Old Blues Day 2007 - DATE FOR YOUR DIARY

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Old Blues Day 2007 - DATE FOR YOUR DIARY

Post by jtaylor »

OLD BLUES' DAY 2007 will be on 17 June - a Sunday.

A family-friendly day, full of activities (taking account of all the discussions on this Forum). Various groups will shortly be commissioned to get up and running with their arrangements - including the various Section Secretaries.

Watch not only this space but also the official CHA Website.
Last edited by jtaylor on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

When's OBD THIS year?
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

There isn`t/wasn`t one.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Even when we were planning this far in advance there were only 2 possible dates in the school's calendar for next summer.

The general idea is to ensure that Old Blues Day once again becomes a major event in everyone's calendar, so rather than just descend on C.H. and expect to be entertained by the school we are hoping to have a lot of active participation by Old Blues on the day itself, more interaction between Old Blues and the school itself (subject, of course, to the needs and wishes of staff and pupils alike).

As it will be held on a Sunday the feeling is that a fairly informal atmosphere will be appropriate, perhaps involving watching a rehearsal for Beating Retreat, sporting events (with Old Blue participation), barbecues etc., a chance for Old Blues and current pupils to chat with representatives of regional and overseas sections, O.B. sports clubs etc., together with some family events so that Old Blues will feel comfortable bringing their children along.

Lots of ideas in the pot at the moment, but if all goes well it should be a good one, and far more appealing to younger Old Blues than some recent events have been.

My personal feeling about last Old Blues Day was that it was a bit empty, as was discussed at some length on this forum, and I'm sure that some others felt the same way, so I hope we'll be able to keep the good bits, add some new good bits and make the day a 'must-do' event.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Do you think there will be some music action that the OB's could get involved in?

Presumably there will be the OB cricket match on that day...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

There may well be - I think some singing is being considered at the moment........

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I for one am keen on seeing the rifle shooting and/or clay shooting again - seemed well received by those who tried it.

Richard:- May not have mentioned to you yet, but I'd be happy to help out on the clay shooting if needed, as it's one of my passions!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

jtaylor wrote:I for one am keen on seeing the rifle shooting and/or clay shooting again - seemed well received by those who tried it.

Richard:- May not have mentioned to you yet, but I'd be happy to help out on the clay shooting if needed, as it's one of my passions!

J
I think we spoke about this after the Carol Concert, and clay shooting is definitely on the list of things we'd like to do.

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Richard Ruck wrote:Even when we were planning this far in advance there were only 2 possible dates in the school's calendar for next summer.

As it will be held on a Sunday the feeling is that a fairly informal atmosphere will be appropriate, perhaps involving watching a rehearsal for Beating Retreat, sporting events (with Old Blue participation), barbecues etc., a chance for Old Blues and current pupils to chat with representatives of regional and overseas sections, O.B. sports clubs etc., together with some family events so that Old Blues will feel comfortable bringing their children along.

My personal feeling about last Old Blues Day was that it was a bit empty, as was discussed at some length on this forum, and I'm sure that some others felt the same way, so I hope we'll be able to keep the good bits, add some new good bits and make the day a 'must-do' event.
Sounds like somebody is thinking about it properly. Pity is that not only will I be away but I will remain thoroughly pissed from the preceding evening - isn't that what birthdays are for?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think a positive effort should be made to involve ex-Hertford folk.

I went to OBD in 94 and 97 (25 years on) and met a few people I knew but I am sure we could do better.

I emailed ALL the people on the Hertford section of Friends Reunited when I joined the forum and it took me about 3 weeks when I wasn't working. Perhaps we could split it up between us closer to the time.

I think the personal touch will help get more people there.

There is Midget for the early years, Kerren/Katharine in the early 60's, me in the late 60's/70's, Jude in the late 70's/80s then Vonny could cover the time around the move.

You notice I am very good at volunteering people.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Richard Ruck wrote:There may well be - I think some singing is being considered at the moment........
Chapel choir plus obs for a service on the day?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Sorry, Cath could help with the latter years too.

Don't want her to feel unwanted.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

cj wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:There may well be - I think some singing is being considered at the moment........
Chapel choir plus obs for a service on the day?
This is among the many ideas being discussed.

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

englishangel wrote:I think a positive effort should be made to involve ex-Hertford folk.

I went to OBD in 94 and 97 (25 years on) and met a few people I knew but I am sure we could do better.

I emailed ALL the people on the Hertford section of Friends Reunited when I joined the forum and it took me about 3 weeks when I wasn't working. Perhaps we could split it up between us closer to the time.

I think the personal touch will help get more people there.

There is Midget for the early years, Kerren/Katharine in the early 60's, me in the late 60's/70's, Jude in the late 70's/80s then Vonny could cover the time around the move.

You notice I am very good at volunteering people.
That would be an excellent idea. I hope that Hertford Old Blues would feel very welcome on the day (and I'm sure that this is something to which Kerren is giving a lot of thought), so any additional encouragement which the ladies of the forum felt able to give would be extremely helpful.

cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

englishangel wrote:Don't want her to feel unwanted.
Thanks, ea. However I'm only in touch with 2 people!
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.