PETITION: Is 26% Full-Fee Paying Pupils Too High?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

davidtaplin
UF (Upper Fourth)
Location: 221-1111 East 27th St North Vancouver V7j 1S3 Canada

Re: PETITION: Is 26% Full-Fee Paying Pupils Too High?

Post by davidtaplin »

Simon Reid and Christopher Steane seem sympathetic to reducing FFP to <10% by 2027 by fundraising and cutting the bluecoats according to the cloth?
Iguana
3rd Former

Post by Iguana »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:43 pm
Avon wrote:Anyone thought about generating a bit of media interest on this? 'Charity school turns its back on charity?' Hyperbole of course but might draw the debate onto the open. Responses from the powers that be are frankly anodyne.
Most unlikely. Christ's Hospital is just part of the 7% that the other 93% can't get their children into - so called charity school or not. And they've all got other things on their mind; such as how to stop this government turning every school into an academy and exercising a Stalinist grip on our education system. Any newspaper story will merely suggest hypocrisy and special pleading from privileged ex-boarders. And they'll be right.
The full fee payers that have been going through have parents and they are also likely to be interested in maintaining CH, after all some of them chose CH possibly because their children would come across people with backgrounds that would not normally be associated with a private education. FFP back to a lower level hopefully will become reality as they are able to increase the numbers of children they can help out and these ffp can act as ambassadors and may present their own pupils BUT publicity of the sort suggested would be stabbing yourself in the foot. Many people do not approve of any kind of preferential treatment whatever your home background. CH is a great school and it needs friends. My son was impressed that some of the FFP had looked at Eton and chose CH over it (perhaps the parents chose though it could have been the kids). It certainly impressed the CH kids who were already there and impacted positively. No-one wants to feel a charity case. With the current political climate it could be very helpful getting to know FFP and their families, and could contribute genuinely to part of a person's education and wider development as friendships forged now may be very protective later on.Where else can a free school meals kid be educated alongside a wealthy parents kid where the wealthy kid is still in the minority? I would imagine Simon Reid has his sights firmly set on maintaining CH's ethos too.
My understanding was that the percentage has increased but so have the total numbers so it is not less kids in absolute terms from poor backgrounds being educated there but the same numbers of disadvantaged financially or otherwise kids, plus an increased number of other children most of whom are FFP. I assume some of the FFP parents contribute more than the FF too. I may need to be corrected here.
I am very grateful to CH for everything that it does. I have long thought that parents of kids that have benefited could perhaps get involved in fund raising but of course by definition we tend to be very low (if any) incomes so cannot just simply donate legacies but some of the fFP parents might be able to do more .
If the alternative was to run below capacity then everyone loses out and some of these FFP may go on to be leaders of our future and may be a very great friend to the school in future times. Wouldn't it be nice to see an OB Premier whichever country?
coliemore
3rd Former

Post by coliemore »

Very many thanks for these latest posts. In 1868 the School Inquiry Commissioners adjudged CH to be "without parallel... sui generis". Sir William Hamilton Fyfe famously adjudged CH to be "the best school in the world" some 90 years ago. With the move to Horsham from Greyfriars over a century ago and then the gender equalizing move to merge the schools some 30 years ago plus the excellent upgrading of facilities CH aims to maintain this premier standing globally within the original charitable & social mobility mission and ethos now led by a new unitary structure under the first joint CEO/Headmaster Simon Reid with a goal to accomplish an FFP under 10% by 2027. This 1552 Petition dates originally from a BCOB meeting in April 2014 and this has been well acknowledged by the senior management of CH and very widely by Blues and Old Blues within the CHOBA community. At the BCOB AGM and Founder's Day luncheon on October 25 2018 at the home of Terry & Janet Bate in West Vancouver this good progress will be discussed. Further posts would be very welcome in this forum to aid this discussion. The key is to achieve comprehensive unity of purpose and strategy after some five years of very active debate world wide. Keith Bowen chairs the UK 1552 group and I am continuing to chair the petition overall for the time-being.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Replying to Iguana's post: if the full fee payers can afford thirty one grand to send their kids to CH then they can afford to pay a lot more tax to help fund a proper one-tier state system like they have in other developed European countries. Anything else is outdated (by about a century) Victorian patronage.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:24 pm a proper one-tier state system like they have in other developed European countries..
You are joking of course!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

coliemore wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:15 pm Very many thanks for these latest posts. In 1868 the School Inquiry Commissioners adjudged CH to be "without parallel... sui generis". Sir William Hamilton Fyfe famously adjudged CH to be "the best school in the world" some 90 years ago. With the move to Horsham from Greyfriars over a century ago and then the gender equalizing move to merge the schools some 30 years ago plus the excellent upgrading of facilities CH aims to maintain this premier standing globally within the original charitable & social mobility mission and ethos now led by a new unitary structure under the first joint CEO/Headmaster Simon Reid with a goal to accomplish an FFP under 10% by 2027. This 1552 Petition dates originally from a BCOB meeting in April 2014 and this has been well acknowledged by the senior management of CH and very widely by Blues and Old Blues within the CHOBA community. At the BCOB AGM and Founder's Day luncheon on October 25 2018 at the home of Terry & Janet Bate in West Vancouver this good progress will be discussed. Further posts would be very welcome in this forum to aid this discussion. The key is to achieve comprehensive unity of purpose and strategy after some five years of very active debate world wide. Keith Bowen chairs the UK 1552 group and I am continuing to chair the petition overall for the time-being.
Jolly nice to hear of cosy meetings in the colonies about this with Janet and Terry but what are the results? If the aim is sub-10% by 2027 and this was agreed in 2014 then we're 30% towards that target? Or has the school back-ended the result? Also, I could achieve the target in a blink of an eye by getting most of the FFP to contribute 99% fees. Where is the rigour?

Whenever someone posts on this topic you're rapidly in there with a counter-post but it's just history and process. I get the impression that you are just marking your territory - but what's the progress? Also, in what way are you accountable for the result?
coliemore
3rd Former

Post by coliemore »

Thanks Avon.
(1) FFP will be monitored each year through to 2027;
(2) Terry had a meeting with Simon on Speech Day to monitor.
How do you suggest this be progressed yourself?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Is 26% Full-Fee Paying Pupils Too High?

Post by J.R. »

J.R. wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:17 pm Thanks yet again David,

I was never academically brilliant. but I did learn discipline if nothing else at CH and as a 'deprived' child left school with a fantastic grounding for life. Two daughters, four grand-children later, AND a Sapphire wedding anniversary this weekend, AND, God willing a GREAT grand-child this coming June, I feel that CH did something good for me.

Keep the School as a place for children coming from deprived back-grounds.

If their parents can pay, let them send them to Eton or Harrow !

Just a thought, and as dear old Rumpole would say, "I rest my case !!"

(There goes my OBE and Knighthood, but who cares ?)
And a thanks to PeA for his thanks.

Just as an update, Now two beautiful Great Granddaughters, Alyssia and Sienna.

Where does time go ?????
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.