Expelled

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Expelled

Post by englishangel »

Re Hertford V. Horsham, I think girls are naturally much more devious and just don't get caught.

One spring term my parents brought me home clothes (including a nice sweater) when we went out on Long Sat. When they left the sweater got left behind. Some weeks later it disappeared from my room (I couldn't say anything as I shouldn't have had it in the first place). After a decent interval it reappeared, stinking of booze and fags. As our rooms were so small I then had to wash it so the room didn't fill with the smell. The girl who had taken it was best friends with my room-mate so no trouble from that direction and one of the advantages of us doing our own housework was that nosy domestic staff had no need to go into our rooms on a regular basis.

The girl who had taken it was never happy at Hertford and left after O levels.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Angela Woodford wrote:Incredibly daring indeed! I hope the photo made her a few bob?

I was wondering how DR, not really a dedicated soaraway Sun reader, would have found out.

The affair must have passed beneath my radar. Ooh, don't suppose you have any more details? A teensy pm maybe?

Fascinating!
Oooh yes, me too please. We were near contemporaries at Hertford and I can't think who it would have been!

Hoping this will get through - can read the forum (sometimes) but for the last couple of weeks have been unable to post anything :( :( Think it's a router problem so using netbook and 3G this afternoon while ISP does some tests (again!)
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

............a PM with the afore-mentioned photo would be even better !!!!!

:oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Actual expulsion was very uncommon in my day (I can think of about three cases during my whole time), but obviously some people were eased out. Seaman did tell one friend of mine that he'd write "a not entirely frank testimonial" if he left.

Of course until the academic reforms c. 1958 you were simply "discharged" post O level if they didn't think you were an academic high-flier.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

michael scuffil wrote:
Of course until the academic reforms c. 1958 you were simply "discharged" post O level if they didn't think you were an academic high-flier.
I never heard about the 1958 "reforms" but up to 1960/1 those not expected to do well at A level went to the 5th Form instead of Dep Grecians. They had the chance to increase their number of O level passes which, in those days, were respected by employers. I went that course and ended up that way with I think, 12 before exceptionally being kept on in Dep Grecians, earning a couple of A levels and yet another O level!!!
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Those 'eased out' on academic grounds were I think often kitted out with a job via OB contacts. The terms for leaving were printed on the back of the report form every term. They reflected the fact that there was very little University opportunity other than Oxbridge and what there was raised questions about subsistence for many Blues. Which of course is often how we washed up at Housey in the first place. One 'exception' was my father who took his school cert but was far more interested in an active life in the Army than sitting in a classroom (although he eventually won an engineering prize at Sandhurst) and was kept on by Flecker, spending his last year age 17 on the school farm, where he learned to accouche a pig.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Jo wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:Incredibly daring indeed! I hope the photo made her a few bob?

I was wondering how DR, not really a dedicated soaraway Sun reader, would have found out.

The affair must have passed beneath my radar. Ooh, don't suppose you have any more details? A teensy pm maybe?

Fascinating!
Oooh yes, me too please. We were near contemporaries at Hertford and I can't think who it would have been!

Hoping this will get through - can read the forum (sometimes) but for the last couple of weeks have been unable to post anything :( :( Think it's a router problem so using netbook and 3G this afternoon while ISP does some tests (again!)
Do you remember this incident at all Jo? Have sent you PM.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

[quote="J.R."]............a PM with the afore-mentioned photo would be even better !!!!!

:oops:[/quote

Maybe you would find it on The Sun archives on the internet JR!
:lol:
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

fra828 wrote:
Jo wrote:

Fascinating!

Do you remember this incident at all Jo? Have sent you PM.
Sadly no, not at all. Mind you I was quite naive and innocent in those days so it's not surprising the whole thing just passed me by! Thanks for the PM though.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

postwarblue wrote:Those 'eased out' on academic grounds were I think often kitted out with a job via OB contacts. The terms for leaving were printed on the back of the report form every term. They reflected the fact that there was very little University opportunity other than Oxbridge and what there was raised questions about subsistence for many Blues. Which of course is often how we washed up at Housey in the first place. One 'exception' was my father who took his school cert but was far more interested in an active life in the Army than sitting in a classroom (although he eventually won an engineering prize at Sandhurst) and was kept on by Flecker, spending his last year age 17 on the school farm, where he learned to accouche a pig.
Things must have changed. I never heard anything about reports and as for OB contacts how did one hear about them? I knew that one couldn't go to university without a scholarship and for that you needed 3 "S" levels (Ashton was denied even that - he had to get 6!) so that was out.
As for careers there was nothing and nobody to ask even if one knew what questions to ask. Not even a list of what businesses exist and what they do. On the penultimate day you got your bible and if your housemaster approved, you might go and say goodbye to a few teachers (other houses were out of bounds even then). On the last day you got up in civvies, had breakfast feeling "out of it" and walked down the PO Path to the station and that was the end of any contact with CH; I suppose being expelled would have been exactly the same.
I later worked in the City so one day I went to Great Tower Street. The welcome I got would have made the North Pole seem like the tropics so I never went back.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

No J R the pic is not on the Internet as far as I can see, and Jo, it passed me by too and she was a year below me in the same house for heaven's sake.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

fra828 wrote:
J.R. wrote:............a PM with the afore-mentioned photo would be even better !!!!!

:oops:[/quote

Maybe you would find it on The Sun archives on the internet JR!
:lol:

As I know someone who takes 'glamour-photo's' for future publishing, I can assure you that most of the 'models' use an alias for publication, so it would help if someone knew the name the picture was published under.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I still remain horrified at the stories from Hertford, and the sadistic reasons for expulsion.
I suppose that Page 3 Modelling, might be considered a bit OTT, --- If you will excuse the innuendo --- but "A bottle of wine" ???

BTW --- I noe Englishangel's implied boast ----- pictures ?? -- What say you JR ?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Just that I knew who I was looking for, and what!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

fra828 wrote:for page 3 of The Sun!
It was possible to get into the Sun and not be on Page 3.

Sun Page 9, Feb 9/73, Joanne Franklyn (sister of OB´s John, Richard and Josephine Hopgood), shows the steps to the "new" Tango with Mud lead singer Les Gray.

Another dance craze that went nowhere, along with Mud, I presume.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)