FOUNDATION HYMN

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: FOUNDATION HYMN

Post by Richard Ruck »

Fjgrogan wrote:Is it not likely that on this occasion the band was used specifically because of the recording?
A brass section drawn from members of the band was often used in the Chapel on special occasions, so that's probably the case here.

As in John's time, we also used to get out and about. I remember playing in a brass group in places like Brighton, Worth Abbey, and others. Mostly early music stuff - Gabrieli, Byrd, Scheidt, Praetorius, etc. Very enjoyable, too.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

jhopgood wrote:
michael scuffil wrote: In 1964 or 1965 an edition of Songs of Praise was recorded in CH chapel, complete with staff and their wives in their Sunday best. (I remember David Jesson-Dibley saying how unimaginative the production had been.) I wonder if there are any recordings of that around. Probably not, for the reason given above.
I remember that.
They had the announcer and the credit screen set up by the exit at the altar end. As Barnes B we were just about opposite.
Those were the days. Physical credit screens!!
Th.B. 27 1955-63
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Does anyone on this forum not recognize themselves -or anyone else -in this?
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Only just caught up with this, but cannot view Youtube at work.

There was a Sydney Carter special Songs of Praise filmed about that time (although I though I was 3rd form, so 84?) which this might be - I will have to review at home and post something more meaningful later :oops:
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

The only time we got "Out and about" locally, as members of the Band, was when the three Silver Bugles each went to a local church to perform the Last Post and Reveille --- but of course it was Wartime ! (The Boer ?) :oops:
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

When were the Junior Houses abolished?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

What was a "Junior House "? are we talking about the Prep ?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:What was a "Junior House "? are we talking about the Prep ?
No Neill.

In 1966 (although the preparations began a year or two previously) Prep A and Prep B became Leigh Hunt A and Leigh Hunt B which were known as junior houses along with Maine and Barnes (both A and B). Boys entered a junior house and left for a senior house at the end of their LE /LF year and this set up carried on considerably beyond my time but I am not sure when houses reverted to having both seniors and juniors together.

I think, possibly at the time of the merger when some houses were taken over by the girls, the allocation of houses was subsequently changed so that, for example, Maine B was the junior house whereas Maine A was the senior house but I do not know when the concept of separate senior and junior houses was completely abolished.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Junior and Senior houses were mooted at various times, but the decision in principle came in 1960 (by then the expansion of Deps and Grecians had seriously changed the age-balance of the school). The next thing was to get the money for the necessary conversions. One item in the money-raising was the "Festival of Christ's Hospital", held on two Saturdays and a Wednesday at the end of the School Year 1962/63, by which time building work had already started. Yours Truly played the Duke of Cambridge in the Pageant (written and master-minded by David Jesson-Dibley) which formed the highlight of the Festival.

From the boys' point of view, this was a change almost on a par with moving from London. I didn't myself live to see it, so to speak, but I was there during the run up. It was to George Seaman's great credit that he pushed it through against some opposition (mainly from Old Blues) on the Council.

At the time it was thought to be the reform of the century. Little did we know...
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Katharine wrote:Some of the boys look so small they must be 9, rather than 11.
How I agree, Katharine! Aren't they sweet little boys? Perhaps I should have been a school Sister in the sick bay...

I'd have looked after them!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
TrueBlue
3rd Former

Post by TrueBlue »

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Angela Woodford wrote:
How I agree, Katharine! Aren't they sweet little boys? Perhaps I should have been a school Sister in the sick bay...

One of the privileges of being a woman is that you can gush publicly about the charms of choirboys...
Th.B. 27 1955-63
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Angela --- you should know that the sweetest looking little boys, are usually the greatest little Terrors ! :lol:

I Know -- I brought up two of them, blonde hair, one curly, one straight, blue eyes, --- butter wouldn't melt --

Unfortunately, at 57 and 52 they take after their Father !! :oops:

I still look at the old photos -- and sigh ! :(

Thanks for all the information about Junior Houses --- I now understand.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:

One of the privileges of being a woman is that you can gush publicly about the charms of choirboys...

.. or be someone called Jonathan King ? :shock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Huh! :oops:

I just happen to have strong maternal instincts! Think of the torments awaiting those little boys once out of Chapel! Cold baths, beatings, bullyings, dog poo in pockets, the dreaded "milkings", sleeping in primitive conditions on board beds; all the dire stuff that has been reported via the Forum...
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""