Richard 'Dickie' Dawe

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

barnemj
2nd Former

Richard 'Dickie' Dawe

Post by barnemj »

In the Times last week there was a notice re the death of this wonderful CH Master aged 87 - died peacefully in his sleep. Funeral on Monday - details on line.
I remember him well and met him a few years ago - he was a great teacher. I have many memories re 'environmental studies' etc.
A real Mr Chips!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Richard 'Dickie' Dawe

Post by Mid A 15 »

I'm very sorry to read this.

Mr Dawe was a very approachable teacher and his encouragement in the years to 'O' level enabled me to 'punch above my weight' in English until my true lack of knowledge and expertise of literature was exposed at 'A' level.

He ran an ornithological club on Hobbies Afternoons when I was a junior and I remember a few interesting and educational trips to observe the various water fowl at Warnham Ponds.

My other enduring memory of him is watching him take apart the Prep bowling attack with a sawn down bat. Despite this apparent handicap sixes galore emerged from the trees bordering the Prep School cricket pitch and endangered any passing traffic in The Avenue!

RIP and condolences to his family.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Richard 'Dickie' Dawe

Post by HowardH »

A true gentleman, who played for Harlequins and had a very wicked sense of humour. I remember him setting us a "surprise" test on 1st April 1967 when we stayed at school for Easter. Andy has already recalled his cricketing exploits. From my memories as a former prep school Head Dickie was a highly regarded Head of Westminster Under School following his career at CH. My condolences go to the members of the Dawe and Lindfield families.