Expelled

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Expelled

Post by Spoonbill »

I was wondering whether anyone at all gets expelled from Christ's Hospital these days, what with schools being so very PC and inclusionist.

Back in my day, you could get the heave-ho for an assortment of reasons, most of which would probably be contrary to human rights legislation now. I'm guessing that kids who don't toe the line or fit the mould these days would probably be seen as needing 'help' of some sort, rather than being seen as Satan's minions.

Apart from murder and arson, are there any regularly-resorted-to grounds for booting a pupil out of Housey in this day and age?

And can you still get expelled for taking the piss (a.k.a. 'undermining authority')? Or do the Head Teachers just steer you towards a career in stand-up comedy?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Expelled

Post by J.R. »

Nice to see you back, Spoony, and I await some replies from some of the YOBS !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Well now !!!

The only person, whom I recall, being expelled in my time, was a certain "Black Douglas" ----

He stole a rifle and ammunition, together with a box of grenades, and detonators, from the Armoury, which used to be situated down by the old Swimming Baths. (Security ?? --- this was during the War !!)
He then set up a "Firing Squad" which involved a terrified Junior, who screamed as he ran away, and BD went on the run.

Some days later, when he was re-captured, he was --- un-surprisingly Expelled.

I believe he resumed his education at Dulwich ----- but I may be being libellous !

I imagine that with his flair, he probably finished up as a Captain of Industry, or a Capo di Capo !!
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Several girls expelled in my time at Hertford. Reasons that I can remember include: persistent running away , being caught smoking more than once -and posing topless for page 3 of The Sun! - Other Hertford OG's of late 60's early 70's era may remember this incident and the girl involved?! You could also be 'asked to leave' or 'suspended' for more minor 'offences'.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

fra828 wrote:Several girls expelled in my time at Hertford. Reasons that I can remember include: persistent running away , being caught smoking more than once -and posing topless for page 3 of The Sun! - Other Hertford OG's of late 60's early 70's era may remember this incident and the girl involved?! You could also be 'asked to leave' or 'suspended' for more minor 'offences'.

REALLY ?????? :shock:
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Oh yes...pupils still get expelled or rather, "asked to leave"
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mrs C. wrote:Oh yes...pupils still get expelled or rather, "asked to leave"

What if they say...... NO ??
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

J.R. wrote:
fra828 wrote:Several girls expelled in my time at Hertford. Reasons that I can remember include: persistent running away , being caught smoking more than once -and posing topless for page 3 of The Sun! - Other Hertford OG's of late 60's early 70's era may remember this incident and the girl involved?! You could also be 'asked to leave' or 'suspended' for more minor 'offences'.

REALLY ?????? :shock:
Yes I can remember it clearly, a red haired girl, who I won't name for obvious reasons. A copy of the paper was smuggled into the school and passed round, we thought it incredibly daring! :!: Would be interested to know if anyone else remembers this??
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Incredibly daring indeed! I hope the photo made her a few bob?

I was wondering how DR, not really a dedicated soaraway Sun reader, would have found out.

The affair must have passed beneath my radar. Ooh, don't suppose you have any more details? A teensy pm maybe?

Fascinating!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Battersea boys from the Grammar school were evacuated to Hertford, but there was insufficient lab space for them so they used one of our labs, and in consequence had to go through the lab where girls were working. One girl who came from Battersea was caught leaving a not for one of the boys behind a loose brick in a wall near a gate, and was expelled.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:Incredibly daring indeed! I hope the photo made her a few bob?

I was wondering how DR, not really a dedicated soaraway Sun reader, would have found out.

The affair must have passed beneath my radar. Ooh, don't suppose you have any more details? A teensy pm maybe?

Fascinating!

When the Page 3 craze really got under way, I believe it was £500 for a completely topless shot.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

[quote="Angela Woodford"]Incredibly daring indeed! I hope the photo made her a few bob?

Fascinating![/quote

Probably word got round to the housemistress... And then on to DR! As far as I remember we somehow heard that the said girl got a good few bob. If it was £500 JR, it would have been a fortune at the time! PM sent Angela!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

me too please, I don't remember this.

Daughter has just signed up with an agency and said she is willing to do nudity. don't think she has the (ahem) assets for Page 3 tho'. She does NOT take after me in that department.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

midget wrote:Battersea boys from the Grammar school were evacuated to Hertford, but there was insufficient lab space for them so they used one of our labs, and in consequence had to go through the lab where girls were working. One girl who came from Battersea was caught leaving a not for one of the boys behind a loose brick in a wall near a gate, and was expelled.
There's a charming account in "Away from the Bombs and the Boys" of maintaining out-of-lab contact with the Battersea Boys! Expelled for leaving a note behind a brick in a wall! Right at the end of her school career too, I suppose. Just before her 'A' levels? What a shame! I hope she went on to a distinguished scientific career + oodles of romance.

(Thought of you today Maggie; picking a few tumbling tomatoes!)
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

I think having sex on the grounds (and being caught) was grounds for expulsion in my day.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02