EAST LODGE ENTRANCE TO CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

EAST LODGE ENTRANCE TO CH

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Does any one know the date when the above entrance was closed to through traffic?
It was certainly still open in 1961 as I drove in that way. In those happy days on the road one was able to park at the back of the Houses or in the Art School Car Park.
I seem to remember that the CH Clerk G.A.T. Allan lived in the Lodge at one time.
Is it now still occupied?
Chris Bartlett
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: EAST LODGE ENTRANCE TO CH

Post by Mid A 15 »

Kit Bartlett wrote:Does any one know the date when the above entrance was closed to through traffic?
It was certainly still open in 1961 as I drove in that way. In those happy days on the road one was able to park at the back of the Houses or in the Art School Car Park.
I seem to remember that the CH Clerk G.A.T. Allan lived in the Lodge at one time.
Is it now still occupied?
Chris Bartlett
I left in 1972 and you could certainly drive the length of The Avenue then.

I seem to remember returning from Bournemouth via the scenic route around 1986 during what would have been the summer holidays and driving the length of The Avenue then to show my (then) two (at that time) little girls where their old man went to school.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Funnily enough, I was wondering the same thing myself on my last visit to CH.

I well remember being driven by my uncle on a cold January day in 1958, through the east gate and up to Prep B for my first 'visit' to CH.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

It was definitely open to traffic when I left in 1988. We would also walk through the gates on our way to Horsham.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think I drove in that way on Old Blues Day in 1996.

That's the one at the junction of Christ's Hospital Road and Two MIle Ash Road, correct?

Edit, answered my own question. If you go to Google Streetview there is a link to a photo of it.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:I think I drove in that way on Old Blues Day in 1996.

That's the one at the junction of Christ's Hospital Road and Two MIle Ash Road, correct?

Edit, answered my own question. If you go to Google Streetview there is a link to a photo of it.

I thought the East Gate was permanently locked these days ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Closed somewhen during my half brothers time (late 90's) - he was the 2nd year in the grecians houses if that helps narrow timeframe - i think it coincided with the installation of the security hut by the club
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I think there was something about having to lock it on some occasions in order to keep it a private road. Also, the chestnuts got too low to allow coaches etc through there. Certainly security would have had something to do with it, but it was locked by the mid 90s - special occasions not withstanding!

I think someone still lives in the house. I remember it being the home of Frank Pattison.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

It's opened for the Lord Mayor to drive through it if I have the correct gate. It is always locked when I normally drive to the school but I happened to be behind the Lord Mayor driving to the school on Speech Day and saw his car drive through the gate.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

East Lodge entrance

Post by Kit Bartlett »

If the Lord Mayor enters by the East Gate then presumably other V.I.P.s will do so. Apart from royal visits, e.g. The Queen and the President, what other people would be eligible, if any?
Chris Bartlett
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I dont know if it's an eligability thing as much as a 'can security be bothered to open the gates?' thing...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I remember being told c. 1960 that it was locked one day a year (in the summer holidays) to prevent the creation of a customary right of way.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

If the Lord Mayor enters by the East Gate then presumably other V.I.P.s will do so. Apart from royal visits, e.g. The Queen and the President, what other people would be eligible, if any?
Chris Bartlett
If my memory serves me correctly, Gene Simmonds (sp?) was shown being driven up The Avenue from the East Lodge when he arrived to film 'Rock School' a few years ago. So clearly the definition of V.I.P. includes a fairly wide spectrum of society!!
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

I remember when Frank Pattison lived there he asked me if I would take a decent picture of East Lodge in the summer for him. I can recall getting down there at both 5.30 and 7.30 in the morning to judge when the light was better. I took a cracking Black and White photo and gave it to Frank - I believe he still has it. For those that want to know, the sun was a little bit better at 7.30am :D
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

it`s just as well that entrance is no longer used on a regular basis - the way cars come flying round the bend coming from the direction of the Bax, there would be too many accidents.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.