Who Knew What?

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

jakew
3rd Former

Re: Who Knew What?

Post by jakew »

Posted this here rather than pollute the thread with the victim's words in it.

marty wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:51 am
We had our 20 year reunion in June 2016 in central London. The school booked us a room in The National Gallery for 2 hours after which we all piled in to a pub over the road. Although I didn't see him myself, Dobbie appeared (briefly) outside the pub (accompanied by a young boy) only to be promptly told to leave.

Wait, what? Given that you were at your 20 year reunion in June 2016, you presumably aren't a young boy. Am I to understand that the Revd Dobbie was leading one of his flock from Shrewsbury on a pilgrimage to the nation's capital, and by coincidence stumbled upon a pilgrim's resting house at a time when it was packed with OBs?

And that said parishoner's appearance was so angelic that they were denied entry to the Chandos, an establishment not known for the strictness of its door policy?
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

jakew wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:21 pm
marty wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:51 am
We had our 20 year reunion in June 2016 in central London. The school booked us a room in The National Gallery for 2 hours after which we all piled in to a pub over the road. Although I didn't see him myself, Dobbie appeared (briefly) outside the pub (accompanied by a young boy) only to be promptly told to leave.

Wait, what? Given that you were at your 20 year reunion in June 2016, you presumably aren't a young boy. Am I to understand that the Revd Dobbie was leading one of his flock from Shrewsbury on a pilgrimage to the nation's capital, and by coincidence stumbled upon a pilgrim's resting house at a time when it was packed with OBs?

And that said parishoner's appearance was so angelic that they were denied entry to the Chandos, an establishment not known for the strictness of its door policy?
I myself am no longer a young boy (thanks so much for reminding me) and it was indeed The Chandos. As for the origin of Mr Dobbie's fresh-faced travelling companion, again I did not see him myself but witnesses thought he may have been of a south-east Asian persuasion so not possible to confirm if he was a regular flock member or had simply been acquired on Fr Dobbie's travels.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
wagenman
3rd Former

Post by wagenman »

I've been reading the forum with renewed interest lately as I attended a number of Dobbie's 'parties' and similar events hosted by another male teacher. Dobbie's conviction comes as no surprise to me.

Personally speaking:
I knew that a male had been abused by Webb and that this lead to his (Webb's) removal from the school
I knew of a female over the age of 16 who had an affair with Husband (presumably the same female referenced during the recent trial)
I knew of different female pupil over the age of 16 who had a consenting affair with a male member of staff not connected to recent trials. A quick google confirms that the male still works in education
I knew of two male pupils over the age of 16 who had consenting affairs with a female member of staff

I didn't know this information because i was party to a series of secrets, i knew because it was common knowledge. So if i knew, i'm certain senior staff members did too

I'm also sitting here now wondering if the various bare bottomed slipperings i received in my junior house actually had a more sinister intent than just ensuring i kept my shoes shiny....

One other thing. I see Tim askew is taking a bit of a bashing on this forum recently. I knew Tim throughout my time at CH (although we didn't always see eye to eye) and as far as i'm concerned he is a fine, morally upstanding man and an excellent teacher. I'd like to offer him my sincere condolences on his wife's passing.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

The more I read from people who were there at the same time as me, the more surprised I am at just how naive I was not to have put it together.

I was briefly in the scouts and went on a Broads trip, and was also taught by him, both (IIRC) during 2nd/3rd form, and even with that minimal level of interaction you'd expect that at least something should have registered somewhere in my brain. But even now, when trawling memories of my time there, I still see the same thing; A Father Ted-esque priest, and if you weren't a favourite you'd get (mostly) cordial disinterest. Some of the memories of how he acted with favourites have definitely taken on darker tones since, which feeds back into the surprise at how it could have been missed by a 12 year old, let alone anyone older and less naive.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

But why would you put any of the little pieces together at 11 or 12? Nothing like this even began to be in my sphere of understanding until I was 16 or 17. And even as an adult it took years for bits of information and memories to come together and fit. Authority was respected, teachers and members of the clergy were highly regarded in my home upbringing and at school. Why would that be questioned?
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

12 year olds are usually perceptive. I can remember when we were even younger than that in the Prep we used to joke about a master playing "pocket billiards" behind a standing lectern type desk while teaching divinity (naturally). He had an obsession with Esau - Jacob's twin brother; who Genesis tells us was a hairy man, a point the master kept repeating as though it should have some significance. One might have expected his obsession to have been Onan but no, it was Esau.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

I know it's too much to expect 12 year old me to have seen things then as 40 year old me does now, but at the very least you'd have hoped your subconscious would throw out a 'Danger Will Robinson!' around certain people, even if you're not fully able to understand why at the time.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Oh well Scrub, surviving the winter of 62/3 while having the wotsit kicked out you and being regularly assaulted by a flagelomaniac 'bachelor' with a gym shoe probably raised awareness in us 9 year olds.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

Yes, I imagine it would. Corporal punishment had been banned by the time I got to CH, so I just had to learn to avoid the unsanctioned gym shoe beatings from a couple of the older boys.
Fairly sure a few of the teachers missed it.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Janey Jam-Jar wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:26 pm But why would you put any of the little pieces together at 11 or 12? Nothing like this even began to be in my sphere of understanding un til I was 16 or 17. And even as an adult it took years for bits of information and memories to come together and fit. Authority was respected, teachers and members of the clergy were highly regarded in my home upbringing and at school. Why would that be questioned?
Just occasionally one comes across an individual who simply reeks of evil. It is not necessarily speech, the way the person looks - just something intangible. We had one such in Col A - quite a few years older than my 11 or 12 who should not have been in the outside loos reserved for squits etc. He pushed his way into the cubicle whilst I was on the throne and even at that age I knew there was "something" wrong and persuaded him to leave.
Apart from a GP who took me out to Horsham with parental consent that was the only approach I had whilst at CH. Should we not put doctors of medecine on the same pedestal as priests? Where does the line lie?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

Marty! That story of Dobbie at the reunion is quite astonishing. Especially given the poor boy he was with. There are some very unsavory connections we could draw between CH and South East Asia, but I'm reluctant to go down the conspiracy theory wormhole.

I am regretful I couldn't make it to the 20 year reunion and especially dear Mark's funeral several years earlier. Given what we know now I relish the thought of "politely" asking Dobbie to leave.

Hudson, who you asked about, the "naturist" paed who killed himself in Holland to avoid extradition, was my 2nd form physics teacher and assistant housemaster. It was pretty clear even to the youngest naïf that there was something off about him.

Perhaps we can have a little unofficial reunion with yossarian (who you know well), scrub or whoever can make it in London in September, as I'll be over with my daughter and partner then.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

HI Marty -

Re Dobbie having been seen at the Reunion in 2016 with a 'young boy', even if detail is that minimal, given what is now known about Dobbie could I please suggest this is reported to the Police (Sussex Police on 01273 470101 or via 101)?

Although the details appear to be minimal/vague, they may be more meaningful to the Police especially - if - there is more they are investigating about him which is rightly not in the public domain - it may be useful intelligence or background. I imagine it would take about 20 minutes and definitely worth doing.

You are welcome to PM me if you need any advice on this process but I think in this instance a simple phone call would do.

So in effect he appeared, uninvited but having found out what was going on, and was told to leave by OB's attending? Says a lot.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

It sounds from the other thread that this was reported and statements taken
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

bakunin wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:05 pm It sounds from the other thread that this was reported and statements taken
Yep correct. As I said, I didn’t see him but at least 2 others did and we all gave statements to the police last year (including the one who told him to leave).

Thanks for the offer LHA
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

bakunin wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:45 pm Marty! That story of Dobbie at the reunion is quite astonishing. Especially given the poor boy he was with. There are some very unsavory connections we could draw between CH and South East Asia, but I'm reluctant to go down the conspiracy theory wormhole.

I am regretful I couldn't make it to the 20 year reunion and especially dear Mark's funeral several years earlier. Given what we know now I relish the thought of "politely" asking Dobbie to leave.

Hudson, who you asked about, the "naturist" paed who killed himself in Holland to avoid extradition, was my 2nd form physics teacher and assistant housemaster. It was pretty clear even to the youngest naïf that there was something off about him.

Perhaps we can have a little unofficial reunion with yossarian (who you know well), scrub or whoever can make it in London in September, as I'll be over with my daughter and partner then.
It is astonishing isn’t it. The front of the man is just breathtaking. Even if you were innocent you wouldn’t boldly turn up at the reunion of the very group you were accused of molesting whilst doing your best Gary Glitter impression.

Still no memory of Hudson but thanks for the info.

Would LOVE a mini reunion with you guys in September (DM me more info re dates etc on here or on Facebook). It’s been far too long. Will you be inviting The Grandmaster as well and can Yossarian please bring me some original copies of Lousey! 😂