CH ARMS AND THE SWORD

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Re: CH ARMS AND THE SWORD

Post by DavebytheSea »

Well, it's clearly wrong! Put on there by amateurs.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Joneastburn
2nd Former

Post by Joneastburn »

Or copied from the CH website?!

I too had noticed the crest on the drum; I'm pretty sure the school CCF beret badge is the same, as is the crest as printed on CH Bibles (albeit with the tinctures in line representation).

It will be interesting to see what the response is. They might of course have an amendment from the College of Arms... seems rather unlikely though!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I have a college-style CHOGA scarf onto which I sewed a blazer badge (presumably purloined from my blazer when I left in 1962!) The fleurs de lys are gold, and the rose is white/silver (difficult to tell - it has become a bit grubby over the years, but I believe that white would have been used to signify the heraldic argent?), with a red centre and green leaves - therefore looking very like a Tudor rose. And of course the dagger is red, as it is copied directly from the arms of the City of London. My father, who is a Freeman of the City of London, frequently used to quote the motto 'Domine Dirige Nos' as meaning 'The Lord Direct Us' not 'God Help Us'!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Well I never! I have just discovered that the improper display of armorial bearings is an offence!

Now the strory is out, there may be those at Christ's Hospital waiting fearfully for the midnight knock at the door from the Serjeant at Arms (or whoever) wielding a warrant of arrest and accompanied by armed beadles bearing truncheons. Presumably, our old friend, the Editor of the Old Blue, on his next visit to the UK for a CHOBA Board meeting, may be apprehended, clapped into irons and cast into Newgate Jail. The editor, as we all know, is responsible for the content of his publication. (John lives in self-imposed exile in southern Spain.)

Come to think of it, southern Spain is the preferred refuge for notorious criminals seeking to escape from the long arm of the law ..........
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

David,
Not the Sergeant-at-Arms - oh dear me no!
It would be at a much higher level: one of those herald chaps, with oversized floppy black caps, weird multi-coloured jackets (tabards?) and black tights. And not forgetting their magic wands - although I have never discovered what they are for.
Any resulting incarceration would, of course, be in the Tower.
David :shock:
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Katherine,
Well, Wiki is wrong - and not for the first time!
:shock:
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Whilst there is a serious side to all of this, I cannot stop laughing at Foureyes' wonderful revelations. Thank you, David :)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I daresay miscreants are pursued, persecuted and possibly prosecuted by the Pursuivants of Arms, perhaps most particularly by the Portcullis Pursuivant, who (unlike the Bluemantle and Rouge Croix Pursuivants) seems to have the tool of the trade (unless one is smothered in a blue mantle and clobbered with a red cross).

There is a York Herald of Arms, and when he retires, there's a New York Herald...
Th.B. 27 1955-63
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

I heard a speech given by the Windsor Herald recently, it was fascinating, what an interesting job to have! He told us that the name in his passport is just "Windsor Herald", this can apparently give rise to problems at passport control when he is travelling with his children, who obviously have a different name in their passports
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Hullo All!
You will be pleased to know that eagle-eyed Jonathan has been proved correct. The school has acknowledged that the central rose should be silver. The error, which I am sure was an innocent one, will be corrected over time, although old letterheadings, etc, will be allowed to waste-out and the correct coat-of-arms phased in over time.
Well done, Jonathan!
David :shock:
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Just shows, doesn't it! (I'm not sure what it shows, but it seems an appropriate comment.)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

There is an heraldic description 'proper', which means 'in its natural colours'. It would seem that some of the roses described above (red centre, green leaves) fall vaguely into this category (a rose proper) -- which is of course pretty vague, especially with roses, and depends on the whim of the artist. But the heralds are tolerant of 'proper' (they have to be, when modern arms include things like 'a screwdriver proper'). A 'rose argent' would of course not be allowed ANY colour (except white).

Incidentally, the only purely white rose I can find anywhere is on the Wills cigarette card series. I regard that as authoritative, second only to the College of Arms.
Th.B. 27 1955-63