Station Yard development

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

ben ashton
Grecian

Station Yard development

Post by ben ashton »

Public Inquiry
Following a Public Inquiry on Tuesday, 12 June regarding the Station Yard development at Christ's Hospital, Mike Simpkin, Chief Executive of Christ's Hospital Charitable Foundation, commented:

“The site in question has been considered suitable for housing development by Horsham District Council for some while. It is classified as a Brownfield site because it has previous and existing industrial uses. In its current form it is visually unattractive and spoils the amenity of nearby residents, especially those who occupy new housing built recently near the site.

“The number of units proposed is modest and is in accordance with the numbers expected by Horsham District Council. Importantly, we fully understand and support the need for there to be a proportion of affordable/rental properties in order to increase the scant chance that many have to afford a home in or around Horsham.

“Its closeness to the railway station marks it as being sustainable and this is increased by the fact that Christ's Hospital is surrendering land to accommodate cars more safely. Additionally, our plans for roads and car parking leading to the Station have been most extensively and sensitively examined with the assistance of local residents. The current arrangements are both hazardous and especially dangerous at night, particularly for school children. The development will enable notable improvements to take place and has been designed to accommodate a bus service, a cycle path and a much-needed retail unit to bring additional benefits to potential home owners, including a very low risk of increased traffic.

“We have acted with all due consideration to the various issues, including protecting the amenity of those residents nearest to the railway line by aiming to improve their outlook with fencing, bushes and trees which will also help reduce any increase in noise from the car park. We will work with them to maintain their quality of life.”
Only just noticed this on the news bit of the CH website.
Any plans/other tidbits about this that I can nosily reconnoitre available in the public domain?
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

well about 18mths parents house in King Edward Close was threatened with being knocked down along with houses along King Edward Road. Although i think this would come later in plan to what is mentioned in the statement. The school when realised that they would then need to build around 20 3/4 bedroom houses on sight may have changed their mind (policy if you are moved it has to be in same size of bigger).
As far as im aware it all went quite and nothing has happened
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

In WSCT recently it said planning permission had been refused - I think this was after an appeal too.

Watch this space!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Well, now that I work in planning (albeit Reigate and Banstead Council), I should be able to shed some light...

if you go onto the Horsham District Council website, there should be a 'planning portal' where if you search for Christ's Hospital - you should find the plans etc... let me know what you find!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I've just spent 15 minutes scanning through the planning section of Horsham District Council web-site but can't find anything.

It's not easy without an original planning application number, OR an exact address and post-code referring to the application.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

You could phone up HDC and they should be able to help...

I would have said that the address would be something like Station Yard, Christ's Hospital Station etc...
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:You could phone up HDC and they should be able to help...

I would have said that the address would be something like Station Yard, Christ's Hospital Station etc...
I may give that a try tomorrow, if I have time Matt !
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

it was suggested almost two years ago now so not sure if planning permission would still be valid etc
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

If planning permisson is granted, it is normally valid for 5 years.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I still can't find it Matt.

Surely you must have made some contacts with Horsham DC by now ?
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Google found This
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

AndrewH wrote:Google found This

That is clear enough; not sufficient demonstrated need so application turned down flat. Further, Southwater already has more than enough affordable housing. There is already a public enquiry in view to consider a request to increase the size of the station car park.

No doubt there will be "negotiations" and if this is reversed then we have to wonder about what has happened behind the scenes. I am concerned that de facto they were considering the destruction of mature weald woodland. Hardly very "green"
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well done Andrew !!

Just read through all the Council speak, so I would take the councils decision still as a 'NO'

The problem here in Mole Valley, (Dorking/Leatherhead area), 3 out of the four planning applications that get turned down by the M.V. District Council are then over-ridden on appeal by Governemnt inspectors.

Something to do with our ex '2 Jags Prescott's' wonderful plan to build millions of homes in the already congested South. No where near his whippet and cloth cap home, then ?? :twisted:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

J.R. wrote:Well done Andrew !!

Just read through all the Council speak, so I would take the councils decision still as a 'NO'

The problem here in Mole Valley, (Dorking/Leatherhead area), 3 out of the four planning applications that get turned down by the M.V. District Council are then over-ridden on appeal by Governemnt inspectors.

Something to do with our ex '2 Jags Prescott's' wonderful plan to build millions of homes in the already congested South. No where near his whippet and cloth cap home, then ?? :twisted:
That will be a no at the moment...

I don't know anyone at HDC - there would be little need for me to as councils don't speak to each other and it's in another county!

Interestingly, in the 17 appeals that I have had to deal with here at R&B, only 2 of them were overturned by the inspectorate...
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:
J.R. wrote:Well done Andrew !!

That will be a no at the moment...

I don't know anyone at HDC - there would be little need for me to as councils don't speak to each other and it's in another county!

Interestingly, in the 17 appeals that I have had to deal with here at R&B, only 2 of them were overturned by the inspectorate...
You surprise me Matt.

When I was with M.V.D.C., I had regular contact with opposite numbers, both with yours and Epsom & Ewell !