Edward Beauclerk Maurice: Old Blue, circa 1924-30

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

montagu
2nd Former

Edward Beauclerk Maurice: Old Blue, circa 1924-30

Post by montagu »

Hello, Old Blues!

I am doing a research project on Edward Beauclerk Maurice, an Old Blue who attended Christ's Hospital until 1930. Though I am still unsure of when exactly he joined, there is a picture of his brothers, Phillip and Harold, at the St. Matthew's day parade in 1924, so at the moment I am assuming Edward was also part of the school by then. His sister, Barbara, was at Hertford during this period as well.
I appreciate this is going quite a while back, and I will be contacting the school and its museum soon, but I have done some preliminary research on this lovely forum already and have found it incredibly helpful. Some of the information I am looking for is as follows:

- What house Edward was in, and who the housemaster was
- Who the form masters would have been around this period
- Any information or articles surrounding Archdeacon Archibald Fleming's visit to the school in 1930
- School publications that mention Edward and/or any sports teams/ societies/ choirs he might have been in
- Any photos of Edward and/or his siblings from the period
- Pupils who would have been contemporaries of Edward in this period

I'm sure that the school's Museum will have much of this, but If you can help in any way feel free to message me privately or respond here on the thread. If you have any queries about my research project, do let me know.

Many thanks in advance, and apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum!
Doctor Smellcroft
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: Edward Beauclerk Maurice: Old Blue, circa 1924-30

Post by Doctor Smellcroft »

Hello Montagu -

I'm writing you a detailed private message, but it may take a little while.
montagu
2nd Former

Post by montagu »

Thanks very much- I eagerly await it! :)
Doctor Smellcroft
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Doctor Smellcroft »

Just dispatched it, but it doesn’t seem to be in my sent messages or in my outbox, so I’m mystified. Let me know if it hasn’t reached you and I’ll try again.
montagu
2nd Former

Post by montagu »

Doctor Smellcroft wrote:Just dispatched it, but it doesn’t seem to be in my sent messages or in my outbox, so I’m mystified. Let me know if it hasn’t reached you and I’ll try again.
Haven't received anything, I'm afraid.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

The above named was in Middleton A 1924-30 and left in the spring term of that year. He is mentioned in the House Notes of The Blue for July 1930
as setting out to try his fortune with The Hudson Bay Company. He is shown as living in Bath when he applied for membership of the C H Club. His membership of the Club appears to have lapsed and he is not shown in the 1938 Roll of Members or subsequently.
A.E. Johnson was Senior House master of his house in 1930. and J.H. Lauwerys Junior House master. House Captain in 1930-31 was P.H. Burgess
montagu
2nd Former

Post by montagu »

Thank you, Kit! You've been a huge help!
alastair60
2nd Former

Post by alastair60 »

This may all be too late, but I noticed your post about my late father in law, Edward Beauclerk Maurice. My wife ( his eldest daughter ) have a lot of information , including a photo of him at CH. We also visited his Hudson Bay trading post at Pangnirtung on Baffin Island last August. Please let me know if you would like any more information. Best wishes Alastair
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Dear Montagu,
I hope that I have your name correct. We were in correspondence last January about the above named. Did you get any further in your researches?
I have a set of The Blue around his time at C.H. and may be able to supply further information about some of his contemporaries from that source.
Should be interested to see the final result of your project. I assume that you are not an Old Blue but hope that the C H Museum has been of help.
Best wishes
Kit Bartlett (Coleridge A 1941-47 )