CH and the Armed Services

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Re: CH and the Armed Services

Post by postwarblue »

Revisiting this thread after a number of years, I remembered that (the then) Sq Ldr John Morgan gets a couple of mentions in 'Phoenix Squadron' by Rowland white (2009) as navigator of a Canberra PR9 involved in the British Honduras crisis of 1972 in which Guatemala schemed to invade and take over. This was scuppered when their men were buzzed by Buccaneers from the old Ark Royal (the real one, not the toy one).

Cheap copies here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phoenix-Squadr ... 8&qid=&sr=
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

The immediate recent CHOBA newsletter records the decease of Paul Madge, Prep B & Lamb B 1946-1953.

London Gazette Supplement of 20 August 1968 records his award of a Queen's Commendation for Brave Conduct in the Air, relating to an incident on '9th' (actually 8th) April of that year, when Fleet Air Arm Wessex HP152 of 737 Naval Air Squadron, operating off RFA Engadine, ditched into the English Channel off Plymouth at night after engine failure. It remained afloat but inverted. Upside down and in the dark Paul, instead of getting out himself, got the pilot out first.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... 9/data.pdf
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

For those at Horsham in the 1970/80s, 'Chief' who ran the CCF Navy section and took drill might well have had an interesting career. He was salt of the Earth, perfect for putting the right amount of fear into us, but was a wonderful man. I recall him tearing a strip of us Navy cadets for some sloppy marching, and he kept the area around the Armoury spotless.

I recall Chief taking .22 shooting once in the range near the Tuck Room, one boy had only hit the target with 4 out of 5 rounds, Chief asked him what he thought he'd done and he said that the fifth round must have gone neatly through a previous hole, leaving no trace. Chief was not persuaded, as we all found out.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Chief was a star. So was the RE Sgt Maj who ran the Army section. The odd one out was Rocker Rae who sported spray on RAF Service Dress and couldn’t quite carry off his elevated rank.

Happy days. I loved the RN section. I always wanted to be on the shooting team as they had really rather fetching looking colours and had this amazing elephant gun thing that they took to Bisley. It must have been .303 or 7.62. But I never made the grade.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

I will probably get told off by the Moderator, but would like to add a word about Chief Bradley which, I think, I may have said before on another thread. I used to visit the school CCF in the 1980s and had many chats with 'Chiefy', who, by any standard, was an exceptional man. On one occasion he told me that many pupils used to drop in for a one-on-one chat - nothing to do with the CCF - and he doubtless heard some hair-raising stuff. However, he would never give even a hint about what he was told and I have no doubt that he took it to his grave.
David :shock:
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Mark Deller RN had a distinguished career in the Navy afte rleaving in 1981 and is elder brother of Paul, current Head of Art.
On a sadder note a contemporary of mine, Ian "Bokker"Halden died in training along with his copilot in a crash in the Falklands; he was only in late 20s but I recall his daughter who he never met went to CH and many years ago I was able to provide her with pictures of her Dad as a young 17/18 year old.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984