Drummers and Drum Majors

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

Timely bumping of this thread as I was about to post a question as to whether Mid A still had the rights to supplying drum majors after seeign the triple drum major jump picture posted .

as for vidoes Cath it would be great to see those, i seem to have lost touch with so many people and been too lazy to chase them up, every year or two Craig and I exchange an e-mail or two and say we should meet up and then never get our arses into gear...which reminds me, it must be time to e-mail him!!
Barnes B / Mid A
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I might try and post one on YouTube but don't hold your breath waiting. Me and machines take a long time to become familiar. The quality of the video is very amateurish (I know Dad wouldn't mind me saying that!) and sometimes a bit wobbly. Where there is a sudden shot of the pavement or ground, you know that Dad has fallen into the bin or off the lamp post he was clinging on to. I can't look at them for too long though. I still find it heartbreaking watching Rick.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

s'funny i've just been looking at a load of old photos and came across one of rick and it brought back some odd memories.

Also got a few of various Col A ladies, Zoe, Clare, Esther, Alice, Hannah and one that may include you but as it's the back of a head with long dark hair i can't be sure.
Barnes B / Mid A
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I certainly had a head, and it was covered with long dark hair.

cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Given that group of names very likely to be Cath, the only other obvious one missing is Jay.

Adam, I stopped going to the NE for a bit, so let's plan around you coming south and then not actually meeting :oops: . I am sort of thinking I wil probably make a 20 year reunion in a couple of years back at CH!
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

cstegerlewis wrote:Given that group of names very likely to be Cath, the only other obvious one missing is Jay.

Adam, I stopped going to the NE for a bit, so let's plan around you coming south and then not actually meeting :oops: . I am sort of thinking I wil probably make a 20 year reunion in a couple of years back at CH!
I have photos of Jay too, not sure why i missed her from the list. You'll be pleased to know the theatre photos i have aren't that good, even the Jungle book ones....

As for meeting I'm regularly in London so if you're in our glorious capital I'll def mail you beforehand to see if you're around. In fact i'm down on the 11/12 July if you're around.

I'm contemplating the 20 year thing too.

cj wrote:I certainly had a head, and it was covered with long dark hair.
AHA
Barnes B / Mid A
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Well I will thank some superior deity for the lack of JB photos - good memories, but I don't really want to see it all in technicolor.

Sorry 11/12 July I will probably be in Toulouse on business with those pesky french guys and their very big planes - email me through the forum next time you are down though over the summer and I will try and fix the date!
Craig Steger-Lewis
1982-1989
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

cstegerlewis wrote:Well I will thank some superior deity for the lack of JB photos - good memories, but I don't really want to see it all in technicolor.
But you were sharing a stage with none other than James D'Arcy. I bet he didn't put that on his actor's CV either!!

cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

cj wrote:
cstegerlewis wrote:Well I will thank some superior deity for the lack of JB photos - good memories, but I don't really want to see it all in technicolor.
But you were sharing a stage with none other than James D'Arcy. I bet he didn't put that on his actor's CV either!!
Well obviously I overshadowed him then with my superior talent, so I would not want to overshadow him now and ruin his nascent career before it starts

:backtotopic: On the subject of triple tosses, Rick (Senior Drum Major in my UF or GE?) was the first that I knew of to somplete one during the Retreat, but I am sure Titus Hill did one in his retreat, unfortunately that day is all a bit hazy. I am intrigued with this jumping toss - never did it in my day, but as I only ever did about 5 full band parades I probably wasn't capable.

Interesting that Little Jed became a legend, Titus was definitely better in our day :lol:
Craig Steger-Lewis
1982-1989
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Our new Treasurer - Sir Garry Johnstone - was a renowned drum major in my day. Even in the 90s there were staff at CH who remembered him fondly as "a very good looking boy with wonderful blond locks"! I am sure somebody somewhere must have a picture. Please find it and a) send it to John Hopgood (OB Editor) and b) post it on here.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)