Swimming

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Chris T
3rd Former

Swimming

Post by Chris T »

As a newcomer to the Forum I started reading the approximately 1500 postings. Starting with the most important threads, eg “School for scandal or scandal school”, I read with much surprise and interest about an alleged skinny dipping incident by Hertford staff, first posted on Tue 13 Sep 2005 at 1:20 pm.

More important are observations of which many readers are possibly not aware about swimming at Horsham in the 3 decades after World War 2. For recreational swimming (House Baths) costumes were not worn, by the vast majority of pre-pubescent boys, and also by many who were older. This was considered totally normal.

If my memory is to be trusted, the swimming baths occupied former cowsheds of the London Dairy Co, owners of the Horsham Estate before CH. These buildings also housed the armoury, gym and, until the late 40s, the School’s DC generator. They were near to the railway station, on the north side of the Post Office. The baths were not heated and there was swimming only in the summer term.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Re: Swimming

Post by LongGone »

My recollection is that you had to pass a test: swim five laps and show you could dive, before being allowed to wear swim trunks.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
alterblau
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by alterblau »

Swimming sessions that I remember were of several types.
1. There were extra sessions, typically before breakfast on summer weekends, with a house master volunteering to be responsible for the bathers. Not all house masters did this, mine never.
2. There were compulsory swimming lessons for those who could not swim; non-swimmers’ sessions. A non-swimmer ‘graduated’ and could attend House Baths’ after demonstrating an ability to swim 5 lengths (or was it laps?), starting with a dive. He was then able to wear a red bather. A higher grade of swimming ability allowed one to wear a blue bather, but I don’t know the necessary criteria. I am not sure if non-swimmers were allowed to wear bathers. But perhaps there were some khaki ones available for them.
3. There were ‘House Baths’, the commonest recreational swimming and of course
4. training sessions for the school teams.

All swimming except for non-swimmers’ was voluntary. I think that almost all finally learned to swim, but for those on the UF (or thereabouts) who could not, the matter was discreetly forgotten.
Fitzsadou
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fitzsadou »

It hasn’t been mentioned that house bathing was a great pleasure for many people, apart from being refreshing during hot summer days, hence the desire to encourage house masters to make the effort early on Sat and Sun to permit extra swimming. Sgt Usher, often supervised house bathing and when he blew his whistle to indicate the session had ended, I remember his frustration as many people then started very swimming slowly towards the most distant ladder. But he was very good natured about it.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

At Horsham swimming leading up to lifesaving awards was also compulsory in one section of the CCF. From memory it was almost daily though I can't remember when in the day we found time for the hour or so sessions.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Martin
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Martin »

Tush (Sgt Usher) was in his element during swimming sports. His speciality seemed to be the measurement of the open plunge, a popular event. Participants dived in and then glided without any limb or torso movement. The person who moved furthest, and had to hold his breath for a long time, won.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

alterblau wrote:Swimming sessions that I remember were of several types.
1. There were extra sessions, typically before breakfast on summer weekends, with a house master volunteering to be responsible for the bathers. Not all house masters did this, mine never.
2. There were compulsory swimming lessons for those who could not swim; non-swimmers’ sessions. A non-swimmer ‘graduated’ and could attend House Baths’ after demonstrating an ability to swim 5 lengths (or was it laps?), starting with a dive. He was then able to wear a red bather. A higher grade of swimming ability allowed one to wear a blue bather, but I don’t know the necessary criteria. I am not sure if non-swimmers were allowed to wear bathers. But perhaps there were some khaki ones available for them.
3. There were ‘House Baths’, the commonest recreational swimming and of course
4. training sessions for the school teams.

All swimming except for non-swimmers’ was voluntary. I think that almost all finally learned to swim, but for those on the UF (or thereabouts) who could not, the matter was discreetly forgotten.
This accords with my memories too.
When John Lewis were given the sole contract to supply sportswear (autumn 1956), swimming trunks appeared for the first time on the list of things parents had to buy. Before that, they were optional. I don't recall a ban on non-swimmers wearing swimming trunks, but I recall a rumour to the effect that this had been the case (but I recall lots of rumours about all sorts of things that clearly had never had any substance). By 1955/56, nearly everyone wore them. The only time I didn't was in the autumn term of 1955: they weren't on the list (so I didn't have any), but there was swimming for the first 4 weeks or so. (But I remember a primary school friend who'd gone to a London day school (direct grant) saying that they swam naked too. It wasn't a CH thing.)
Almost everyone enjoyed swimming, and it was always a disappointment if house baths coincided with a cricket match. This was one reason why early morning or Saturday evening swimming was so popular -- nothing got in the way.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Martin wrote:Tush (Sgt Usher) was in his element during swimming sports. His speciality seemed to be the measurement of the open plunge, a popular event. Participants dived in and then glided without any limb or torso movement. The person who moved furthest, and had to hold his breath for a long time, won.
Not sure who was judging but in my time, I think it was Clive Perdue, did the plunge and as he passed the previous best mark, raised his thumb, and was disappointed to se that he had been disqualified.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Masters used to instruct the naked non swimmers. Sometimes they used to hold them afloat. I don't remember any complaints
being made about this but I cannot imagine it being permitted today. I recall showing my parents the pool with lots of naked boys swimming about as I am sure other boys did. I do not remember any embarrassment at the time.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Kit Bartlett wrote:Masters used to instruct the naked non swimmers. Sometimes they used to hold them afloat. I don't remember any complaints
being made about this but I cannot imagine it being permitted today. I recall showing my parents the pool with lots of naked boys swimming about as I am sure other boys did. I do not remember any embarrassment at the time.
I have for many years had a theory that this sort of harmless outlet for paedophile tendencies (like housemasters wandering into the changing rooms 'to discuss the match') quite possibly prevented much worse. It is notable that in the Irish schools run by the Christian Brothers, 'modesty' was writ large, so the Brothers were tempted to get their kicks in other ways.
Th.B. 27 1955-63