Siblings in different Houses

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Siblings in different Houses

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Is it still the practice to place siblings in different houses if so requested by parents? Obviously brothers and sisters must be so allocated. I can remember at least three pairs of brothers from my time.

C.T.P. Johns Coleridge B and A.P.S. Johns Maine A, They incidentally were the twin sons of Rev. W.C.S. Johns, Master and School Chaplain.
J.M. Newman Peele A and P.G. Newman Maine A, D.L. Rendall Peele A and J.L. Rendall Mid A.
I am sure there have been many others.
Talking of twins there have been a considerable number over the years. I once started to compile a list, Names that come to mind are:-
B.L. Dobbs and G.A. Dobbs Thornton B, D.J. Arnold and J.R. Arnold , Barnes A, C.D.Snow and C.G.Snow, Thornton B,
The Llewellyn-Smith sisters, Catherine and Elizabeth? at CH Hertford. A,F, Cressall and D.B. Cressall, Lamb B, A.S.Woodward and
M.N. Woodward Peele B, C.J.. Anniss Peele A and J.R. Anniss Lamb A.
Have we ever had triplets at CH?
Chris Bartlett
Foureyes
Grecian

Re: Siblings in different Houses

Post by Foureyes »

How about: D.M.O. Miller (Prep B, La B, 1948-55) (me) and R.W.A. Miller (Prep A Mid B, 1949-54) (my bruvver)? I never discovered who put us in seperate houses, but it was a very sensible decision!!!!
I also seem to recall two brothers called Ind who were in Maine (I think B) at much the same period. Their parents were doctors and they had the most amazingly powerful water-pistols - red and silver things (don't know why I should remember that!)
:shock: David
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

My brother and I were put in different houses - he was in Maine A (which then moved to Lamb B) whilst I was in Maine B one year below him. I never found out whether my parents specifically asked for me to be in a different house or not, but it never bothered me - we hardly spoke to each other during the term in our early years anyway as we both had different circles of friends.

Must try and find out from Ma & Pa :)

On the flipside the Popoola brothers were in Maine B/A together, as were the Hampson twins and the Dawson brothers.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

In Barnes B when I was there we had my brother and I, (Richard and John), and the Bright brothers, (Colin and Keith). We had also had the Ledeboer brothers(can't remember their names but they both played the Bass drum, as did the Bright brothers), and the Curtis brothers (Joe and Robin), all between about 58 and 66.
As far as I can remember, brothers were normally in the same house, viz the Bisset twins from Lamb who used to win the Steeplechase.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

The practice at Hertford was that sisters were not allowed to be in the same house, though the older sister could choose the house of the younger one.

We had several sets of twins:
Faith and Rosemary Morgan
Su and Ann Bonfanti
Wendy and Barbara Jones

and probably others, both before and after my time.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

I seem to remember that there were several sets of twins in my time, and they were always put in the same house.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Coleridge A had many sets of brothers I recall.
The Wests two if not three in the nineteen thirties.The Sackers H.D. and G.D. The Knotts M.F, and P,J, 1937-45. C.J and R.N. Bartlett 1941-53. D.R.D. and M.P.F. Blakiston 1942-50. A and J. Whipp 1944-52 T. and B. Hayhurst-France 1944-51,
J.D. and F.D. Stanger 1939-50.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

The Hildrews were in three different houses (BaB, ThA, ThB) (about 1953 -- 65). I think they asked to be. But this was certainly the exception. My brother and me were both in ThB, and I think we assumed this would happen automatically. It made life slightly simpler (arranging visits, writing letters, that sort of thing). I suppose if I'd said I didn't like ThB, our parents could have asked for him to have been placed elsewhere. But as it happened, ThB at that time was one of a handful of very good houses.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

michael scuffil wrote:The Hildrews were in three different houses (BaB, ThA, ThB) (about 1953 -- 65). I think they asked to be.
I remember a Hildrew but wasn't aware of his brothers. I think he came to Ba B when it was converting to a Junior House, so may have arrived due to his age.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Jo wrote:The practice at Hertford was that sisters were not allowed to be in the same house, though the older sister could choose the house of the younger one.
I am not sure when the Hertford policy changed, in my time most pairs of sisters were in the same house. There may have been three of the Wanseys in 8s at the same time, certainly all three were there. In my year we had a pair of twins, Gillian and Jacqueline Clarke*, both in 3s.

(They were almost universally known as Jack and Gill - to Gill's chagrin as she was the elder!)
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

jhopgood wrote:
michael scuffil wrote:The Hildrews were in three different houses (BaB, ThA, ThB) (about 1953 -- 65). I think they asked to be.
I remember a Hildrew but wasn't aware of his brothers. I think he came to Ba B when it was converting to a Junior House, so may have arrived due to his age.
The one in BaB was before your time, left in 59 or 60. The one in ThA was a contemporary of mine, the one in ThB of my younger brother. I think they all coincided for about a year or two.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

During my time in Coleridge B, we had the Boyle brothers, (now MacKenzie-Boyle), and the McCleod brothers.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

The Connearns were in different senior houses in my time. Not sure about junior houses.

I can't think of any other brothers in separate houses at the moment.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote:
I knew Peter (Th B) who apparently was the middle one, for several years, I knew of Keith being at CH (met him in Peter's home when I stayed there) but totally unaware of an older brother.

To add to Kit Bartlett's contribution, he would have known the Beare brothers who would have been about one and three years behind him in Col A.
Mentioned in a thread months or years ago were identical twins with a name like Spurrier in the same house in I think Barnes who would have left in about 1961.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
jhopgood wrote:
I knew Peter (Th B) who apparently was the middle one, for several years, I knew of Keith being at CH (met him in Peter's home when I stayed there) but totally unaware of an older brother.

To add to Kit Bartlett's contribution, he would have known the Beare brothers who would have been about one and three years behind him in Col A.
Mentioned in a thread months or years ago were identical twins with a name like Spurrier in the same house in I think Barnes who would have left in about 1961.

Could they have been sons of Mr Spurrier, Housemaster of Middleton A or B during my time, if memory serves ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.