Deputy Grecian-2007+

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

gemmygemmerson
Deputy Grecian

Deputy Grecian-2007+

Post by gemmygemmerson »

I was searching the Internet a couple of days ago for more information about CH since I was recently (conditionally) accepted as one of the new 6th Formers for the next school year and I came across this site. I hope nobody minds me posting since technically I have never actualy 'been' to Christ's Hospital but I would love to find out some more information about it.
Can anyone tell me how the new 6th formers are welcomed my the current pupils because my friend and I ( who was also accepted ) really worry about being the ' new girls' for the entire time.
Can anyone also tell me what happens on the induction period...length? Lessons? Uniform?. I'm sadly without very much information since all I have been able to get my hands on has been the prospectus, the internet site and the couple of questions I managed to ask on the open day.

If anyone could this would be a grand help!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Happy Birthday Gemma.
I'm far too old to be able to answer your question, but good luck at Horsham, don't be scared,and we used to wish that we could wear a uniform like the one you will be privileged to wear. Blues, present and past are a pretty decent bunch.

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

Congratulations on your acceptance Gemma!
I wouldn't worry too much about 'being the new girl': you will be coming as a 'new dep', and probably will on odd occasions be referred to as such throughout your time at CH, but that doesn't mean that you won't settle and be accepted quickly - you won't be the only new one by any means, as you know! It shouldn't stop you getting right into the school life and culture, especially if you can push your way into the various sporting teams and clubs.
Concerning the induction week - if last year was anything to go by - you will be at CH from around the 28th June till the 4th July, and will wear the Housey uniform for your stay, which is often a little shock for some. Lessons are normally very relaxed over that week, depending on the department; it's more a chance to see if you really are interested in the subject (and to change your choices if you change your mind). I wouldn't take all your experiences over the induction week as typical CH, though - you'll see, in the 'Rock Concert' which takes place that week, the true extent to which people can 'run wild', but it hardly acts to represent the day in, day out, life of the school - though I'm not suggesting life here is boring by any means!

I hope that's useful - If I haven't answered you, or you think of anything else to ask, please feel free to keep posting your questions.

Mark
(Current Grecian)
gemmygemmerson
Deputy Grecian

Post by gemmygemmerson »

Thanks so much and yes, it is my birthday today.

I am truly very excited to come especially since the school I am at at the moment is not the best ( a comprehensive in London ).
Oh. I was told that the Uniform is provided, is that talking about just the Housey(?) Coat or the whole thing. Is there a special shop ( peter Jones for example ) where you buy the rest of it?.

Also, what is the situation with personal possessions? We want to know, that is my family and I, if I will be able to take my Laptop with me? or should I not for safety reasons.

What are roughly the class sizes like? Are they quite big or are they small?.

I'm really nervous since I discovered at the interview that I am the only external Latin applicant ( History, English, Latin and Archaeology ) so that has got be in quite a bother. I've only learnt it for a year and a half so I'm revising like mad trying to catch up. So, if I am really not at the level I need to be will I be able to change my options and is it possible to switch which subject I will drop after year 12?

Thanks very much for spending the effort answering my questions. It really means a lot.
Deputy Grecian 07-09 Col B 31
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I can't answer any of your questions but just want to wish you all the best. You sound like a breath of fresh air, I really hope that you will enjoy your time at Horsham.

Please keep asking the questions, there are plenty of Forum members who do have the knowledge to tell answer you. You will be far happier going if you get the questions answered first.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
gemmygemmerson
Deputy Grecian

Post by gemmygemmerson »

Thanks for that. I'm really nervous so anything that can give me a better insight to the people and place I am going to be staying with and at for two years is fantastic.
I've never been to boarding school so I don't really know how the technicalities of it all works. In the boarding houses are there many bathrooms? or how does the Housemaster system work?. What sort of stuff should I bring in september? Tonnes of clothes or not so many clothes?. Are there any items that are forbidden? like Ipods?

xx. Gemma.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Well done Gemma, both for applying and being accepted, you must be something special to do that. Several people on here were 'new deps' I think Blondie (Amy) was so she should be able to help.

Here there is also a young lady who came from Spain just this year as a new dep. she had questions as you do before she came and posted once she had started to say she is enjoying it, but seems too busy to have continued.

viewtopic.php?t=1559&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

The start of the thread is not by her, well, the list is. She joins in at the bottom of page 3 (I think) as rosa b.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Gemma - Welcome to the exclusive club.

Your best bet is to make contact with Mrs C on this forum.

Are you there, Janet ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Gemma,

there is a lot to answer here.

In your Deps (Lower 6th!)m you will be in a boarding house of around 45 girls aged between 11-17. The chances are you will be in one of the refurbished houses which have a lot of toilets etc. I believe you will also have a single room.

In your Grecians (upper 6th)m you will be in one of the Grecians' boarding houses which has around 70 pupils in it. They are faily new and are quite like a hall of residence at uni and has about 6 to a 'pod'.

Have you been around the school yet? I would recommend a trip down there!

Don't worry about being the only external Latin scholar - i'm sure you won't have any problems. The English department is great, my Dad is a teacher in it! (!!),. The Archaeology department is run by one of the chief examiners at A level so don't worry about that. The history department also has some fine teachers and facilities - what type of history will you do?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

Hi again,
I'm trying to work out which of your questions have not already been answered above...
The whole uniform, other than shoes, is provided, though girls often prefer to bring their own tights rather than wear the grey socks provided. You end up needing to provide games kit - they almost certainly will send you a list of things, which highlights what exactly one requires.
Regarding your own clothing, you should have enough storage space to bring 'sufficient' quantities of your own clothing - in practice the task of packing it into suitcases, etc, and having to repack it at the end of each term to take home, has far more impact on the amount of stuff I bring to CH. So as much as you want, within reason...
There are no issues with bringing laptops, ipods, etc to school on the deps from the school's point of view. On issue of the security though, it's probably an idea to insure things like that, just in case, as there are infrequent incidents where things have gone missing (which is taken very seriously), but common sense in the way of locking wardrobes, etc, is normally sufficient in preventing problems - I've never had any issues.
Regarding your A level choices - as long as you inform the Director of Studies as early as possible if you did decide (presumably after Induction Week) to change subjects, there normally aren't any problems, so I wouldn't worry. I guess the fact CH accepted you reflects the Latin department's confidence in you!
Class sizes really depend on the subject, though by state school standards they definitely are small: the largest are generally for Archaeology, up to around 17, with as few as 7 (I think) for Latin on my year, falling on the Upper Sixth year, as people drop subjects.

I assume you visited CH for the interviews, and at least had time for a cursory look around - if not, that definitely should be a priority!

Mark
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I only had 4 in my Medieval History set! :)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
gemmygemmerson
Deputy Grecian

Post by gemmygemmerson »

Hi there.
Thanks everyone for answering my questions. You are all really helpful.
To go through systematically, I chose to do Medieval History since it seems the most interesting and my current school doesn't offer it.
I did see the Grecian's houses when I was there ( saw them both because I wrangled myself into both tour groups :) ) and they did seem amazing but we were in such a large group looking around that it was hard to see anything. I've only really seen big school, the dining hall, the Grecian's houses and the theatre. It's a shame since I definitely wanted to see the rest of it, even a classroom.
It is quite a shame I never actualy saw ' Rock School'.

The whole uniform provided!. My that is great to hear. My Mum was worrying about having to get her hands on all of it and yes, I do think that I will be bringing my own tights ( plus my large sock collection , but totaly not the point ). A games kit! righto. [writes down games kit on paper ]

I probably will bring my things then ( laptop ipod etc ) if there arn't any rules against it so thanks for that. Need to get insurance though now.

4 People in a class! that's amazing. and the biggest is 17. I actualy coughed quite a bit there since the smallest class I have at the moment is 34 people big and my biggest class is 40. To have a class in single digits will be a shock.

Well. During Maths today I thought up a few new questions ( should have been doing maths, I know but it was only standard deviation )

1. How heavily does religion permeate the school. I'm an apathetic agnostic and I am a bit overwhelmed by the christian ethos of the school. Is chapel cumpulsory all the time and are there heaps of preaching-esque talks or is it very laid back??

2. I am a bit confused by the timetable on the school website. For me it doesn't make entirely a lot of sense and I don't understand how 'games and activities' come into account.
Is there a lot of free time? Is it mostly supervised homework ( though, I should really call it prep shoudln't I?)

xxx. Thanks for all the help.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Great Plum wrote:I only had 4 in my Medieval History set! :)
I had far more than that in mine - about 17 or 18 at a guess - mind you it was a few years back now!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

gemmygemmerson wrote:Hi there.

Well. During Maths today I thought up a few new questions ( should have been doing maths, I know but it was only standard deviation )

1. How heavily does religion permeate the school. I'm an apathetic agnostic and I am a bit overwhelmed by the christian ethos of the school. Is chapel cumpulsory all the time and are there heaps of preaching-esque talks or is it very laid back??
2. I am a bit confused by the timetable on the school website. For me it doesn't make entirely a lot of sense and I don't understand how 'games and activities' come into account.
Is there a lot of free time? Is it mostly supervised homework ( though, I should really call it prep shoudln't I?)

xxx. Thanks for all the help.

it might be useful to read this

viewtopic.php?t=1663
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

You are most definitely welcome to the site, and I really hope you keep in touch with us on here once you start later in the year. We're keen to keep bridging the gaps between Deps/Grecians and the Old Blues, so that new Old Blues can get used to the benefits which can be gained from the enthusiastic support which you'll find Old Blues are keen to give....

I too cannot answer your questions - there were no such thing as "New Deps" in my time ('85-'92) - I can though point you towards the Rock School DVD which is available from Play.com for £13.99 delivered (click here to link to it) - BUT, I don't think it really shows much of school life.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll love CH in the two years you'll be there, and congratulations in getting in!

We look forward to welcoming you as an Old Blue in 2 yrs time!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.