Christ's Hospital, ecole de excellence anglaise

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Pratt
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Christ's Hospital, ecole de excellence anglaise

Post by Angela Pratt »

So many pairs of ladies at Hertford in 40s, 50s and 60,s But DR once told us that so many ladies of that generation had been unable to marry because of the loss of so many fiances and menfriends in WW2!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

The guys love reading about this on any thread Angela. You know what lascivious creatures they are when it comes to chick-on-chick action. You do have a very amusing turn of phrase too. We're all agog. I've been ploughing through the Hertford Memories section and it sounds absolutely ghastly in the post-war period if many of the entries are anything to go by. Anniefx said she was enjoying herself in France at 17 when her Hertford contemporaries were having to get a pass to even leave the school grounds. We had exactly the same thing in order to just travel a few miles by bus into the sleepy little town of Horsham. It took me a good two years to adjust in the real world and I think I was sacked from my first job because of my general unworldliness. On the subject of gay activity, our house was warned about this at one point by our housemaster. It was of course illegal in law at that time and I think he felt that if we sampled it at school we might turn into irredeemable ravers after we left. Later on, working in the field of media and music and thus meeting my fair share of gays and bi's, I discovered that they came from all classes, and indeed their routes to gaiety appeared varied. Some were born gay, some achieved gayness and some had gayness thrust upon them - or thrust up them as the case may be. Should we come into the modern world, I wonder, and open the full Old Blues LGBT thread?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

STEADY FREAKY !!

You are getting just a touch too near to the bone, if you'll pardon the expression !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I'm not known as the Finbar Saunders of Gravesend for nothing (fnurg fnurg).
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Going back over old posts (like about six years ago) I see that there seems to be a general consensus that very little, or nothing at all, seemed to be going on at Hertford. Excuse my tardiness. I've only had a computer for about 18 months. The Cambridge economist Ha Joon Chang says that the washing machine has been of more use to civilisation than the computer. Parents would probably say the same of Calpol.