Roy Salisbury

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Roy Salisbury

Post by michael scuffil »

I note the death of former Clerk Roy Salisbury. Like many, many others, I imagine, I first remember him as a young CH London office factotum designated to shepherd candidates for entrance examinations around the rather large premises in which they were held, in particular getting us (re-dressed) from the medical to the various interviews.

The boy done well.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Roy Salisbury

Post by J.R. »

Wow Michael !

Your memory is sharper than mine, though now you have reminded me, it all comes flooding back.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I remember the name, but that's all.

I don't remember any medicals in London. I do remember the address 26 Great Tower Street, I remember where I sat for the Almoner's exam - who sat opposite me and who sat at the end of the table, but I don't remember any medicals. I do remember a medical my first day at Hertford, and being laughed at by a senior girl for saying I was in Ward Six, not saying Sixes.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

My entrance exam was in a rather forbidding building in Westminster called the Horticultural Hall, which I think is the building now called the Lindley Hall. We had the written exams in the morning, and the medical (with Dr Scott) and the interviews in the afternoon. I think there must have been 50 -- 100 candidates.

Mr Salisbury (ThB 40-46) was a busy young man then in his mid-20s, making sure everyone was in the right place in the right time, and liaising with parents to tell them when their sons could be picked up from where. He would also appear at all the school functions (Speech Days, Visitation of the Governors, St Matthew's Day etc.), doing the same sort of thing. He was a familiar though fairly anonymous sight. Obviously the backbone of the London Office, where he started aged 16, he worked his way up to the top job.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Katharine wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:41 pm I remember the name, but that's all.

I don't remember any medicals in London. I do remember the address 26 Great Tower Street, I remember where I sat for the Almoner's exam - who sat opposite me and who sat at the end of the table, but I don't remember any medicals. I do remember a medical my first day at Hertford, and being laughed at by a senior girl for saying I was in Ward Six, not saying Sixes.
Typical of boarding schools then Katharine. You were made to feel small by not having learned the right terminology on day one. The older girl feels superior. You feel humiliated. Nick Duffell would call this girl a "pedant bully". We took these attitudes with us into our empire. Making the natives feel small even in their own country.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I have certainly remembered it since September 1959, which is quite a long time! I don't remember other things said to me that day, but I do remember that!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965