Growing Up in a War - Bryan Magee (Sex in the Sicker)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Did you engage in illicit liaisons at CH?

Yes
39%
No
44%
Not that I will admit to
17%

Total votes: 18

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Great Plum wrote:There are a number of stories that I could tell, but I fear that not enough time has elapsed since I left really...

I can say, tha tnone of them were about me!
I think the interest here is rather what happened than who was involved. (The who is often interesting too, but very often must be left unsaid).

Let's have some local colour as what happened behind Chelshams or on the old railway line (Vonny :) ); Strange garments appearing where they shouldn't; love in the lav-ends; breathless rendezvous in Shelley Wood; unusual scufflings in the tube etc etc. We all know "things" happened in our time, but what exactly is a tale worth telling ..... As Munch writes above, "Where ...?"

As for you, young Plum, we all know your piccolo was smaller than the Lamb B clarinet ....
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

cj wrote:
Vonny wrote:There was definitely a teacher/pupil relationship going on at Hertford when I was there. Horsham - I also knew of one but I was sworn to secrecy - I knew both parties involved.
I remember all those shenanigans too.

We are talking here about activities that meant immediate expulsion when I was at CH - and it wasn't half a century ago!
I'm sure the Hertford one I am talking about is the one you remember as well :lol: Wonder if we are talking about the same one (in particular) at Horsham :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Vonny on Wed May 02, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

DavebytheSea wrote:Let's have some local colour as what happened behind Chelshams or on the old railway line (Vonny) :)
:shock:

I think I'll leave that to your imagination :lol: I was 17 at the time :D
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: MAIDS

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
John Knight wrote:
Foureyes wrote:Don't know when the Spanish maids arrived. I remember Irish girls; the Eithne springs to mind.
I remember that name... she had the most wonderful way of walking... what I would call deportment with added spice!!
Were you at CH at the same time as me? - If so then we are talking about the same lady.
At least one of the kitchen staff was Finnish and very blonde in my day! JR must remember her - and the Italian lothario who wrongly thought he had propretorial rights. As for the sicker staff - my lips are sealed but she was quite a bit less than 33!

As for "faux de mieux" it was tried on me in the junior lav-end - just the once! Not my style
Gawd, Dave ! That brought memories flooding back ! Yes she was stunning, though I seem to recall, un-approachable.

There were a multitute of female Latin types, mostly with moustaches working the kitchens.

I remember a particular Grecian a couple years above me who was regularly doing the business in a secret hidy-hole near the lag with one of the prettier ones. They got discovered. He stayed, being academically brilliant. She disappeared overnight. Double standards, one asks ???

I had two lengthy stays in the sicker but cannot recall any romantic involvements. I don't remember the nurses being particulary sexy, though one, whose name escapes me was very caring when one was ill and away from home and Mum !

To be honest, Dr Mathews sex lectures gave one all the theory, but I didn't really get into the practical side of things until after I'd left.

Sorry to disappoint.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Old Blues Day

Post by Angela Woodford »

DavebytheSea wrote:I think the interest here is rather what happened than who was involved. (The who is often interesting too, but very often must be left unsaid).

Let's have some local colour as what happened behind Chelshams or on the old railway line (Vonny :) ); Strange garments appearing where they shouldn't; love in the lav-ends; breathless rendezvous in Shelley Wood; unusual scufflings in the tube etc etc. We all know "things" happened in our time, but what exactly is a tale worth telling ..... As Munch writes above, "Where ...?"
For those of us with no knowledge of Horsham, perhaps this could be a marvellous way of appreciating and discovering the CH campus on Old Blues Day? A sympathetic tour around this Chelshams, down into the tube where the scufflings happened, the romantic beauty of Shelley Wood and an appreciation of the erotic ambiance of the lav-ends! You see, I am beginning to find my way around already -

I'm still baffled as to where there was any opportunity for dalliance at Hertford. The thought occurs that it might have been possible to smuggle an amour up to The Flat! But since its occupants were bound to have been too Above that sort of thing.... I think?....

I'm sure Mary's friend must have been totally unique in her seduction of the Man on the Mower. Although I did once hear rumours that it was possible to talk to boys from the town over the wall behind the Chapel.

How much more exciting the sex lives of Horsham boys seem to have been!

Munch
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Where's Chelshams? :?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Angela Woodford wrote: I did once hear rumours that it was possible to talk to boys from the town over the wall behind the Chapell.
This definitely happened and when discovered the miscreants were sent to DR who told them that they 'were of the age when accidents could happen' There were railings behind the chapel - so you could see the boys you were talking to! Physical contact, other than hand to hand would have been difficult.
Angela Woodford wrote:I'm still baffled as to where there was any opportunity for dalliance at Hertford. The thought occurs that it might have been possible to smuggle an amour up to The Flat! But since its occupants were bound to have been too Above that sort of thing.... I think?....
Chance would have been a fine thing!!! Yes theoretically quite possible but finding a suitable male within the walls that's another thing.....

My memories of The Flat are of hysterical laughter at times particularly at the headline in the Old Boys Rugby section 'Old Blues are fast and persistent'. We certainly had great fun there, but we must have been unusual in that 4 of the 6 were from 6s so already knew each other very well. We also said at times 'if others could see us now, what would they think?'
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: Old Blues Day

Post by Vonny »

Angela Woodford wrote:Although I did once hear rumours that it was possible to talk to boys from the town over the wall behind the Chapel.
It was - not that I ever did. You could also see the cinema across the road from there.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Old Blues Day

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:I think the interest here is rather what happened than who was involved. (The who is often interesting too, but very often must be left unsaid).

For those of us with no knowledge of Horsham, perhaps this could be a marvellous way of appreciating and discovering the CH campus on Old Blues Day? A sympathetic tour around this Chelshams, down into the tube where the scufflings happened, the romantic beauty of Shelley Wood and an appreciation of the erotic ambiance of the lav-ends! You see, I am beginning to find my way around already -

I'm still baffled as to where there was any opportunity for dalliance at Hertford. The thought occurs that it might have been possible to smuggle an amour up to The Flat! But since its occupants were bound to have been too Above that sort of thing.... I think?....

I'm sure Mary's friend must have been totally unique in her seduction of the Man on the Mower. Although I did once hear rumours that it was possible to talk to boys from the town over the wall behind the Chapel.

Munch
Now a banned area, Angela. I think all the entrances are now sealed.

Asbestos lagging to the water pipes that run the length of the ceilings of the tubes.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

There was the member of this forum (no names mentioned) who had a rather attractive sister who used to visit at regular intervals!

Not connected, he started getting rather "hot" letters to the extent that not only was he banned from getting letters from the "lady" in question but his mail had to be censored to enforce that ruling!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Vonny wrote:Where's Chelshams? :?
It's the groundsmens' buildings on Big Side...

also, it is still relatively easy to get into the tube - it is used mostly for the schools wiring and gas pipes etc...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Great Plum wrote:
Vonny wrote:Where's Chelshams? :?
It's the groundsmens' buildings on Big Side...
Oh right - I know where you mean now :lol: :wink:
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

when did the name originate?
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Vonny wrote:
cj wrote:
Vonny wrote:There was definitely a teacher/pupil relationship going on at Hertford when I was there. Horsham - I also knew of one but I was sworn to secrecy - I knew both parties involved.

We are talking here about activities that meant immediate expulsion when I was at CH - and it wasn't half a century ago!
I'm sure the Hertford one I am talking about is the one you remember as well :lol: Wonder if we are talking about the same one (in particular) at Horsham :lol: :lol:
I am not sure we are all thinking about the same ones, but let's be honest, with one major exception did anyone actually go home?
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

Vonny wrote:
cj wrote:

Pretty sure the teacher/pupil action that you're referring to is the one i'm thinking of. Possibly the worst kept secret of all time!
Thornton 85-92