Underachieving at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

rockfreak
Grecian

Underachieving at CH

Post by rockfreak »

The minute my mother knew that I was going to CH she was on the phone to everyone she knew telling them the good news. It was the chance of a lifetime. Especially in 1952. To make matters worse my sponsor was an old boy of the school and a senior governor. The weight of expectation was on my shoulders. I was fed tales of Coleridge, Lamb, Leigh Hunt, Barnes Wallis, Russell Brock (heart surgeon), Constant Lambert, William Glock, etc etc. Sadly I never quite lived up to them. I did actually top the class in English one year in my Prep School days but when I went into the Upper School all those incredibly bright scholarship boys came in and I was demoted a set. So for much of the time I was considered mediocre if not downright useless.
One of the Hertford girls has covered this in a much earlier post elsewhere. She was punished at Hertford for not achieving and then again by her parents for not living up to their expectations. My parents didn't so much punish me as mumble and grumble and hold it against me for the rest of their lives. How far should we hold up shining examples of other people to our youth and how far simply encourage them for what they're good at? It's a delicate balance is it not? Figures as diverse as George Orwell and Sejintenej (on this site) have pondered the problem of children going "off the boil" in mid adolescence, due to hormonal changes, at precisely the moment when they have to start getting serious about passing exams which may have a bearing on their lifetime chances.
William
3rd Former

Re: Underachieving at CH

Post by William »

Of course Rockfreak is right, but for the record I am another type of underachiever. I was in the top sets for a while and then
went off the boil
but was allowed to be a Grecian. (In principle this was someone who was supposed to be able to win an Oxbridge scholarship. I didn’t/couldn’t although I tried hard.) But I suppose I’ve had a reasonably satisfying and fulfilling life, never otherwise achievable, and so I have good reason to approve of and support CH.

Rockfreak’s background and mine were totally different. He was clearly middle class or more (with a telephone and parental complete understanding of the significance of a Housey education). Mine weren't. They were working class. In fact we knew (socially) no one who owned a phone and CH was initially a big mystery, for we were encouraged to apply for a scholarship by the head teacher of a state elementary school.

Quite another topic is the current (and future?) trials. I hope the powers-that-be will allow a full discussion of both the evidence presented and the summing up after the trial(s’) end, together with republishing of all the correspondence currently under wraps.
Last edited by William on Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

I am NOT a failure. I am a non-achiever.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

I am not a failure or a non-achiever by my standards. I am by the standards of CH but I no longer give a f***.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

rockfreak wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:25 pm The minute my mother knew that I was going to CH she was on the phone to everyone she knew telling them the good news. It was the chance of a lifetime. Especially in 1952. To make matters worse my sponsor was an old boy of the school and a senior governor. The weight of expectation was on my shoulders. I was fed tales of Coleridge, Lamb, Leigh Hunt, Barnes Wallis, Russell Brock (heart surgeon), Constant Lambert, William Glock, etc etc. Sadly I never quite lived up to them. I did actually top the class in English one year in my Prep School days but when I went into the Upper School all those incredibly bright scholarship boys came in and I was demoted a set. So for much of the time I was considered mediocre if not downright useless.
One of the Hertford girls has covered this in a much earlier post elsewhere. She was punished at Hertford for not achieving and then again by her parents for not living up to their expectations. My parents didn't so much punish me as mumble and grumble and hold it against me for the rest of their lives. How far should we hold up shining examples of other people to our youth and how far simply encourage them for what they're good at? It's a delicate balance is it not? Figures as diverse as George Orwell and Sejintenej (on this site) have pondered the problem of children going "off the boil" in mid adolescence, due to hormonal changes, at precisely the moment when they have to start getting serious about passing exams which may have a bearing on their lifetime chances.
You definitely strike a chord Rockfreak.

'Underachieving' implies unfulfilled ability which I'm not sure I've ever had to a great extent in any sphere. What little I've done in life has been down to determination, perspiration and sheer bl**dy mindedness.

I would therefore use the word 'disappointing' rather than underachieving. The headmistress of my primary school told my parents about this wonderful school and suggested that I take the LCC exam. Somehow I passed the thing but in terms of 'achieving' it's arguably been downhill ever since.

My parents were delighted and, influenced by the glowing reference of the headmistress as to how well CH pupils did in life, thought their only (at the time) son was destined for great things. They have both passed away and I always felt that I was a disappointment to them because of my lack of 'achievement.' My degree was obtained at a Polytechnic and there was an undercurrent from extended family and so called friends of 'oh he went to that wonderful school but still only got into a Polytechnic.'

I have suffered from confidence and self esteem issues much of my life but I don't attribute that to CH. I think that is just how I am. I get to a point where I think I can't sink any lower and pull myself up to an acceptable level (in my terms) even if appallingly low in CH terms.

Men have traditionally been and, even now in these supposedly 'gender equal' days, are still, in my opinion, 'judged' by how 'successful' they are in career and material terms. I have overwhelmingly disappointed by those criteria.

However I have been blessed with a long largely happy marriage, three lovely daughters and, to date, two wonderful grandsons. I'll take all of that over 'achieving' in CH terms.

I'll conclude with a topical footballing metaphor. Some people have the bottle to achieve in the penalty shootout others do not. I fit in the second category but, as outlined above, I'm comfortable with that. I've given things my best shot. If others deem it inadequate then it's their problem not mine.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Chris T
3rd Former

Post by Chris T »

I too am an under achiever, both by CH and my own standards. BUT I have been happily married for over a half century with three successful and happy children who have produced four great grandchildren. My work is respectable and has been mainly satisfying. While far from wealthy now I can do most of the things I wish to. I need no more than all that. My parents (also working class) were happy with what I did, though they would have preferred me to have entered a more lucrative profession, yet they never reproached me. Overall I owe grateful thanks to CH. I am a contented under achiever.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

In my day CH totally ignored dyslexia so I was made to feel an outcast. That hasn't helped in the subsequent nearly 60 years
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

I didn't do well at CH, as I wasn't particularly academic and it was very much a culture of pen to paper and learning in one style. By mutual consent i was asked to leave / agreed to leave at the end of my GE. I was very much an underachiever at CH.

The school did teach me a good few set of skills that set me up well for life. Through hard work and an attitude of trying to disprove people who think that if you aren't academic then you can't succeed and education is everything, i think I've done ok. I've got a good job, happily married, own home and have two children that I adore.

I hope CH has changed over the years to understand people learn in different methods and styles and that it's not all about going to a good university.

I'll always remember on a report card Mr Endacott writing "he never does his prep but i have to give him credit to the unique excuses that he comes up with"
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

I can be added to the list of underachievers: "Could do better" was the report card mantra, except Archbold's "Shows no aptitude for this subject" in Biology. In fairness, they were probably a pretty accurate of my achievements at that time. The key for me was waiting 10 years! After decades of teaching I have realized that the rate and direction of brain development varies enormously from one individual to another. For those who are delayed until after formal schooling, they may never realize their potential. I was lucky. By chance I ended up going to graduate school in my late twenties and, by then, my brain was working at a very different level. Concepts that had been totally opaque were now so clear that I couldn't believe anyone could have a problem. As a result studying now became a joy, rather than a chore, and everything just got easier. As a result I have always tried to recognize similar symptoms in students, and find ways to help them keep going until that switch clicks on.
I must admit I was always tempted to send copies of all my papers to Archbold, and casually drop the fact that my lab was in a building with three Nobel Laureates, but I suspected he wouldn't have remembered me anyway.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

If any of us have happy, fulfilling relationships then, in my book, that is success. If any of us have found our niche in life and the thing that makes us tick, that is success. The rest (exam results, degrees, career, money, cars, holidays, whatever) is peripheral and insubstantial.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Janey Jam-Jar wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:31 pm If any of us have happy, fulfilling relationships then, in my book, that is success. If any of us have found our niche in life and the thing that makes us tick, that is success. The rest (exam results, degrees, career, money, cars, holidays, whatever) is peripheral and insubstantial.
I read that as saying whatever you did at CH has no real effect on the rest of your life. In respect of CH as it was when I was there and my own experience I agree. Of course I have no idea about current attitudes. .
1) In talking with young people I always recommend trying to remember a precis of everything you read or hear. In Chemistry at CH we were told about the Pilkington Process of making plate gless. How boring but when a customer was building such a plant in South America I immediately spotted that they were trying to pull wool over our eyes over the technicals - other banks lost a lot of money.
2) The most advanced of degrees is useless if you are not around to enjoy it. A lad I know got a PhD in electrical systems (he connected a PC to the 660000 volt mains and found the cable faults, the system being sold worldwide) He died months later very possibly as a result of his studies.
3) You will be offered one perhaps two opportunities in life. With your memories (1) above, grab them. If you make a mistake you are still there to pick yourself up again. Those will lead you to a rewarding niche

If they are not already doing so CH needs to work on each and every pupil to discover exactly what will satisfy them in life and work towards that. I have seen an undereducated 14 year old become a resolute, highly responsible 21 year old within 24 hours - it CAN be done.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Janey Jam-Jar is a wonderful moniker. How did she come by it? Everyone should be required to post and explain how they dreamed up their moniker.
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

“DELETED by User”
Last edited by Janey Jam-Jar on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I recognise a lot of myself in what William has posted.

I received a very good education for which I am extremely grateful. But on other levels the school failed a lot of us. Favouritism and nepotism was rife. I had the misfortune to have health problems and found that the school was pretty disinterested.

If I am honest the school brought out the rebel in me but I have made a living out it for the last 35 years!!!
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

sejintenej wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:14 pm
Janey Jam-Jar wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:31 pm If any of us have happy, fulfilling relationships then, in my book, that is success. If any of us have found our niche in life and the thing that makes us tick, that is success. The rest (exam results, degrees, career, money, cars, holidays, whatever) is peripheral and insubstantial.
I read that as saying whatever you did at CH has no real effect on the rest of your life. In respect of CH as it was when I was there and my own experience I agree.
I am sort of saying that. The effect that CH has had on my life is enormous. And not academically. And not positively. What I mean is that where I am now, the 'successes' that I have made in my life, how I have got to a point to be able to do the things I do in my life, are despite CH. In a general sense I would refer you (anyone) back to Nick Duffell's work on boarding school survivors.