Non-members, non-posting members and general coyness

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Non-members, non-posting members and general coyness

Post by Ajarn Philip »

The first thing I want to make absolutely clear is that I'm not having a go at anyone.

I've done a very unscientific survey of the membership list and reckon that (very approximately) around 60 members have kept the forum going since it was started (and well done, Julian, by the way.) About half that number have been there most of the time, the rest have either joined more recently or stopped contributing at some point. I've tried not to be conservative in my assessment.

Let's say there are about new 130 pupils per year (sorry, I haven't looked it up), that makes over 6,000 over the last 50 years.

I was delighted to find the forum (it's my first) and have enjoyed having many happy (and some not so happy) memories restored to me, as well as a bit of (usually) friendly banter. I'm not for a moment suggesting that anyone should feel obliged to contribute on a daily, or weekly, or monthly basis, but I'm curious to understand why there seems to be a happy, but quite small, band of regulars and hardly anyone else.

CH was home to me for seven years. My memories are mostly positive, but I obviously don't expect everyone to feel the same. But I can't imagine indifference. I expect responses from the regulars, but I'm hoping for some from the silent majority.

1. Why aren't there more members? Is it because the internet forum is still a minority interest, or has already become over-used and boring?

2. Why are there such a large number of members who look (apparently regularly), but don't touch?
This is the question that really intrigues me, and I'll reiterate that I'm genuinely not having a go, but I can't imagine finding this forum and keeping my mouth shut.

3. Why are so many members, whether regular posters or not, cautious about revealing their names? If it's an internet thing (sorry, but I'm not an experienced "webber"...), then I want to know if I'm being daft putting my real name and general whereabouts on here, if it's not - why be coy?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think this question has been asked before and no conclusions were drawn.

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to any of it.

For example, of all the female OBs on here well over half (at a quick count) are from my years and 4/5 years either side. On the bell curve Class of '72 is definitely the peak.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Your thoughts go along similar lines to mine concerning the CHA, Old Blue magazine and similar.
I have no idea how many Old Blues actually read or even want the Old Blue magazine, as it is incredibly difficult to get representative feedback. It is sent to about 7,000 Old Blues, and when we surveyed the 3,500 CH Club members, we got about 200 replies.
A limited number write and are willing to contribute when called on, and there are irregular updates from Old Blues related to their activities and obituaries, but the numbers are few.
Similarly, when the CHA has an activity for all Old Blues, whether the Carol Service or Old Blues Day, a similar number (around 300) turn up, of whom about 100 are what one could consider as "Hard Core".
I firmly believe that the Old Blue magazine has a role in keeping Old Blues in contact with each other and CH, but frequently struggle with what could be called "Return on Effort".
However, being and having been involved in other "voluntary" activities, it is apparent that it is a small number of people who are willing to do something and get involved, where as the vast majority are happy to watch what is going on, dip their feet in when they feel like it, and make whatever comment they feel appropriate without getting involved. This last comment obviously excludes anyone who is a regular contributor to this forum.
A simplistic answer is that once the novelty effect has worn off, people stay in touch with those who have a common, probably narrower, interest, and the remainder dip in on specific subject where they have something to say.
Special interest groups are by their nature, small, and we should just enjoy what we have, and hope others are also entertained.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I'm sure Old Blues are not alone in that the corporate body is made up of a minority which is active and a majority which is passive. Does not mean that those who are 'passive' do not enjoy e.g. The Old Blue - just that they (for whatever reason) do not want to interact.
Most Old Blues are still in touch with some of their peers ('hard core' people - thanks JH! - like me, are still touch with virtually all of theirs), and as you say, the Special Interest/Regional groups are active but have relatively few members. So I believe that the contacts from the 'hard core' do spread out well beyond those who are involved either centrally or peripherally - and when one stands back and compares CH with other schools one gets the impression that the bonds between us as former pupils are not only more numerous but a lot stronger.
For instance, no-one with whom I work is still in touch with even one schoolfriend, let alone hundreds....

So, Phil, I don't think we really have anything to be apologetic about. And when one compares the 'fraternity' side of life under CHA with that of the former CH Club, it is indeed stronger, larger and more vibrant - and that's entirely down to the energies of the 'newcomers' into the alumni scene, like Julian and Lou and others like them, such as Kate and her activities with Young Old Blues.

'et floreat, ut floruit'!

Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Also, those of us who post regularly do so, I think, precisely because we "know" each other and feel at ease - I remember the trepidation with which I wrote my first posts, not at all sure whether the tone or content were right.
When you re-read the threads, it does sometimes seem that this is something of a "closed shop", which is a shame as the more and wider input, the richer the content.
So lets hope that some of the passive readers embolden themselves and add their tuppence-worth from time to time !

B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Euterpe13 wrote:Also, those of us who post regularly do so, I think, precisely because we "know" each other and feel at ease - I remember the trepidation with which I wrote my first posts, not at all sure whether the tone or content were right.
When you re-read the threads, it does sometimes seem that this is something of a "closed shop", which is a shame as the more and wider input, the richer the content.
So lets hope that some of the passive readers embolden themselves and add their tuppence-worth from time to time !
B.
I take your point, Barbara, but in a way this is my main point. It only looks like a closed shop because there is a (comparative) handful of contributors. I ploughed through a whole bundle of threads before I joined, but at the end of the day, "joining" is a lot easier than introducing yourself to a group of strangers at your average English party! It can't possibly be a lack of boldness, surely!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Non-members, non-posting members and general coyness

Post by Mid A 15 »

Ajarn Philip wrote:The first thing I want to make absolutely clear is that I'm not having a go at anyone.

I've done a very unscientific survey of the membership list and reckon that (very approximately) around 60 members have kept the forum going since it was started (and well done, Julian, by the way.) About half that number have been there most of the time, the rest have either joined more recently or stopped contributing at some point. I've tried not to be conservative in my assessment.

Let's say there are about new 130 pupils per year (sorry, I haven't looked it up), that makes over 6,000 over the last 50 years.

I was delighted to find the forum (it's my first) and have enjoyed having many happy (and some not so happy) memories restored to me, as well as a bit of (usually) friendly banter. I'm not for a moment suggesting that anyone should feel obliged to contribute on a daily, or weekly, or monthly basis, but I'm curious to understand why there seems to be a happy, but quite small, band of regulars and hardly anyone else.

CH was home to me for seven years. My memories are mostly positive, but I obviously don't expect everyone to feel the same. But I can't imagine indifference. I expect responses from the regulars, but I'm hoping for some from the silent majority.

1. Why aren't there more members? Is it because the internet forum is still a minority interest, or has already become over-used and boring?

The members we have are in the main from Friends Reunited or, like me, stumbled across the forum looking for something else.

I think also there will be an element of youngsters (under 40 say) being too busy with careers and families and older people (over 70 say) perhaps not being internet savvy.

I take your point about CH not leaving people indifferent but those that hated it may not wish to rekindle negative memories.

2. Why are there such a large number of members who look (apparently regularly), but don't touch?
This is the question that really intrigues me, and I'll reiterate that I'm genuinely not having a go, but I can't imagine finding this forum and keeping my mouth shut.

I can understand "lurking" as a guest and therefore not posting.

However I cannot understand why one would bother to register if there is no intention to post although I take Barbara's point about "fitting in."

3. Why are so many members, whether regular posters or not, cautious about revealing their names? If it's an internet thing (sorry, but I'm not an experienced "webber"...), then I want to know if I'm being daft putting my real name and general whereabouts on here, if it's not - why be coy?
Fear of identity theft and spam is a factor in my trying to give enough personal information to be recognised as a genuine Old Blue by genuine Old Blues but not enough for anyone to make real use of it.

Others, if they want to be frank about their experiences for cathartic reasons, may prefer to preserve their anonymity.

Ultimately though Phil there's nowt so queer as folk and everybody has their own reasons for acting as they do.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I take the point about some older OBs being scared of the internet, or of computers in general. I bash away, while still believing that the whole thing is magic! If I get into a mess, my husband (82, and not afraid of a computer) generally sorts it out.
Right from the start,I have found forum members to be friendly, helpful, and not above taking the ****. In other words people I would want as friends. I am however still trying to get one member tostart posting, although we are in email cotact after she saw one of my posts on here.

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Euterpe13 wrote:Also, those of us who post regularly do so, I think, precisely because we "know" each other and feel at ease - I remember the trepidation with which I wrote my first posts, not at all sure whether the tone or content were right.

B.
I'm not convinced, Barbara. Posting was not a problem, even at the satart but actually going to meet someone else - that was really scary. Thank goodness Mrs C couldn't turn up (not that I have anything against her) - meeting one person was bad but double the experience .........
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

IMHO Forums occupy a strange social position, allowing like minded individuals to indulge while geographically disperse in a way not easily possible before.

I actively contribute to 4 forums (3 Land Rover Clubs and this one) and feel I know a hell of a lot of people, and it is very strange to then meet them in real life, but good fun - at least you know you have at least one common interest! However for 2 of the clubs there are over 1000 paid up members, but maybe less than 100 regular forum users, so it is not just here.

I think there is still a huge a mount of people who are just not comfortable or confident with IT yet, and do not know/want to know about the internet - I think regular community members are still a huge minority in the grand scheme of things.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I agree with much of Mid A's reply to Phil, especially that there's nowt so queer as folk - especially OBs!!!

I actively contribute to two fora. The other one is almost entirely female and is based on one of my main hobbies. There we spark ideas off each other and also show off our creations! (Munch may guess what it is about!) Last year I stayed with someone I had 'met' online, in Auckland. We got on very well. Both on that forum and on this I 'lurked' before posting to get a feel for things.

Personally I enjoy each in different ways. Sometimes I have posted the same message on both and have been surprised at the very different reactions!

As to why people would register and then not post, I have no idea. One of my year in 6s sent me the address of this, but strange to say, she has posted just once, I think, and that was to request help from the OB network.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

sejintenej wrote:

B.
I'm not convinced, Barbara. Posting was not a problem, even at the start but actually going to meet someone else - that was really scary. Thank goodness Mrs C couldn't turn up (not that I have anything against her) - meeting one person was bad but double the experience .........
How strange.
Mrs C is a wonderful person who I met with RR in a pub. It's so much easier to communicate with someone you have never met if you already have a common starting point.
Mrs C may have a different viewpoint but I felt quite relaxed about the whole thing. (or maybe that was the beer).
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

How kind John! Thank you!

I must agree with you on the fact that it`s easier to meet someone in real life if you already know something about them. I `m not always very comfortable meeting people for the first time socially, but when I`ve met fellow forum members I`ve been quite relaxed about the whole thing.
Not being an OB myself doesn`t seem to bother anyone either!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote:
sejintenej wrote:I'm not convinced, Barbara. Posting was not a problem, even at the start but actually going to meet someone else - that was really scary. Thank goodness Mrs C couldn't turn up (not that I have anything against her) - meeting one person was bad but double the experience .........
How strange.
Mrs C is a wonderful person who I met with RR in a pub. It's so much easier to communicate with someone you have never met if you already have a common starting point.
Mrs C may have a different viewpoint but I felt quite relaxed about the whole thing. (or maybe that was the beer).
It's not the person - it's the upbringing. Since my early teens / late preteens I have always been totally terrified of meeting strangers and would do almost anything to avoid such a situation. I also dislike groups of people even if I now them all - brings back very bad memories. Of course I have to force myself into such situations but only to ensure that it is I who remains in control and not the other side.
As I wrote, I have nothing against Mrs C except that I don't knoiw her
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

sejintenej wrote:

B.
I'm not convinced, Barbara. Posting was not a problem, even at the satart but actually going to meet someone else - that was really scary. Thank goodness Mrs C couldn't turn up (not that I have anything against her) - meeting one person was bad but double the experience .........
Apologies if I worried you! :lol:

Actually, a Forum Christmas drink consisting of 2 people rather reinforces the general theme here!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?