Future of"Master Plan"-where will money come from?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

Phewee. Maybe we can all relax a little, but not take our eye off the situation altogether.

This topic has really highlighted how a lack of communication can lead to a huge amount of distrust and bad feeling.
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

eloisec wrote:Phewee. Maybe we can all relax a little, but not take our eye off the situation altogether.

This topic has really highlighted how a lack of communication can lead to a huge amount of distrust and bad feeling.
I know - I think it's something of a worry but certainly up to the medium term, it will not happen...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
spiderlegs
3rd Former

I know - I think it's something of a worry but certainly up

Post by spiderlegs »

'I know - I think it's something of a worry but certainly up to the medium term, it will not happen...'

As I understand it, the Council of Almoners has applied to the charities Commission already to change the method of accounting to Total Return - thereby paving the way to sell off chunks of the Foundations assets.
However, it is expected in some circles that the request will be refused.
If that turns out to be the case, the Almoners will have to turn to other sources of potential income to see through their disastrous 'Masterplan'.
Hence the issue of admitting over 360 Day Pupils - which is perfectly in their right to do because they slotted a clause into the Constitution back in 1990.
Add to that their current attempts to get planning permission to change the Station Yard into a housing estate and you suddenly have a set of extremely desirable properties on the School's doorstep. Those parents who can afford them are in the perfect position to send their offspring to CH as day pupils. Given the price of housing in West Sussex, these day pupils won't share much of the principles of helping needy pupils.
These changes aren't a long way off - they're right there on the horizon and will be here sooner than you think if the Council of Almoners have their way.
The Ridley Society is also acting very soon - their next letter will be on the web site by tomorrow and a precie will be posted up here. It asks some very interesting questions...
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: I know - I think it's something of a worry but certainly

Post by Great Plum »

spiderlegs wrote:'I know - I think it's something of a worry but certainly up to the medium term, it will not happen...'

As I understand it, the Council of Almoners has applied to the charities Commission already to change the method of accounting to Total Return - thereby paving the way to sell off chunks of the Foundations assets.
However, it is expected in some circles that the request will be refused.
If that turns out to be the case, the Almoners will have to turn to other sources of potential income to see through their disastrous 'Masterplan'.
Hence the issue of admitting over 360 Day Pupils - which is perfectly in their right to do because they slotted a clause into the Constitution back in 1990.
Add to that their current attempts to get planning permission to change the Station Yard into a housing estate and you suddenly have a set of extremely desirable properties on the School's doorstep. Those parents who can afford them are in the perfect position to send their offspring to CH as day pupils. Given the price of housing in West Sussex, these day pupils won't share much of the principles of helping needy pupils.
These changes aren't a long way off - they're right there on the horizon and will be here sooner than you think if the Council of Almoners have their way.
The Ridley Society is also acting very soon - their next letter will be on the web site by tomorrow and a precie will be posted up here. It asks some very interesting questions...
Trust me, I know, it's not happening in the short - to medium term...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:A close source at CH has told me that there is no chance of day pupils at CH for the foreseeable future!
Probably not, Plum, though I DID find it a tad strange on reading a promo for C.H. a few months ago, which seemed to infer that The School was looking to recruit MAINLY from the Home Counties !!

In my day, pupils came from all over the U.K.

Some statistics of 'then and now' regarding the home location of pupils might be very interesting.
Ian Stannard
3rd Former

Post by Ian Stannard »

I agree with Great Plum abouth the Day pupil bit - will be interested to see what happens when the new Head is appointed!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

New head?? Who/when/why - first I've heard about this one (or should that be hurd :wink: )

Also, so what will the school do if the "Total Return" is turned down??
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
lvesey
3rd Former

Post by lvesey »

jtaylor wrote:New head?? Who/when/why - first I've heard about this one (or should that be hurd :wink: )
I thought everyone knew?

congratulations Mr. Nick Leeson
Ian Stannard
3rd Former

Post by Ian Stannard »

jtaylor wrote:New head?? Who/when/why - first I've heard about this one (or should that be hurd :wink: )

Also, so what will the school do if the "Total Return" is turned down??
The current Head is due to retire in two years, along with the Clerk and the Chairman of the Almoners. When these three go together the power vacuum will be hard to fill. Besides, new brooms do kick up dust!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Putting in for the Job, Ian ??? :roll:
Ian Stannard
3rd Former

Post by Ian Stannard »

Not this time round!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I've split this topic into two, as getting a bit big.
Restarted as new topic "Master Plan - What are Almoners trying to achieve?" from the update post regarding the second letter to the Clerk.
All replies to that have moved with it, into the new topic.
Link to new topic:- Click HERE

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.