Was CH Horsham Designed to Be Gay?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Was CH Horsham Designed to Be Gay?

Post by sejintenej »

michael scuffil wrote:
It was in the CH bogs that I became aware of a phenomenon which I later included in a seminar paper for a phonetics class. I realized that even though the door was closed, from my position behind it I could recognize who had entered by the sound of the grunts and coughs and yawns they made, although they might not actually speak. This has important implications for voice-recognition software (honest!).

I can understand some of that but surely the grunts were based on the size, hardness and lubrication of the anal effluent? You could sometimes, after an ugh ugh ugh get an aaaaahhhhhh of pleasure?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

sejintenej wrote:
michael scuffil wrote:
It was in the CH bogs that I became aware of a phenomenon which I later included in a seminar paper for a phonetics class. I realized that even though the door was closed, from my position behind it I could recognize who had entered by the sound of the grunts and coughs and yawns they made, although they might not actually speak. This has important implications for voice-recognition software (honest!).

I can understand some of that but surely the grunts were based on the size, hardness and lubrication of the anal effluent? You could sometimes, after an ugh ugh ugh get an aaaaahhhhhh of pleasure?

Actually, I wasn't thinking of the other cubicles, but of people coming in to use the urinal. But the point is not really affected. People's vocal tracts are different, and these differences determine the resonances. When the important thing is to determine who is speaking (as in voice recognition), rather than what is said, these resonances can be crucial, especially as they are much more difficult to falsify than the articulation of sounds. And while the detailed acoustics of the grunt might be affected by a variety of factors, the vocal tract is highly individual.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I wonder if there is an Open University course on the above subject ??

:mrgreen:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

There was a story going the rounds in my days at CH that a certain Senior House Master, better not mention his name, used to sit in the downstairs lavatories
with a Housey Coat draped over the door so that he could listen in to boys' gossip. I can say that he was not in Coleridge A but in the eastern end of the Avenue.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Kit Bartlett wrote:There was a story going the rounds in my days at CH that a certain Senior House Master, better not mention his name, used to sit in the downstairs lavatories
with a Housey Coat draped over the door so that he could listen in to boys' gossip. I can say that he was not in Coleridge A but in the eastern end of the Avenue.
I hadn't heard the story, but his identity is not hard to guess.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

At least Kit narrowed the possibilities down by 50%.

Maybe not during my time as I never heard this specific 'rumour'
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:At least Kit narrowed the possibilities down by 50%.

Maybe not during my time as I never heard this specific 'rumour'
Can't say I heard anything about Kit. If Gay is the 18th century British disease then I only attracted the attention of a paddy (according it it's name) and a GP ( NOT Dr Scott for whom I have great respect)

Very much a scene which holds no interest for me
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I meant Kit Bartlett had narrowed it down by dicounting half of the avenue !!

8)