OLD BLUES DAY 2016

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

OLD BLUES DAY 2016

Post by Foureyes »

In case anyone has missed it, it has been announced that there will be NO OB Day this year.
David :shock:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: OLD BLUES DAY 2016

Post by J.R. »

QUOTE...

"Old Blues Day

Due to a packed programme of CHOBA events in 2016, the next Old Blues Day will be held on 29 April 2017. We hope to introduce some new features and events for the day which will make it worth the wait!"
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

John,
I am not sure what you mean by that. Yes, what you say is on the bulletin - but so what? If the year reunions are anything to go by, the additions to the programme for OB Day 2107 wlil be what the school thinks OBs should like doing, as opposed to what OBs would like to do, if anyone could be bothered to ask them. I note also that the CHOBA Board has,as usual, been totally silent on the issue.
David
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

David
I believe Jo Sidebottom wrote something on Facebook about the OBD cancellation.
Your memory is better than mine, but I seem to remember some discussion in the final few CHC committee meetings about moving OB's day to bi-annual. I think it was abandoned as it would not have been a good way to start CHA, and so the decision was left to the CHC successors.
I do remember the discussion about how difficult it was to get a date, given the fact that the school had to invite us. In the summer term, there was always a lot on, especially with the increasing number of weekends when pupils could go home.
Unlike our time when there was no such thing as a half term!
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

John,
The intention of my original posting (#1 above) was simply to draw people's attention to the change of date.

If you can find a posting on Facebook by Ms Sidebottom you are a better man than I am. The only post I can find simply draws attention to the CHOBA newsletter.

My more general criticism is that these things are done without any reference to the generality of Old Blues. For example, the posting says "due to a packed programme of CHOBA events..." What are all those events? Are they all more important than Old Blues Day or could one or more have been postponed/cancelled to make room? Did anyone ask Old Blues what they wanted? For example, I believe that many Old Blues find one visit to the school per year sufficient - speaking personally, it is a long way from Devon and necessitates one if not two overnights in the Horsham area. So, many of those who attend one of the plethora of minor events (house, form, year reunions, etc) might well not want to go to Old Blues Day as well.

I would also add that there now seem to be so many CH/Old Blue websites that it is difficult to keep up with them all (especially for we older ones!) and suggest that there should be ONE site ONLY for official announcements.

I am well aware of the complications of the academic year and the fact that the school finds it difficult to squeeze all these things in. However, for many Old Blues it was/is the one time in the year they make a particular effort to go to their old school. Also, the school is always seeking money from OBs, so they need to do something in return!

As to discussion in the CHC about OB day moving to a bi-annual event, I regret that I cannot recall that, but you may well be correct. I do remember (vaguely!) discussion about OB Days in general and concern over the falling numbers, but no more than that.

David :shock:
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Lifted from Facebook, a note from Jo Sidebottom

It's not all that long since it was moved to the autumn, and I think the feeling is that spring is better. When it was originally moved, only about 3-4 years ago as far as I remember, there was an 18 month gap but people didn't notice so much because it did take place in successive years. I think it's more noticeable this time because it isn't happening this calendar year.

Rest assured that CH and CHOBA do take Old Blues Day very seriously, but it's surprisingly hard to schedule anything into a working school calendar and, as Julian points out, there are now a lot of decade events as well. The extra planning time will allow us to come up with some different elements. I can only repeat that hopefully it will be worth the wait!

It is one among many.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

John,
I am sure that you are right, but I still can't find it. I have looked on Facebook sites for CH, CHOBA and Sidebottom, but can't see that particular post.
David
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

There was quite a discussion on the Old Blues Facebook group last night, and I posted a number of times there.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Lots of discussion here:-
Old Blues Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/202297119829844
Need to request to join, but usually pretty quick to be approved...
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.