Pathe news 1930's

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

AKAP
Grecian

Pathe news 1930's

Post by AKAP »

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Pathe news 1930's

Post by Katharine »

Thanks, can't say I managed to see my Dad, he may have been in any except St Matthew's Day 1932, he left that summer I think.

Good to see the girls as well in the last one.

Is it just me, or does the band look very young? Was it a Prep School band?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

It may be that the band was young, as many more left by their 16th birthday.
Does any one know the tune that was played in the first clip as the Lord Mayor processed into Chapel?
I wonder when the Lord Mayor stopped usin his coach on St Matthew's day.
Col A 1946-1953
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Katharine, I agree - good to see the girls. Not too clear a picture, but were they wearing the famous 'coatfrocks' which you were recently pining for? If so, they may well have been the same actual garments that were still being passed down when we wore them in the 50s and 60s, by which time they were well steeped in the ammonia that we used for 'dry-cleaning' them!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

My father left (from Col B) at the end of the summer term 1932 and so should have been in the first and last clips but I can't see him. He played the euphoinium in the band and I used to have a picture of the band with him in it.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Strange that in the last clip, (1930), there doesn't seem to be a full band - only side-drummers.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

......... and I wonder whether the school was taught to break step whilst marching across whichever bridge that was?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Fjgrogan wrote:Katharine, I agree - good to see the girls. Not too clear a picture, but were they wearing the famous 'coatfrocks' which you were recently pining for? If so, they may well have been the same actual garments that were still being passed down when we wore them in the 50s and 60s, by which time they were well steeped in the ammonia that we used for 'dry-cleaning' them!
I think they were wearing coat frocks, but you can't see the yellow piping. They probably were the same garments, possibly different collars! (The 1920s dinner was last week and was great fun)

Seeing these, once again makes me fume at how unfairly the girls were treated, just look how few girls were there compared to the boys. I know that there were probably about three times as many boys being educated as girls but there were far more than three times as many boys as girls in the St Matthew's Day Parades.

I've just looked full screen, and never before thought that the buttons on a Button Grecian's coat can look like a big zip up the front! That is probably sacrilege to those of you who wore them!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Oliver
3rd Former

Post by Oliver »

In my days (the 50s) we certainly did not break step when crossing a bridge. Presumably the bridges were constructed so well that it was unnecessary.

As for only the drummers being filmed in the 1930 clip, is it possible there was a band at the front and the drummers (2 different sets) were placed further back to maintain a marching rhythm (the step) because there was so much ambient noise around that those at the back could not hear the band at the front?
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by 3078260061 »

Re marchers breaking step on bridges, this only applies to suspension bridges. I believe there used to be a notice at each end of London's Albert Bridge warning about this.
Brian Polley, Col.B 1944-1953
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

3078260061 wrote:Re marchers breaking step on bridges, this only applies to suspension bridges. I believe there used to be a notice at each end of London's Albert Bridge warning about this.
We had to break step when crossing the old London Bridge (which was not a suspension bridge). It's all about harmonics and the different types have different potential instabilities.

The worst thing was trying to get into step afterwards when there were bands in front and behind and the beats arriving at different moments. Generally it was only 300 or so boys with two bands but I think it was 1953 when we had the entire school with perhaps three bands; tough
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Only one band for St Matthew's Day (only UF and above went to London) but the whole school went up in the summer of 1953 and there were 2 bands. The Senior Grecian, Johnstone, presented a Loyal Address to HM on the steps of St Pauls and, with the numbers, livery companies like Skinners took up the slack to feed us all afterwards (for St M squash and stickies we were all in the Egyptian Hall of the Mansion House).
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

3078260061 wrote:Re marchers breaking step on bridges, this only applies to suspension bridges. I believe there used to be a notice at each end of London's Albert Bridge warning about this.
That was when the Albert Bridge was still a suspension bridge, which it now isn't.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

postwarblue wrote:Only one band for St Matthew's Day (only UF and above went to London) but the whole school went up in the summer of 1953 and there were 2 bands. The Senior Grecian, Johnstone, presented a Loyal Address to HM on the steps of St Pauls and, with the numbers, livery companies like Skinners took up the slack to feed us all afterwards (for St M squash and stickies we were all in the Egyptian Hall of the Mansion House).
By about 1960, only Grecians, the choir and the band went to London on St Matthew's Day. Deps only if the house didn't have many Grecians.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

michael scuffil wrote:That was when the Albert Bridge was still a suspension bridge, which it now isn't.
Pedants' corner: it never really was. It has an interesting history (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Bridge,_London) and used to have a "twin" in Prague. Last time I saw it, which isn't very recent, it still had those "break step" notices, but I suspect that they are there for nostalgia's sake, or perhaps because the structure is simply very rickety these days.

Curious fact: dunring WW2, there was a spare bridge built just downstream from the Albert Bridge, to take the traffic if any of the regular bridges should be wrecked.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62