Manual training.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

mr tall

Manual training.

Post by mr tall »

Had a bit of a frisson the other day outside a school in Stoke-on-Trent when I saw the carved stone over the entrance door announcing 'Manual Training'. The school was built about 1910.

Bought back some memories, mostly pleasant!
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Oh Yes... I wish I could go back and thank the Master (again) who taught me how to use a lathe. (having just switched off my lathe to have a break, have a sit down and a cup of tea!)
I loved the Manual School at CH and would have traded double maths for quad manual - any day. :D
John, (still working hard to put food on the table and shoes on the dog)
Back to work............
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Immediately thought of that "Lord of all Hopefulness" hymn. Possibly as I was having Chapel memories!

"Whose strong hands were skilled at the plane and the lathe" didn't it go?

At the nearest giant B & Q there is a DIY class for women to learn to use these and other tools. I've often though of joining! Manual Training!

Munch
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Our U3A branch has a "design and make" section with separate groups for men and women. The group is run by a former teacher, who does beautiful woodturning. Their house is always busy, because his wife runs 2 "creative textile" groups, known affectionately as Stich'n'Bitch or Pensioners Playgroup, depending on whether or not we are splashing around with fabric paints!

Maggie

PS the ladies are apparently VERY good at woodwork.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Another coincidence.
Just clearing out my mother's house and my wife came across the picture frame, made in woodwork. She nearly dumped it until I pointed out that J.M.Hopgood, 2A, was me.
Never been good at woodwork, which requires a fine hand not to gouge too much out.
Curious as I eventually did an apprenticeship with Vickers, made my own tools, was a dab hand on the shaper, where I made a duodecahedron. and taught mechanics as a volunteer in Costa Rica.
I did printing in my second year, which was far more suited to my lack of digital dexterity.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I am still using my pair of tile-toped table which I made for GCSE "Craft, Design and Technology" - they were in storage for years until I had my own house, and now take pride of place at either end of my sofa in the sitting room.

I remember them being tested by Eddie Crawford (one of the other guys in the class) sitting on the unsupported end of each table to prove the strength of my joints!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jtaylor wrote:I am still using my pair of tile-toped table which I made for GCSE "Craft, Design and Technology" - they were in storage for years until I had my own house, and now take pride of place at either end of my sofa in the sitting room.

I remember them being tested by Eddie Crawford (one of the other guys in the class) sitting on the unsupported end of each table to prove the strength of my joints!
Nice strong knees then, Julian ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

jtaylor wrote: the strength of my joints!
Thought that was an expellable offence...
Thornton 85-92
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

.... and I am still using 2 baskets made in the Manual School when I was in the Prep. They are signed D Eastburn Py 5. Py must stand for Preparatory, but what, Oh what, was the 5?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I seem to remember a number after Prep in my Design school stuff.

Could it have been the class number ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.