? Another apparent committed suicide. More allegations to come?

I'm not sure of the schools legal position but I think victims would value a 'sorry' over more litigation and possible compensation. Someone needs to have broad shoulders. Wheel out Poulton if he has the balls. Sacrifice some of those culpable by their silence. Instead the school hires a PR person and delete/'upgrades the old CHOBA forum.

Sorry for the rant. Sincere thanks to Julian for hosting this place and for all the info provided by people over recent months.

PS: the 'charge' runs both ways. You can't remember the great opportunities you received and help ensure others grt the chance without recognise the very bad things that happened and making sure they never happen again.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

I remain surprised at the failure to properly reveal in the press that Dobbie at the time was Chaplain, in a school which apparently values such things.

Perhaps a number of us have photos of Dobbie in the trappings of his profession that we could upload here, which could be used by the press, and increase the discomfort of the CofE and also the School such that they actually began to commit to things like an enquiry? I am sure that I have some photos somewhere.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

There is at least one whole school photo on the photos section of this forum which includes Dobbie.
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

Avon wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:26 am I remain surprised at the failure to properly reveal in the press that Dobbie at the time was Chaplain, in a school which apparently values such things.

Perhaps a number of us have photos of Dobbie in the trappings of his profession that we could upload here, which could be used by the press, and increase the discomfort of the CofE and also the School such that they actually began to commit to things like an enquiry? I am sure that I have some photos somewhere.
That's the thing. Nobody wants to try the school in the press but if there isn't some movement towards a proper inquiry, I guess it is the only option open.... and there won't be any inquiry, after all, this was all in the past....
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Post by Avon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:26 am

I remain surprised at the failure to properly reveal in the press that Dobbie at the time was Chaplain, in a school which apparently values such things.

Here:
Re: Husband & Dobbie - VERDICTS
Post by yamaha » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:57 pm

This is the only press report I have seen that mentions Dobbie's status as a cleric.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/cri ... ung-as-12/
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

On a practical note it is hard to see how the school could properly conduct such an inquiry. It doesn't have the power to summon people who are not current members of staff to give evidence. I would imagine that this was a significant reason that the school could not take things further when the original victim of the last trial went to them before 2016. The police and courts can interview any relevant parties and bring about justice, even decades later.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Even if the school could. Would anyone trust their impartiality? I don't think so.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Avon wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:26 am I remain surprised at the failure to properly reveal in the press that Dobbie at the time was Chaplain, in a school which apparently values such things.

Good idea. This is Dobbie's facebook, which he hardly used, but is 'open'. I imagine it will be staying that way until his release. He's been to the Hotel Patria in Rome recently.

Others have already updated it so people know he is a convicted paedophile.

https://www.facebook.com/gary.w.dobbie
Molesworth 2
2nd Former

Post by Molesworth 2 »

In response to a previous comment about the school doing nothing in 2016, why do the school offer their own contacts for former pupils to speak to if they have any concerns? I’m sure one of the general letters sent by Mr Reid in recent months listed the school’s services ahead of the police and other independent(I think it was Crimestoppers or similar) organisations. If they can’t do anything then they should just list the police contacts and encourage former pupils to go straight to them and bypass the school.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

Damned if they do, damned if they don't? Seriously I don't know. Some people might even prefer to talk to the school? Surely it's best to keep all avenues open to any other victims?
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

Various options for the school:
- ask someone independent to do an investigation, eg: charity commission, or an education ombudsman.
- properly investigate themselves, but damn, they destroyed all the paperwork.
- explain why its all too difficult but state they are sorry for their failings (which are pretty self evident even to our cursory examination).
- publicly ask former staff, such as Poulton, to explain themselves.

Instead all we get is the assurance that everything is OK now for current pupils. (Which I am pleased about.)

I don't understand the governance - the head and senior staff have changed but where are the governors etc who should have audited some of these decisions? Were they aware? Any corporate responsibility?
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Cairncross is going to make a statement after Karim is sentenced.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/som ... ch-1484201

A press statement from Wells Cathedral School was supplied: "Current principal of Wells Cathedral School, Elizabeth Cairncross, was recently a witness for the prosecution in the trial of Ajaz Karim in Brighton, Sussex.

"Elizabeth’s involvement in the trial dates from her time as deputy head at Christ’s Hospital in the early 1990s, and is not related to her time at Wells. The defendant in the trial has never had any known connections with Wells Cathedral School.

"Due to a delay in the sentencing of the defendant, Elizabeth Cairncross is unable to comment on the trial or on the case."
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

yamaha wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:32 pm .
Cairncross is going to make a statement after Karim is sentenced.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/som ... ch-1484201

A press statement from Wells Cathedral School was supplied: "Current principal of Wells Cathedral School, Elizabeth Cairncross, was recently a witness for the prosecution in the trial of Ajaz Karim in Brighton, Sussex.

"Elizabeth’s involvement in the trial dates from her time as deputy head at Christ’s Hospital in the early 1990s, and is not related to her time at Wells. The defendant in the trial has never had any known connections with Wells Cathedral School.

"Due to a delay in the sentencing of the defendant, Elizabeth Cairncross is unable to comment on the trial or on the case."
I think you are being optimistic there.

More likely she is hoping that it will all get forgotten about and she won't have to explain herself. In any case she can't disclose confidential matters without the appropriate consents.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

An interesting about clergy selection criteria....last few paragraphs are very interesting.
Attachments
Interesting article
Interesting article
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.