Bokkers Today

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Re: Bokkers Today

Post by postwarblue »

Re barbers, the one I remember from when I was in the Prep 1946-7 was called the sheep-shearer and operated in the boot room of each house in turn .. until the operation was couthed up and a permanent barbers' shop established in the Court Room annexe.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Postwarblue --- That must be the chap I remember 1940-1946 !

You must be nearly as ancient as I am !!!!! :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Postwarblue --- That must be the chap I remember 1940-1946 !

You must be nearly as ancient as I am !!!!! :lol:

Tea-Dance anyone ?? :rock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Neill you are definitely my revered senior -- I was Prep B 46-7, Col B 47-54. But you might have been the towering figure who gave me an upperite fotch in the Tube when I was in the prep. (You can explain fotch to the wimmin on this forum in case they get the wrong idea ..)
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Re Tea Dances ---

When I was about 10, my Mother, who was a superb Ballroom Dancer, with many Awards, used to take me to Tea Dances, in Bournemouth Pavilion.

This I HATED ! -- :oops:

But when I became 18, I was very grateful ---- How did one meeet Girls ?

At the local "Hop"--- and if you were a good dancer ------ Weyhey !

Nowadays, people gyrate abouy a metre away from each other ------ how can you get a grip on a Girl ?

Postwarblue --- no not I -- in my time (Here we go again ! :oops: ) the Tube was sandbagged off, between Houses --
Not Guilty M'Lud !----- but what were you up to ?-- ( Up to what, were you ? --- Englishangel watches !)
Gilly6
2nd Former

Post by Gilly6 »

I remember the Bokkers being South African when I was there, along with the lovely Jo of course (sighs deeply!), the lads I was friendly with were Mornay and Carl, can't remember any others..
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

No, no, no!

Bockers were people like Jack Hards (oink! oink!) and his assistant Squit Wells.
Last edited by yamaha on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

There were also - sort of - female bockers like Eadie who covered everything in a foul substance called "Scrim" when she wasn't polishing the floors with a large rotary machine and liberal dollops of viscous crimson wax.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

yamaha wrote:.
No, no, no!

Bockers were people like Jack Hards (oink! oink!) and his assistant Squit Wells.

WOW !

Those names bring back memories !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I think Hards and Wells worked in the Prep. I remember being regaled by ex-preps (I wasn't one) with tales of their obtuse rusticalities.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
theonlyrick
2nd Former

Post by theonlyrick »

Some of the bokkers were grumpy old men - for some reason not enjoying working on minimum wage, piling out slops to screaming teenagers. It felt like the relationship was based on class - sort of 'upstairs/downstairs'.

Some of the bokkers (like some of the pupils) were actually smart and friendly, but they were in the minority. I remember nearly buying a pearlescent Stratocaster-style electric guitar from one of the bokkers (Simon, with big mane of curly hair).

Bokker wasn't a hate-filled word, but it certainly had negative connotations. In the 90's, getting a cup of tea for a senior boy was called bokkering.

Anyone from my era remember the chef who, due to his scary demeanour, won the enviable nickname of 'Meat Cleaver'?

Or when Fairfield catering added pepper to the rice pudding... After enough people complained, they brought out the emergency supplies of ice cream.

I was back for OBD over the weekend and I couldn't believe it when I saw the head of catering, Mr Blunden. One of the teachers said he's retiring in the next few days, so he's been there at least 15 years.

R.
PeB - PeA, '89-'96
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

theonlyrick wrote:In the 90's, getting a cup of tea for a senior boy was called bokkering.
We use it in the family as a term for doing household/menial jobs (mostly my domain). Also 'sticking and licking' (a Hertford term) for mass clearing up sessions before Christmas, holidays, spring cleaning etc. and 'klepping' for nicking something/borrowing without asking.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

cj wrote:
theonlyrick wrote:In the 90's, getting a cup of tea for a senior boy was called bokkering.
We use it in the family as a term for doing household/menial jobs (mostly my domain). Also 'sticking and licking' (a Hertford term) for mass clearing up sessions before Christmas, holidays, spring cleaning etc. and 'klepping' for nicking something/borrowing without asking.
Meatcleaver (who was the head chef iirc) was a scary whatsit...
Mike Blunden I think had been head of catering for over 20 years...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99