Band performing at Queen's birthday

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

(Click on image for a larger version)
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

(Click on image for a larger version)
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the pictures, John, it looks that as ever the band drew gasps of admiration from those not used to seeing it. I'm sure they did the school proud, but why, oh why, was the parade such a shambles?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: The Birthday Card Parade

Post by englishangel »

petard249 wrote:There were a load of Royal British Legion standard bearers, a couple of pearly queens, a mayor in full fig (but of where nobody knew), a town crier, and some others. However, there was very little advance publicity and at the scene very few of the spectators knew what it was all about. The procession came to a halt outside the palace railings, where the card was handed over (but to whom, I have no idea) and the band played "Happy Birthday" and the National Anthem, and that was pretty well that. What was lacking was a Guards Regimental Serjeant-Major to take control and make sure that everyone knew what they had to do and when. I hope that I am not being unfair, but I failed to detect anyone who was actually in charge.

Your roving reporter,
I understood it was to be a 'City of London' do. (hence CH0 so was the full fig chap not the Lord Mayor? I think some of the others were Liverymen etc.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

it all seems to be a bit lost on me really - why was the queen in Windsor, where the band could have plyed and marched far better than those trumpeter who played happy birthday non too well....mind you she didn't stand and listen to them in rapture or give tehm a thought from what I saw on tv - but I say well done CH Band - after all the effort they put in, poor darlings in their hols as well!

Chris had to roller blade his way through the Lord Mayors Parade - he had to practice like hell before - and he thouraghly enjoyed it - especially getting to touch THrust III (? name) (the fastest car on the planet and BRITISH), but he was so totally wiped out he said the day after - that;s when all the aches and pains set in! The Eupohria has gone and you are back at school!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
swirl
3rd Former

Post by swirl »

wahay!! thers me!
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I don't know about anyone else, but it makes me swell with pride to see those pictures and think that I once belonged to that! :D It is unique and so fantastic.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

englishangel wrote: I understood it was to be a 'City of London' do. (hence CH0 so was the full fig chap not the Lord Mayor? I think some of the others were Liverymen etc
I am pretty certain that it wasn't the Lord Mayor, Mary, as he walked the whole way and did not have all those sword-bearers, mace bearers, etc, etc! That said, however, I really have no idea who he was.

I don't know who took the pictures which have now appeared, but very well done and many thanks. They really capture the smartness of the band which made a very good impression on everyone who saw and heard them. Sadly, apart from a few Mums and a couple of Old Blues, nobody really knew who they were.

It may seem that I am being hypercritical of the event, but I do not mean to be so. However, the facts are that the advance publicity was poor, there was no information at the scene, and, with the glorious exception of the Housie band, nobody really seemed to know what was going on. It would have been a tremendous fillip for the school's reputation if the crowd had known who they were and that the boys and girls involved had voluntarily returned early from their holidays in order to perform.

I would love to know why the band has never appeared at the Edinburgh Tatoo as they are more than good enough to do so.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

petard249 wrote:I would love to know why the band has never appeared at the Edinburgh Tatoo as they are more than good enough to do so.
This year's Tattoo will take place between August 4th. and August 26th.

Right in the middle of the Summer holdays.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Richard Ruck wrote:This year's Tattoo will take place between August 4th. and August 26th. Right in the middle of the Summer holdays.....
Point taken, but I was really wondering whether the school band had ever been invited, as they are certainly better than some of the bands taking part there. I wonder also whether, if the opportunity did arise, the vast majority of band members might not volunteer, anyway. The fact is that with the demise of the Royal Tournament, the Tatoo is now the premier band event in the UK and it would be nice to see the Housie band there.
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

It was long, and seemingly more than a little pointless, but we were reminded of what it means to be in the Band by the fact that the traffic stopped and the office windows were full of curious faces.

Secretly I think the Band members are all very proud of being a part of such an institution, despite the loud grumblings that may be heard passing between individuals...

I needed 5 pints to get over it though...
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Blimey, and what did you need to get over 5 pints?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

englishangel wrote:Blimey, and what did you need to get over 5 pints?
Not a lot actually. I walked it off.
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)