Day Pupils

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: Day Pupils

Post by anniexf »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

policeman?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Politicians, surely !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

OK, I give up. No answer to be had, apparently......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

I know that our moderators are hard-working and dedicated people, and that it is not their fault that subscribers veer off topic, but I would be grateful if someone could sort this out, please. This topic has become a bewildering mixture of day pupils (which it is supposed to be about), foreign pupils (who are, as far as I am aware, boarding rather than day pupils) and gay marriage, which has nothing, to the best of my knowledge, to do with either day or boarding pupils (well, not while they are at Housie, anyway!).
:shock:
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Does that make the discussion any less interesting? The nature of web fora is their organic nature, quite often threads digress, converge, sink and reappear. Where is the need for moderation? I note that this is explicitly an unofficial forum, so surely 'reader beware'?
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Foureyes wrote:I know that our moderators are hard-working and dedicated people, and that it is not their fault that subscribers veer off topic, but I would be grateful if someone could sort this out, please. This topic has become a bewildering mixture of day pupils (which it is supposed to be about), foreign pupils (who are, as far as I am aware, boarding rather than day pupils) and gay marriage, which has nothing, to the best of my knowledge, to do with either day or boarding pupils (well, not while they are at Housie, anyway!).
I quite agree. It's particularly annoying when we already have a thread dedicated to non-CH stuff. However some rather pointed comments were made when I tried, politely and I think quite humorously, to steer people away from posting great paragraphs of personal reminiscence into a topic that, at the time, was of present and immediate relevance to the others concerned. Miffed was hardly the word to describe the reaction of the "culprits" - you'd have thought I'd accused them of being trolls! Come to think of it ... :shock:
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Richard Ruck wrote
OK, I give up. No answer to be had, apparently......
There is nothing to be found on the school website to indicicate how successful the initiative to admit day pupils has been to date, and as far as I am aware current parents have received no information. Someone in the school hierarchy must presumably know the figures... Howard H is usually helpful and informative on this Forum over matters of admission, can he tell us?
cubiesteve
2nd Former

Post by cubiesteve »

I do not know their numbers but an aquaintance still attends CH and I can say that some of the boarding pupils are not best pleased with their arrival.

A particular area of conflict seems to be what is seen as a difference in treatment with regards to leave. Where as day or weekend boarders can obviously leave the school grounds each day or week with relative ease, full boarders are still restricted by seeking staff permission.
I can see the necessity for this as it can be assumed that the responsibility of care ends when a day/week boarder leaves with his parental home the eventual destination whereas a full boarder in term time is in the care of the school by defult however the difference in treatment is causing some friction.

Not all of the overseas students have intergrated, or seem to be attempting to intergrate, with the rest of the pupils which although slightly understandable is not producing a favourable impression.

I cannot speak for all the pupils but I am aware that the changes to the student population have been noticed and some of them not recieved well by a few of the more traditionally sourced students.
Thornton A 2001-2007. Grecians West 2007-2008.
ActionMan
2nd Former

Post by ActionMan »

The information that filtered through to us from several pupils is that one of the main gripes that traditionally sourced pupils have in connection with full fee-payers is that the latter appear to receive more favourable treatment when punishments are handed out. If this had just come from one source we would be taking it with a pinch of salt, but it's come from several at various different times. We can see why this might happen, but perhaps the school should be taking particular steps to ensure that this (whether merely a perception or not) is corrected before it goes too far.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

The information that filtered through to us from several pupils is that one of the main gripes that traditionally sourced pupils have in connection with full fee-payers is that the latter appear to receive more favourable treatment when punishments are handed out.
I wonder how staff know who is paying what?

Or is this about 'serious' punishments where Senior management are involved? I have heard that the school does take a very dim view of any bursary students who get as far as senior team punishment - because they are seen as not taking the opportunities that have been offered to them. Perhaps this is harder when a student is paying full fees - I don't agree with it but I can see how it may be harder to justify.
ActionMan
2nd Former

Post by ActionMan »

The pupils clearly know who is which, and if they do you can be sure the staff do. And as for the 'serious' stuff, that is still no reason to treat the pupils differently. Unless, of course, somebody has an interest in not losing the extra money brought in....
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

It will be interesting to see what effect the increasing number of German pupils will have on Remembrance Sunday and other British national memorial events.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Foureyes wrote:It will be interesting to see what effect the increasing number of German pupils will have on Remembrance Sunday and other British national memorial events.
Someone I knew (now deceased of course) was sent to Keil Harbour in August 1939 to just have a "look-see".
Whilst there he and hid wife were invited on board a battleship for a reception. When the toast to Herr Hilter was proposed he and his wife sub voce said "God save the King".
One way round the problem without causing offence.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Foureyes wrote:It will be interesting to see what effect the increasing number of German pupils will have on Remembrance Sunday and other British national memorial events.
I would rather hope that the current generation of pupils have moved on from the mutual animosities of their grandparents.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?