TV "Highway" show + the Remberance Service from CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

TV "Highway" show + the Remberance Service from CH

Post by jtaylor »

I've finally got round to converting these to DVD - they were recorded from TV around 1988.

If there's enough interest, I'll make up some DVDs and can distrubute for a small fee (will need to cover costs, and potentially help a little towards the costs of the forum) - alternatively, if it's just a couple of people, I'll make them available for download....

Here's a sample - lower quality than the original, but not by much (i.e. it's no brilliant quality - it's come from VHS to DVD, then to PC)

Click here for sample
If you're interested, just add a reply to this post.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

This library PC wouldn't let me play any of that :(

However, I am very much interested in anything to do with CH that could be DVD'd (primarily for my sad mother who likes that sort of thing :oops: ).

If the DVD would not be full-to-capacity, could you fill up the rest with other CH bits? It could be other TV snippets, radio snippets, scanned articles, photos, genuinely good posts (or even limericks etc) from this forum. The list is almost endless really.

As for the small fee, certainly. You've earnt it!
JohnCKirk
2nd Former

Post by JohnCKirk »

Yup, I'd certainly be interested in that. As I recall, I was in the Remembrance Sunday broadcast quite a bit (since my part of the choir stalls was in the background of the camera pointed at the conductor), although I can't easily recognise myself from the clip I downloaded.
Mid B 10 (1985-1989)
Mid A 2 (1989-1992)
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

They're going to have to change the line "ringed with downs and woodlands fair" when they have built houses all over them...
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Was this the show where Harry Seecombe walked all over the head's roses?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

i would love a dvd copy of aall ch things, especailly as when i travel and also at uni no one seems to understand the ideas of a big school in ocuntry with compulsery church...hehe, taking some there next month should be a laugh to see their faces. anyway yes would be very interested......
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Sounds like a good idea, all sorts of ch stuff on dvd, make sure there is some modern stuff to, some of those haircuts looked a bit scary!!
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Songs of Praise

Post by Mid A 15 »

Back in the sixties they had Songs of Praise at Sunday Evening Chapel. Ronald Allison, who later did Jenny Bond's job at the Palace, presented it.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

ben ashton wrote:They're going to have to change the line "ringed with downs and woodlands fair" when they have built houses all over them...
blinged with townies and hoodlums bare

:?:

it's a greater representation of the truth, let's be honest
Happy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Happy »

Nice one, Julian. But it was a jolt to see Rick Slater again.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Happy wrote:Nice one, Julian. But it was a jolt to see Rick Slater again.
Was he the band captain who died?
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

He was. One of the most talented, personable and generally lovely blokes you were ever likely to meet.
Thornton 85-92
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

BTaylor wrote:He was. One of the most talented, personable and generally lovely blokes you were ever likely to meet.
I remember when I was 9 or 10, Dad took me to CH Speech Day (it was before he taught at CH) and I remember the Senior Grecian's Speech as he talked about him as clear as day...

I remember talking to Frank Pattison and Jon Shippen about him too seems like a tragic story...
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

It was really shocking for everyone - I don't know if anyone ever really knew quite why he did it? We all wondered, and couldn't believe it.

He had so much going for him - talented, personable, always a friendly word for everyone, and very well liked from what I knew.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Happy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Happy »

I remember that the reason given was that he felt that he was hopelessly behind on his 'A' level studies and felt he could not pass. It was Easter time. Personally, I felt it was accepted that failure meant resits and that was the end of the world. We were on a coach on the way back from Pleneuf when Farrar pulled it over in the middle of nowhere and just told us, matter-of-factly what had happened. This has always stuck with me; the Head's catchphrase 'academic excellence' took on a new and vulgar meaning.

This is what prompted the instigation of the tutor system which never met its role with any gusto for me, anyway. My resulting weekly sarcasm sessions with Stilwell did nothing for my academic or non academic side.

I would have hoped that CH would have learned from this and taken a more active role in management of pupil workload/school committments a little better but I know they haven't. My sis told me that she took a pragmatic view and told staff straight - 'You tell me when I can do this work and I'll do it for you, otherwise a DT is fine if it pulls me off other committments.'

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes reading this.