CH Colours

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: CH Colours

Post by AndrewH »

williami wrote:Sorry - no news on where to obtain repro School Colours. Tried the School office but nobody there can help.

Andrew, do you still have yours - maybe I can get a badge maker/wirer to make me a copy ?

Regards to all. Ian
I do, but mine were not the best example of badge making that I have seen, the detail in the previous batch was better. I'll have a think about who might have one of those!
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by John Saunders »

michael scuffil wrote:
sejintenej wrote:So far as I know "colours" as such were not awarded when I was there.
What were the criteria? If it was simply competing on behalf of CH (as an individual or part of a team) then probably there are a lot of us who are entitled to them
sejintenej was there at the same time as I was, and colours were certainly awarded for outstanding performances in all "official" sports, i.e. rugby, cricket, fives and shooting. They got you a CH blazer badge (with crossed rifles for shooting), and cricketers also got a very posh striped blazer and striped cravat (if they could afford them: you were awarded the entitlement, not the hardware). Rugby players got blue socks with yellow tops. All colours holder got their initials added on team lists (ah, these little details* that were so important...).

You had to be a certain age (16, I think) before you could get school colours, which proved embrarrassing in the case of John Snow, who scored a century (normally an indisputable criterion) at the age of 15 (an unusual age to be in the 1st XI in any case). I think the age rule was put aside in this case.

As for me, the only sport I ever represented the school in was croquet (against Hurstpierpoint, away), and that was decidedly unofficial. No crossed mallets there, then.

*the initials were placed before the surname. Initials placed after were merely to distinguish you from another of the same name.

(I forgot: there were swimming colours. I don't know what they entitled you to.)

The Swimming colours consisted of the Housey crest obtainable from Wings of Piccadilly together with the Lettering CHSC underneath the blazer pocket.I think George Murray Mackenzie had the first and I copied it a year later. Regards John Saunders Hon Sec Swimming 1955.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

AHA ! ----- A new line of enquiry --- I wonder if Wings of Picadilly still exist !
John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by John Saunders »

I don't think Wings exist anymore. However I have remembered further. The Wings badge was very padded and stood off the blazer pocket. The normal Housey badge was rather thin pathetic wired job. Additionally Swimmers with school colours were issued with a XV1 bather.Black and yellow latterly,but blue with white tape piping in the earlier Colts teams. I presented mine to the Museum some years ago Regards John Saunders.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Shooting colours with the crossed rifles definitely still existed in the late 80's if that helps at all. But I can not remember who ran the 22 range/team apart from a hint of a memory of the nickname "Rocker".
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

wurzel wrote:Shooting colours with the crossed rifles definitely still existed in the late 80's if that helps at all. But I can not remember who ran the 22 range/team apart from a hint of a memory of the nickname "Rocker".
Could well have been Rocker Rae who was into that sort of thing. My memory of .22 shooting was for CCF and we were not allowed to touch the sights, no sighting in rounds and were under a strict time limit; it was a one-off thing and the only time I shot .22 at CH. I got a (tight) group at 11 or 01 o'clock and therefore got a lousy score in my discharge papers. By contrast I shot for many years in civvy street starting at over 90's and later with averages well over 98 which was enough to get me into the club's 3rd division.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

I was never in the team and only shot with RAF section of CCF as I missed marksman by 1 point so could not join the team.

The team had separate rifles and had spotter scopes whilst as you say CCF you had to leave sights alone (I think we even had to leave them folded down and use the ring on top of the folded sight rather than the actual sight most of the time). Rocker Rae does sound right

"I declare i have no live rounds or spent cartridges in my possession sir" just popped into my head as i was writing this. we had to state it to the Officer in charge before leaving the range
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

"No live rounds in my possession"

I was once, wouded by a .22 bullet, on an Army Range, striking me in the back and penetrating my leather "Sam Browne" belt, lodging against my spine.

This was entirely my own fault, having gone to inspect the targets, whilst not, previously ensuring that all rifles, on the firing point, had their bolts OPEN.
Pressure can build up behind a faulty round -- causing a late discharge.

This is what I told myself, although there may have been the involvement of a disgruntled Soldier --- :oops:

Our MO probed the wound ---- and I fainted.
When I "came to" -- he presented me with the offending missile, which he had removed while I was unconcious.
He remarked that this saved Anesthaesia ---- I LOVE the Army :lol: :lol:

I still have the scar !
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:"No live rounds in my possession"

I was once, wouded by a .22 bullet, on an Army Range, striking me in the back and penetrating my leather "Sam Browne" belt, lodging against my spine.
We arrived one evening to find our rifle range (close to Scotland Yard, ie Central London) not only locked (we had a key) but padlocked.
It transpired that the Territorial Army also used the range and during one of their sessions a stray round or three escaped the range (which was on the top floor) into the nearby streets. Given that the range had solid block/brick walls I cannot see how the Terriers could have loosed that round - but then they are taught to be resourceful.
Fortunately this was before the days of Osama bin Laden and the range was reopened a week later.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Back to the original Topic ----

I have been doing some research, --- "Wings" do not exist -- but may have been taken over.

On the internet, under "Embroidered Blazer Badges" there are several firms advertising.

Some of these require a minimum of 25 ---- not really for us !

I have made some enquiries of some others, and will report back, but the prices do not appear excessive !

One point stikes me, in these days of Litigation ---- will the Foundation sue me for use of the Crest ? :oops:
JossM
2nd Former

Post by JossM »

I was lucky enough to be awarded my Shooting Colours in 1969 after shooting well in the Ashburton at Bisley. Unfortunately the award was only a couple of days before the end of term, so I never had the opportunity to display them on my blazer. I still have the badge, mint & unused, waiting for an opportunity to display it somehow. Sorry to original enquirer but I want to keep it (my only success!) but I hope you manage to find one.