Roger Wilson RIP

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

PeA31
2nd Former

Roger Wilson RIP

Post by PeA31 »

I may have missed it but I have seen no reference on this Forum to the sad death of Roger Wilson (Housemaster of Peele A in the 70s) on 4th May of this year, aged 79. A great housemaster and First XV coach. The funeral on 27th May was very well attended, but predominantly I think by those assoicated with the Duke of Kent's School where he went to be Headmaster. From CH there were his sons Jeremy and Simon and I think a couple of other Old Blues, as well as John Denison and Roger's first wife Jenny, who some may remember used to teach Divinity A level to a select few.
Adrian
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: Roger Wilson RIP

Post by Adrian »

Sad news indeed. He was a fine housemaster.

I think he left CH after my first year in Peele A, which would have been 1979/80. Although my memory for all things CH is very poor these days.

What I do remember, and with immense fondness, is being entertained by the Wilsons on Sunday evenings, playing cards, when I would devour enormous amounts of their bread and cheese! I think that would keep me alive for the rest of the week until the next session.

I don't think I ever knew why he was called "ack".
Maine A; Peele A 75-82
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

I was sad to hear this news. Roger Wilson was my housemaster from 1971-75.
We didn't always see eye to eye (understatement), but he seemed a reasonable man.
He was clearly long-suffering, as this crazy anecdote will confirm.
One leave day, my father took me down to Brighton.
For some unknown reason we became involved in a 'mystery sale' at the end of Brighton Pier.
I bought - sight unseen - a mystery package for £2.
This, it turned out, was a large and extremely tacky glass fish vase.
It was utterly hideous, but for some inexplicable reason, I decided I should keep it and take it back to CH.
A few weeks later, Ack was doing his rounds on the ground floor, looking round our studies and so on.
I decided it might be a wheeze to fill the fish vase with water.
As Ack rounded the corridor near my study, I came out to meet him and promptly poured all the water from the fish vase over my head.
Ack looked at me with bewilderment and in his best Mainwaring impersonation said 'Stupid boy!'
He then turned on his heels and walked away slowly...
RIP Roger.
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Hi all

I'm just compiling the Remembering section for the next issue of The Old Blue, and there is nothing for Roger Wilson. Would you mind if I used your comments (either crediting you all, or anonymously, as you prefer), to put something together for him. He seems to have been popular so it would be a shame for him to go unmentioned.

Unless anyone would actually like to pen an obituary for him? 150 words maximum, by early next week.

Many thanks
Jo
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

Hi Jo,
If it's OK with you, I would prefer it if my comment wasn't included as part of an official obit for Roger.
It was just a jokey anecdote of a very left-field moment that I remember while he was my housemaster.
I'm not sure who would be the right person to pen an obit, but if someone occurs to me, I'll come back to you.

Regards
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Hi Paul

No problem at all, I will omit your anecdote and keep it general. I just thought it would be nice to give him a mention.

Incidentally, please accept my sympathies for your brother; I thought when editing his obituary last time what an interesting person he sounded.

Regards
Jo
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

Thanks Jo.
Much appreciated.
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71