DAMBUSTERS AND C.H.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: DAMBUSTERS AND C.H.

Post by jhopgood » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Avon wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:42 am
In the RN section I didn’t get a gun and could smoke too, when Chief Bradley wasn’t looking.
After proficiency I spent my CCF time in the RE's, pretending to build an assault course in the Bird sanctuary. Also a haven for smokers.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)

Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:53 pm

jhopgood wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:25 pm
Avon wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:42 am
In the RN section I didn’t get a gun and could smoke too, when Chief Bradley wasn’t looking.
After proficiency I spent my CCF time in the RE's, pretending to build an assault course in the Bird sanctuary. Also a haven for smokers.
I think the RE did the same too in my time - a week of building a course, a bit of a hurrah as the CCF duly did it, condemned by H&S a few months later.

alterblau
3rd Former
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by alterblau » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:37 pm

As for the Pub Quiz question the following comment by Katherine reinforces a suspicion that I have concerning the nakedness of Mercury. Is that the reason for the difference?

“As to your pub quiz question, are girls nowadays still protected from such obscene (!) sights? Are the current plates identical? Now the school is coed, presumably girls don't have to be protected from the realities of life, as we were! Does that answer your question?”

Incidentally the earliest copy of the Bayeux Tapestry, was made by Victorians in 1885 and now is in the Reading, Berks Museum. It contains only one difference from the original. An unclothed man is pictured falling off a boat into the English Channel. In the Victorian copy he wears underpants. In this sense Miss West was presumably a Victorian, if that’s the difference.

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Quite right, the girls' badges had him veiled, can't remember the details.

Hmm, my niece was one of the last to wear such a badge as she was at CH at the time of the merger. I must ask her whether she was allowed to keep the badge. I wonder whether she even noticed the difference when she got a plate instead?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Phil
2nd Former

Post by Phil » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:42 am

Although it doesn’t add much to the thread, this extract from Miss DR West’s autobiography [1] describes her impressions of the Dam Busters premiere.

“On 15 May 1955 I took the first RAF Scholars, a party of three boys and Diana [2], to see the premiere of the film The Dam Busters. I was surprised at how small the boys were in comparison to Diana [2], who at sixteen was full grown and quite a big girl. There would be no difficulty at fitting them into my car, for the boys were spending the night in our infirmary. The four scholars had the honour of being presented to Princess Margaret before going into the Cinema to see the film. I went up to London again when Elizabeth [2] was chosen to present the bouquet to Princess Marina, the President of the RAF Benevolent Fund at a concert in St James’ Palace, given by the RAF Military Band. We returned to Hertford laden with flowers, as we had we had been given all the table decorations.”

[1] “Half to Remember,” DR West, page 54. Publisher and date unmentioned, but probably CH and about 1987.
[2] When reference is made to girl pupils, no surnames are given.
Last edited by Phil on Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:23 am

Re the PSG, which I was in for a short while: it was preceded by something called 'the Pioneers', which was - I think - officially part of the CCF but did nothing that could be construed as 'combative'. A prominent member was Anthony Arblaster (ThB).
Th.B. 27 1955-63

gneuss
2nd Former

Post by gneuss » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:04 pm

I've always really appreciated the fact that I was awarded one of the RAF Benevolent Fund scholarships and still have the plate I wore. I also met pilots and crew from 617 squadron when they visited the school and they gave me a 617 lapel badge. By the time I arrived at CH (1959) fathers of RAF scholars had obviously survived the war and the award of the scholarship was based partly on their service record and how we performed at interview. I was in the CCF just for less than a year (I have a great photo of Arthur Parker and I in full uniform with old Lee Enfield rifles!) then transferred to the Public Service programme which we affectionately called the SS (sh*t shovellers).

davidtaplin
UF (Upper Fourth)
Location: 221-1111 East 27th St North Vancouver V7j 1S3 Canada

Post by davidtaplin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:27 pm

BBC World Service had a Hardtalk Interview with Dambuster Johnny Johnston which could be now accessed on the BBC website I believe.