William Glock

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

rockfreak
Grecian

William Glock

Post by rockfreak »

Notable omission on the CH Old Blues section in Wikipedia of William Glock, who successfully ran the Third Programme after the war (what we now call Radio 3) and who was feted for having revitalised the Proms at this time to include modern (often avant garde) composers and to revive the works of neglected early music composers.
Richard
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: William Glock

Post by Richard »

Sir William F Glock (Ba B 1919-28) never had much to do with CH for most of his post-school life. I once phoned him and asked if I could visit him at his home in Wallingford, Berks, to pose some questions on a CH related topic concerned with his schooldays that I was researching at the time. He knew a great deal about the subject in question, yet he declined (rather brusquely) to receive me. However in 1928 he did give an organ(?) recital for the Musical Club of Cambridge University, which was duly reported in The Blue of March 1929 (vol 56, no 4, p 174 ). Glock was then an organ scholar at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. Included in his programme was music composed by Constant Lambert an OB (at CH 1914-22 and the first music grecian), whose music Glock presumably knew at Housey. The Cambridge OBs’ Club turned up in force for this concert. (Incidentally Lambert most certainly merits his own thread - what about someone starting it?)
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Yes I agree about Lambert even though he is on record as saying that he wasn't very happy at CH. His great love was ballet and he was the first British composer to compose for Diaghilev's Ballet Russe. His ballets don't seem to get performed these days, certainly not at the main London venues.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

"Constant Lambert" split out into a new topic - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4809
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.