C.H. CAPE PHOTO WANTED

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

C.H. CAPE PHOTO WANTED

Post by Foureyes »

I am compiling a booklet on C.H. Dress 1552-Present. In order to complete the pictures I need a photograph of the CAPE which was worn in cold weather by the GIRLS in 1985-6; i.e. in the first few months at Horsham.

My understanding is that it was dark blue, with a bright yellow lining, and that after a few months it was consigned to oblivion. Other than that I have no information. Can anyone help with a photograph of one of these being worn, please?

David :shock:
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: C.H. CAPE PHOTO WANTED

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

I think there's possibly one in an old copy of The Blue I have somewhere; however I don't ever remember them being used hence why it's difficult to find pictures. :)
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Foureyes wrote:I am compiling a booklet on C.H. Dress 1552-Present. In order to complete the pictures I need a photograph of the CAPE which was worn in cold weather by the GIRLS in 1985-6; i.e. in the first few months at Horsham.

My understanding is that it was dark blue, with a bright yellow lining, and that after a few months it was consigned to oblivion. Other than that I have no information. Can anyone help with a photograph of one of these being worn, please?

I just texted Barnes Mum, her house have some. She said to let you know she'll see what she can do :)
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Foureyes wrote:
My understanding is that it was dark blue, with a bright yellow lining, and that after a few months it was consigned to oblivion.
I was there in 1985/6 and have a VERY vague recollection of these capes but I can't say I even remember actually wearing one. They definitely weren't around for long (like the jabots!)
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

I have a vague recollection of wearing one - trying to juggle carrying books under the cape was not fun! But it really wasn't for long.... don't think I have any pics, though - sorry!
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Weren't the jabots ditched because of a rather dangerous accident involving a bunsen burner or was that just a rumour??? :shock:
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Weren't the jabots ditched because of a rather dangerous accident involving a bunsen burner or was that just a rumour???
The story I have heard so far is that the original yellow tights had to be binned because they laddered on those high chemistry stools and, yes, the jabots (or, perhaps, just one) were ignited by bunsen burners. Chemistry classes must have been very exciting!

Watch this space for more details!

Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

mvgrogan wrote:I have a vague recollection of wearing one - trying to juggle carrying books under the cape was not fun! But it really wasn't for long.... don't think I have any pics, though - sorry!

It was quite fun carrying a mornings books under a Blue Coat in the rain as well - made only better by being slapped in the face by bands which you had forgotten to tuck inside the coat when leaving the house!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Foureyes wrote:
Weren't the jabots ditched because of a rather dangerous accident involving a bunsen burner or was that just a rumour???
The story I have heard so far is that the original yellow tights had to be binned because they laddered on those high chemistry stools and, yes, the jabots (or, perhaps, just one) were ignited by bunsen burners. Chemistry classes must have been very exciting!

I still bear the scars obtained by attempting to "Super Concentrate" H2SO4 over a Bunsen Burner !!!
A friend of mine , lost a finger, by making up Gunpowder, in the right proportions, and striking it with a rock, in the Eastern Fives Courts !!

I can't remember, whether I went to the Sicker, or not. Probably not, as too embarrassed !! :oops:
He certainly DID go to the Sicker ! :cry:

What was "Elf and Insanity" in those days ? :lol: :lol:
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Didnt exist in my day either - I remember dimly someone dropping some sodium into one of the lab's sinks which had a little water in the bottom!!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I don't understand why the jabots are still used for 'best'... it's a terrible doily!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Barnes Mum has provided me with some delightful pics of a cape from her store being modelled by one of today's girls.
The cape was knee-length, made of dark blue gaberdine with bright yellow lining. It had two slits for the arms, and buttoned down the front. It also had a huge hood. The sigh of three hundred 'Little Blue Riding Hoods' scuttling between lessons must have been quite something!
PROBLEM SOLVED. THANK YOU BARNES MUM.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:
Foureyes wrote:

I still bear the scars obtained by attempting to "Super Concentrate" H2SO4 over a Bunsen Burner !!!
A friend of mine , lost a finger, by making up Gunpowder, in the right proportions, and striking it with a rock, in the Eastern Fives Courts !!

I can't remember, whether I went to the Sicker, or not. Probably not, as too embarrassed !! :oops:

Looking back I am amazed we got away with (and survived) our Chemistry ‘experiments’. Making nitrogen triiodide, thermite, assorted variations on gunpowder, rocket propellants, as well as dropping sodium thiosulfate into nitric acid for a huge cloud of nitrogen dioxide. Ahhh...good memories
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

LongGone wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:

Looking back I am amazed we got away with (and survived) our Chemistry ‘experiments’. Making nitrogen triiodide, thermite, assorted variations on gunpowder, rocket propellants, as well as dropping sodium thiosulfate into nitric acid for a huge cloud of nitrogen dioxide. Ahhh...good memories
The quotes seem to have gorn rong sumwere so sorry.
How did we get away with those things? We have heard of JR getting anaphylitic (?sp) shock from Kirby's little pets and of course the above. Nitrogen Triiodide was a standard (as my junior housemaster Mr "potty" Potts found out when he arrived straight from uni. He got plenty of practice before teaching "Scottish" Dancing in the dorms).
That said, one day we were making aniline dye which requires a solution of 30N Sodium Hydroxide (ie as strong as is physically possible and a highly dangerous liquid (far worse than the strongest acids we worked with by a factor of 3). Potty was out of the lab when a beaker exploded totally accidentally covering three boys with hot NaOH. Of course we doused them in water and more water and the lab was flooded by the time potto came back. Not a happy little bunny!!!!!! The boys were sent to the Infirmary - we had saved their eyes, their faces and hands were very slightly "sunburned" but their clothes were destroyed! Unfortunately I can't remember who the victims were but those 10 minutes will be imprinted on my brain even when I am 6 feet under.

At least it proved that CH had taught every one of us how to act in an emergency. I hope that that continues to this day (hint, hint to the teachers, house parents etc)
Sallz
Button Grecian

Post by Sallz »

I had a cape, there were a few of them still kicking round while I was there. Not sure that we were meant to have them, but nobody ever mentioned it.
Sally Ford
Col A 44 01-06, Thorn B 56 06-07, Grecians West 07-08