Old Blues Chamber Orchestra

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Fabio.Sarlo
2nd Former

Old Blues Chamber Orchestra

Post by Fabio.Sarlo »

Fabio Sarlo (PeB, GrW 05-12) has put together an Old Blues Chamber orchestra and they will be performing their first concert on Sunday 8 October at 7pm in The English Martyrs Church, London.

The Orchestra will perform a concert of classical favourites to raise money for the Hasler Naval Recovery Centre in partnership with Gabriel's Friends, in memory of a late Old Blue named Gabriel. Music to include Elgar's Serenade for Strings, Op.20 in E Minor, The Lark Ascending by Vaughn Williams and Beethoven's Symphony No.1 amongst other pieces.

Join fellow Old Blues, family and friends for a wonderful evening of beautiful music all for a worthwhile cause.

Further information and booking details can be be found at www.obco.eventbrite.co.uk or contact Fabio on fabio.sarlo@gmail.com for more info!
Foureyes
Grecian

Re: Old Blues Chamber Orchestra

Post by Foureyes »

Hate to be pedantic when the cause is so worthwhile, but if the RN hospital referred to is the one in Gosport it is HASLAR (with two 'a's) and not Hasler. I only know that because I used to drive past it!
David :shock:
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Aaaah! Many apologies. I mixed up Hasler and Haslar.
The original Hasler spelling is correct.
David :shock:
Fabio.Sarlo
2nd Former

Post by Fabio.Sarlo »

Not to worry! :) Still a worthwhile cause i hope you agree and would be great if you could make it!

www.obco.eventbrite.co.uk
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Sorry, but I live in Devon, otherwise I would certainly attend.
Concerning Haslar with an 'a', the reason it stuck in my mind is that there was this gorgeous nursing sister.... but, I digress!
David
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I have to regret the dearth of such recitals in the UK. The mother of my next door neighbour arranges one such recital in or beside the local cathedral about every two weeks but we normally learn only the name of the performer in advance but that is all I hear about. Surprisingly the five item organ (only) music recital is detaied for next weel!

By contrast I was abroad in August in a city ( The name rhymes with a famous CH van master known to many of us) where the churches etc and concert halls compete. Typically there would be a choice of five concerts on any evening, seven evenings a week, (one church had forty in one month!), each an hour or so long, a mix of well known classical music with more obscure or even semi-modern- I saw the New World Symphony in one programme) including musicians from the state orchestra and singers of equal quality.
Quality varied from good to excellent and for two people I spent perhaps £30 for two such concerts after having perused the programme and artists in advance. OK so some pews were a bit hard but after CH Chapel ...... I found out about it from placards outside the churches and ticket agents - the hotel would have got me tickets at cost but I simply went to the church desk

I have no doubt this was a major source of revenue for the churches - fine by me - but when will London, Birmingham, Edinbourg get off their asses?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!