Morton Peto

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Morton Peto

Post by michael scuffil »

I see from The Old Blue that Morton Peto has died, at what must have been a ripe old age. He was my first French teacher in 1955, and didn't strike me as being particularly young even then, and he was already a senior housemaster. I didn't have much to do with him after that, until I applied to leave the CCF, of which he was the head (reluctantly, I'm told, because no one else would take the job). He wasn't an intellectual heavyweight, but I liked him as far as I knew him.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Re: Morton Peto

Post by Avon »

[deleted]
Last edited by Avon on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

To quote Sir Humphrey, "Very droll...." Avon.

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Comenius
2nd Former

Post by Comenius »

I’m not sure we can discuss this. Even if Peto is de facto and legally dead, I think all sorts of due process probably needs to be concluded before we can start talking about it on an open forum. We should wait until the new Head writes an dull and platitudinous statement about the issue. It is however important that we establish a channel for those who may have been affected by his death in some way, but this needs to be in the hands of appropriately trained experts.

This thread should be locked.
Are postings mentioning Morton Peto now acceptable? Nothing libellous or scurrilous, of course.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Comenius wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:51 pm
I’m not sure we can discuss this. Even if Peto is de facto and legally dead, I think all sorts of due process probably needs to be concluded before we can start talking about it on an open forum. We should wait until the new Head writes an dull and platitudinous statement about the issue. It is however important that we establish a channel for those who may have been affected by his death in some way, but this needs to be in the hands of appropriately trained experts.

This thread should be locked.
Are postings mentioning Morton Peto now acceptable? Nothing libellous or scurrilous, of course.
Avon's tongue was very firmly in his cheek and this just happened to be the thread selected to parody attitudes towards rather more serious matters elsewhere at the time. That is not to suggest that the death of Mr Peto was not a serious matter.

Please post your reminiscences of Morton Peto. I was briefly taught English by Olive but didn't know Morton well myself.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

^^I agree, I have only vague memories of the Petos, including their daughter and the OB she married, so nothing of interest to post, but I can't imagine there being anything remotely scurrilous to post and I'd hate to think that Avon's or Comenius' posts could be misinterpretd.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

My post was most definitely 'of the moment' and seeing that this has passed I've deleted it to avoid confusion. This may mean some thread tidying. Apologies.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:43 pm ^^I agree, I have only vague memories of the Petos, including their daughter and the OB she married, so nothing of interest to post, but I can't imagine there being anything remotely scurrilous to post and I'd hate to think that Avon's or Comenius' posts could be misinterpretd.
Sadly, Nick Luxmoore has passed away subsequently too it seems.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... e-obituary
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Crap, that's sad news. He clearly didn't waste his life, making a major contribution, and died way too young. As have a surprising number of my contemporaries. Sincere condolences to his family.
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Goatherd »

Nick was younger than me, but I remember him. In the obituary it said that he swore a lot. When I first arrived at CH, I was horrified (?scared) by the language. But I adapted! And I have to admit that I too 'swear a lot'. Am I alone?
Goatherd