BROADIE BUCKLES

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

sport! wrote:multi-buckles :shock: so, theoretically, you can now have several....academic, house-captain, sacristan etc. etc.

do they still look the same as ? (see avtar)
The normal buckles do but the house captain ones etc do look different I think...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

I saw one person in the band with one and a half buckles... what is that all about then?
There was a great shortage of buckles after the war (WW2 not Falklands!) and it was very much 'hand me down'. It was near impossible to keep one when you left as most of the house juniors were queueing to take it from you.
Juniors were issued with a girdle that looked a bit like a suitcase strap. (It probably was a suitcase strap now I think of it)
John.
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

Briadie Buckles

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

John Knight wrote:There was a great shortage of buckles after the war (WW2 not Falklands!) and it was very much 'hand me down'. It was near impossible to keep one when you left as most of the house juniors were queueing to take it from you.
I agree. I was in Lamb at mnuch the same time and there seemed to be a strictly limited supply of broadie buckles and it was generally accepted that ownership was strictly temporary. I agree with John Knight that it would have been impossible to leave without handing one's buckle on, although with hindsight, I cannot understand why the stock could not have been replenished, but that was just the way it was.

However, I cannot recall that there was ever anything other than just one design of broadie buckle, so presumably these house-captain's buckles and mathemats buckles, etc, must have crept in since the mid-50s.

P.S. What on earth is a sacristan's buckle and how does one become eligible to wear it?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Please can someone enlighten a Hertford Old Girl. I've just looked again at the phots and seen two or three buckles on broadies almost over the left hip. As well as number of buckles is there significance as to where you wear it? If I wear a belt with a buckle, the buckle is centre front.

This is probably deep in Horsham knowledge acquired within days of arrival there, but remember we didn't arrive there!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

'Multi-buckles' must be a very recent phenomenon as I'm sure no-one had more than one 'in my day'. As for wearing them to one side of the body, Katherine, it just seemed to hang better that way. Is there a historical reason, anyone? And you got your buckle on your LE I think. Before that it was a strap belt. Girls had 2 notches in their broadie belts, one to accommodate the housey coat in winter, a more generous garment around the middle, and one to wear with jackets (summer and ceremonial dress) which cinched in the waist.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

cj wrote:'Multi-buckles' must be a very recent phenomenon as I'm sure no-one had more than one 'in my day'. As for wearing them to one side of the body, Katherine, it just seemed to hang better that way. Is there a historical reason, anyone? And you got your buckle on your LE I think. Before that it was a strap belt. Girls had 2 notches in their broadie belts, one to accommodate the housey coat in winter, a more generous garment around the middle, and one to wear with jackets (summer and ceremonial dress) which cinched in the waist.
I believe that the house captains' buckles crept in when the houses went all ages again.

The Math's buckle was there when I was at CH - presuambly awarded to keen Maths students.

The Sacristan's buckle was awarded to the Chief Sacristan for the chapel...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

cj wrote:'Multi-buckles' must be a very recent phenomenon as I'm sure no-one had more than one 'in my day'. As for wearing them to one side of the body, Katherine, it just seemed to hang better that way. Is there a historical reason, anyone? And you got your buckle on your LE I think. Before that it was a strap belt. Girls had 2 notches in their broadie belts, one to accommodate the housey coat in winter, a more generous garment around the middle, and one to wear with jackets (summer and ceremonial dress) which cinched in the waist.
Thanks for that, cj. It also answers my unspoken question as to why it is called a broadie, your answer implies that ther is a narrower belt for juniors.

As you sign off Canteen Cath, I guess you may be a Catherine, a name not so prone to mis-spelling as the version with a K. Please note my name is KathArine, as chosen by my classically educated OB Dad.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Great Plum wrote:
I believe that the house captains' buckles crept in when the houses went all ages again.

The Math's buckle was there when I was at CH - presuambly awarded to keen Maths students.

The Sacristan's buckle was awarded to the Chief Sacristan for the chapel...
The Maths buckle was around in my time. Never heard of the other two, though.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Katharine wrote:As you sign off Canteen Cath, I guess you may be a Catherine, a name not so prone to mis-spelling as the version with a K. Please note my name is KathArine, as chosen by my classically educated OB Dad.
Apologies for the spelling. I know you are with an 'a' so it must have been a slip of the finger on the keypad. :oops:
I have always been Catherine, preferring the longer version of my name, but was given the moniker Canteen Cath during my stint on the Grecian's Club commitee. Various people insist on calling me Cath, Cathy or Kathleen (the latter being my father-in-law's favourite), and unfortunately misspellings are common as there are so many varieties of 'our' name. Someone once wrote to me as Cathrin, which is pushing it slightly!

cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Katharine wrote:Please can someone enlighten a Hertford Old Girl. I've just looked again at the phots and seen two or three buckles on broadies almost over the left hip. As well as number of buckles is there significance as to where you wear it? If I wear a belt with a buckle, the buckle is centre front.

This is probably deep in Horsham knowledge acquired within days of arrival there, but remember we didn't arrive there!
Are you related to Jo Hills, who was in Col A after the merger?

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

cj wrote:Are you related to Jo Hills, who was in Col A after the merger?
Yes, she is my niece, you may remember she was in 6s as I was, and my Aunt Helen. Helen's obituary is in the latest copy of the Old Blue, she was quite some lady and a true daughter of the House.

Apologies over spelling accepted. I have even been told by someone accepting my credit card that there was a mistake on it as Katharine could not be spelt like that! Is our name the one with the most spellings?
99yorkpj
Deputy Grecian

Post by 99yorkpj »

There are House Captain Buckles which are bigger, squarer and are simply shaped rather than having a design pressed into them. There are also two maths buckles (also sqaure), one senior sacristan buckle, and one senior Grecian buckle. They are handing out silver buckles, and it is general knowledge that you keep both broadie and buckle when you leave. (Although buckles given above (house captain etc) are passed down). If you lose your broadie you can either buy a new one, or wear a girdle. People tend to have two or even three buckles that have been passed down by old blues... family or friends. Some people do have half buckles, because the buckle has broken and they simply havent replaced it, and want to keep the broken one as some kind of keepsake. Hope this clears things up!!!
P.S Girls broadies are now identical to the boys. You change the length by changing where you put the buckle... there are several places you can move the buckle to.... to make it shorter or longer. Many of the boys broadies are too short so they make it longer using a shoe-lace and a housie button. :lol:
2004-2006, Leigh Hunt B & Grecians' East.
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

99yorkpj wrote:<crop> Some people do have half buckles, because the buckle has broken and they simply havent replaced it, and want to keep the broken one as some kind of keepsake. Hope this clears things up!!!
Thank you Philippa (99yorkpj) just what I wanted to know...
99yorkpj wrote:<crop> Many of the boys broadies are too short so they make it longer using a shoe-lace and a housie button.
Is the food in the Dining Hall that good now? :)
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Katharine wrote:
cj wrote:Are you related to Jo Hills, who was in Col A after the merger?
Yes, she is my niece, you may remember she was in 6s as I was, and my Aunt Helen. Helen's obituary is in the latest copy of the Old Blue, she was quite some lady and a true daughter of the House.
Jo was a few years above me, but we sat at the same table in Dining Hall for a while. I liked her - we had a giggle. Send her my best when you next converse, although I don't know if she'd remember me.

AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Richard Ruck wrote:The Maths buckle was around in my time. Never heard of the other two, though.

But as far as I can remember only one (either the oval one or one of the special ones) was worn.
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77