Theatre "heavy" for Blue Nights

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

stpandp
LE (Little Erasmus)

Theatre "heavy" for Blue Nights

Post by stpandp »

Really enjoyed the Blue Night at the theatre yesterday, some wonderful performances, but was surprised that before the beginning it was announced "photography and video recording is illegal due to the young nature of the performers, and anyone found taking photos or videos will have their equipment confiscated". While I know that flash photography can be distracting, and taking photos during a chapel service may not be appropriate, I wonder how parents are now meant to record important milestones in their child's life at CH? I know Neil Fleming was taking photos, and I do hope the school find some way of marketing these to parents and others, and maybe also investigate DVD's of significant school events, which I'm sure parents would appreciate, and could possibly make money for the school.

Is this restriction a new school policy, I wonder, and if so, does it only apply to the theatre, or can we expect it to be applied to (e.g.) St Matthew's Day, Lunch Parade or Beating Retreat?

I will email the school on Monday and see what the official policy is and keep you posted.
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Re: Theatre "heavy" for Blue Nights

Post by dinahcat »

Is it something to do with data protection? In state schools you have to sign a document saying you will allow your child's photo to be taken and published. I know there have been problems with issues surrounding users of the internet who look for photos of children -if you get my meaning.There are also issues with split families where a parent does not know where a child is and isn't allowed contact for fear of violence and what ever. I know that some parents in my daughter's school do not allow them to have their photo taken at school events and so if there is a production which includes that child the school has a problem. They either take no photos, remove the photo of said child or run about like mad things trying to take photos which don't include that particular child. If they let parents take photos and they then get posted on the internet they have a problem so they just say no photos at all. Very sad but a sign of the times I suppose
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

I'm sure we've signed forms giving permission for CH to use pictures of our children in marketing material.

There were loads of people in the audience taking photos at the Christmas Big Band Concert.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

It may be something completely different, but I was told that every time I wanted to include the photograph of a pupil in the Old Blue, it had to have the ok of the school. This is because in some cases the parents/guardians will not allow photos of their children to be published, for whatever reason. The school has to carry out these instructions, or it can get itself into unnecessary trouble.
I suppose a ban is the easiest solution.
The only photos I have included have been those from the Founder's Day Dinner, which the CHA office select and send to me.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

stpandp wrote:Really enjoyed the Blue Night at the theatre yesterday, some wonderful performances, but was surprised that before the beginning it was announced "photography and video recording is illegal due to the young nature of the performers, and anyone found taking photos or videos will have their equipment confiscated".
I very much doubt that it would be illegal to take photographs and, even if it was, I cannot see who would have the right to confiscate the photographic equipment; that would be theft and therefore in itself illegal unless caried out by a duly authorised person, ie a Police Officer or someone with a properly approved warrant! At best (worst) I suspect all the School could do would be to ask an offender to leave and subsequently take out a civil action in the event either of the photographs or videos being published on an open forum and a parent objecting to a specific photograph or video.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'm sure we've covered this old chestnut before.

All public swimming-baths have notices up, banning photo's, which I can understand to a certain degree.

We have the same problem in youth football, which does seem a trifle over the top as far as child protection is concerned.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

JR says "U'm sure we have covered this old "Chestnut" before "-----
As I get older (And Older !) I groan.
Should this Topic be referred to "Health and Safety Too Far "
In our current Legalistic Society, everyone seems to be terrified of being sued. Have you noticed that, since Lawyers were permitted to advertise on TV ---- they lurk at every corner !
I now expect a writ in the post ! :? [quote][/quote]
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

What about when the school marches through London on St Matthew's Day or the band plays at the Menin Gate - or any other public outdoor engagement? A ban on photography would simply be impracticable. That said, I can see that taking photographs in Chapel is disresepectful. Further, musical./theatrical performances indoors are in a different category because it interrupts the performers and disturbs others in the audience.
:shock:
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Foureyes wrote:That said, I can see that taking photographs in Chapel is disresepectful.
I'm inclined to disagree. Last term they ran a christmas card competition, and I wanted to get a photo during a chapel service. Luckily it was a choice chapel so I was allowed to simply sit in the gallery. That, coupled with not using a flash - basically being discreet - ensured that I didn't distract someone. And got some lovely shots.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
LJG
3rd Former

Post by LJG »

It may simply be to prevent the whereabouts of vulnerable children placed at CH becoming public knowledge. Of necessity since the frequent use of Facebook, and indeed this site where photos are posted, has made it more likely for a child's whereabouts to be inadvertently revealed. The school needs to be seen to be particularly vigilant to ensure those few children who need protection are not identified. I agree it was handled in a clumsy, heavy handed way though - for the future, perhaps a sentence at the bottom of the theatre brochure would be more appropriate?