Threads being moved

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Threads being moved

Post by eucsgmrc »

alterblau wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 6:44 pm Now what about the same sign ( ^ ) when it is placed under the line of letters, meaning that something written above the line must be inserted? What is this sign called and why?
That's a caret. "Caret" is Latin for "it lacks".

But nothing is simple. In some technical contexts these days, "caret" is the name for the above-the-text circumflex.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:25 am
I have a little flag at the top off the screen which tells me which language the keyboard is using. Pretty useful as I normally write in English on a Spanish Keyboard.
By clicking on the flag I can switch languages.
My French daughter in law has a French keyboard which infuriates my son, when he forgets to switch to the English keyboard.
I use Apple but my son is stuck in a Microsoft warp.

Unfortunately I never learned to touch type with an English keyboard but I got fairly quick with a French one (but the @ sign is a bug**r needing the Alt GR key)
Mine** also had the indicator but the third line of keys was still printed with AZERTY and not QWERTY and habit made me use upper case shift to get the numerals instead of European gramatical marks.
I also have an Apple iPad on which I switched the keyboard to the French AZERTY settings. At least they include the Nordic letters but it is not very good at handling multipage correspondence and does not have spellcheck.

** Microsoft warp? I started off programming in DOS on an 8086 in Germany, later Visicalc, Supercalc (interesting to program the print formats) etc. and only touched Apple for the first time 12 months ago - quál sinistro
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
alterblau
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by alterblau »

Bingo! Congratulations eucsgmrc. Perhaps you too were taught by The Oil, or more likely you are simply bright.
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

alterblau wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 9:26 pm Bingo! Congratulations eucsgmrc. Perhaps you too were taught by The Oil, ...
I wasn't, in fact. He left after my first year, and Seaman took over. Apart from maths, I was not particularly bright - happy to be average at most subjects - and I was notably incompetent at practical stuff. What has surprised me since is how much of what people tried to teach me did actually stick in my subconscious. I was, for instance, the despair of the manual school, but in later life I realised that I was tolerably competent with woodworking tools, and when I decided to design and install, single-handed, a complete central heating system in a large house, my metal-working skills were up to the task. And my Latin is better now than ever it was in Macnutt's classroom. Or, more likely, I can imagine that it's better, because there's nobody to correct me.
Last edited by eucsgmrc on Sun May 14, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
alterblau
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by alterblau »

Keep up the good work. You're a great advert for a CH (male) education.