Does your partner think you are strange for talking about CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I don't think he ever had the pleasure with me, metaphorically speaking. I just found his stutter SO impossible when trying tolearn that archaic language.

Amo, am-am-am-amass, aaa amant !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Richard Ruck wrote:I'm meeting up with and Old Blue mate for a few drinks on Sunday - don't think we'll be singing any Victorian songs, though......

Actually, Loringa's right. Schooldays aren't a regular topic of conversation, and I'm sure the funny looks WOULD start if my wife found me wandering around singing songs in Latin......
Well, it's not for me either - but with parents living there I do go back quite often and my gf does think the place is mad...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

It's strange how time heals wounds and makes the heart grow fonder.

I joined the O.B.'s after leaving school, and attended for lunch in the city on occasions. My initial response was that, 'the place was full of old fogie's !' I remember my Mum saying that I would think my school years were, 'the best of my life'. On reflection, she was correct.

The kids of today at C.H. really don't realise just how easy they've got it !

My maternal Grand-Father attended C.H. in London, and some of his stories terrified me, yet he always maintained that school-days set him up for life, and I have to agree.

Signed:- A Surrey 'Old Fogie' !
lulubee
2nd Former

Post by lulubee »

i think that mine was completley 'baffed' by it until he went, but he loves the place now, and we're getting married there.
he doesn't get the uniform though - why was it never updated?
and although i was a new dep, i can sing every word of the foundation hymn, and remember the alto part!! (never did get the latin thing, though).
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

lulubee wrote:i think that mine was completley 'baffed' by it until he went, but he loves the place now, and we're getting married there.
he doesn't get the uniform though - why was it never updated?
and although i was a new dep, i can sing every word of the foundation hymn, and remember the alto part!! (never did get the latin thing, though).
A sense of history, I suppose, though it seems that today, full uniform is only worn at certain times of the day.

I used to look forward to the summer term, when we could change to flannels in the afternoon. Apart from that, it was FULL SCHOOL UNIFORM AT ALL TIMES !
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

The official line (as far as I can make out) today, is that it's full uniform for breakfast, all lessons, and lunch. Saturdays it's up until lunch and on Sundays's just chapel but I may be wrong!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99