Recent Old Blue Selected For Saxons

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Recent Old Blue Selected For Saxons

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Joe Launchbury (formerly of CH and now of Premiership Rugby side London Wasps) has been selected at the age of 20 in the England Saxons squad announced today.

Congratulations Joe! 8)

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/wasps32867.ink
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Recent Old Blue Selected For Saxons

Post by Mid A 15 »

Tommy wrote:Joe Launchbury (formerly of CH and now of Premiership Rugby side London Wasps) has been selected at the age of 20 in the England Saxons squad announced today.

Congratulations Joe! 8)

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/wasps32867.ink
Well done indeed!

Let's hope he returns in February from his injury recuperation fully fit and raring to go and seize this opportunity with both hands.

I think Andrew Higgins also made it as far as the Saxons. Maybe Joe can press on and become our first English Old Blue full international.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Actually he would not be the first.

I remember playing against a Winger in 1946, although (Senility strikes !) I can't remember his name ! :oops:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Actually he would not be the first.

I remember playing against a Winger in 1946, although (Senility strikes !) I can't remember his name ! :oops:
I can remember reading of an OB called Marriott playing for "an England XV" but caps weren't awarded. Geoff Hines (an occasional poster on here) played for England v The Rest in a trial during the sixties too.

However, to the best of my knowledge, we've never (yet) had an OB full English rugby international. Anyone aware of any other Home Country (or any country come to that) OB rugby internationals?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Taken from the OBRFC web site

In the 1920s and 1930s, Bath, Bristol, Gloucester and Leicester were no more than tough opponents and the 1st XV was happy to play the Harlequins on the "Big Side" pitch at Christ’s Hospital in front of the whole School. These were the years when the Old Blues RFC 1st XV had its Internationals, Barbarians and University Blues while, on occasion, the remarkable ‘A’ XV included County players;

No details on the internationals but it is possible that someone played for England.

I seem to remember that in a recent OB mention was made of playing Gloucester, so I will try and track down the OB who sent it in, and see if he has some more information.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.