Is this fair?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Re: Is this fair?

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I realise that we Old Blues are sitting out here on the Forum, throwing in our 5p worth to this discussion and none of us know the truth behind any of the suggestions being made.
However, in my view, why should Matt's encountering an intended Dep on Facebook be derided? Isn't he/she just as genuine, even if they announced their troubles through an internet discussion group?
We (who are pontificating out here) may never know the truth and to a huge extent why should we? It's not our business. BUT I am conscious that 40+ years ago I benefited from an education second to none, pretty much for free. I am certain that if my parents' circumstances had genuinely changed, Miss West would have sorted things out for them and the Council of Almoners (to my knowledge, this did not happen in my case). My own education, which I now value above all else, was allowed to me as part of a tradition which went back to 1552, and in which I feel a very fierce pride.
It will always remain my heartfelt belief that others (more worthy than me) could benefit from the advantages which I enjoyed (echoes of The Charge, here!), whatever their circumstances or changes in circumstances.
I also know that our most celebrated Old Girl has let it be known that EVEN THOUGH she left CH early, disgruntled, the Foundation paid for her time at University.
So what has changed?
I don't know if either the new HM's supposed declaration that he will not rest until CH matches Eton, or the (announced today) resignation of the 'new' Clerk (Paul Tuckwell) have a bearing on these discussions. But somehow, somewhere, it is just possible that the historical and treasured ethos of Christ's Hospital might have been allowed to slip a bit.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

kerrensimmonds wrote: I am certain that if my parents' circumstances had genuinely changed, Miss West would have sorted things out for them and the Council of Almoners (to my knowledge, this did not happen in my case). .
ISTR seeing something along these lines on a CH prospectus some time ago
kerrensimmonds wrote: I don't know if either the new HM's supposed declaration that he will not rest until CH matches Eton, or the (announced today) resignation of the 'new' Clerk (Paul Tuckwell) have a bearing on these discussions. But somehow, somewhere, it is just possible that the historical and treasured ethos of Christ's Hospital might have been allowed to slip a bit.
I hadn't heard that statement / rumour. Would we really like CH to match Eton? Just think what is involved - the one-upmanship / snobbishness (is your dad a mere knight or is he a Lord?), the apparent lower educational standards (CH used to be so far ahead in terms of university scolarships that Eton was lost in the wake, the cost (certainly not in the CH charter!) .....
We need to know what standards he is contemplating or whether the rumour is totally unfounded.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

David... I think the point is being made that 'we' (i.e. Old Blues, and specifically those of us who are passionate enough about the Foundation which WE knew and loved) don't really have a view which could or even should influence the future direction of Christ's Hospital. We can sound off as much as we like on this Forum, but we have no rights beyond our own personal dedication. And that's where it begins to hurt us as individuals because it is clear that things are happening now which would not have happened 'in our day' - whether for right or wrong.
I personally just feel very sad about a lot of things which have happened/are happening both within the School and the Foundation (including the management of the CHA) over the last two years. But I recognise my impotence to change anything.
Going back to the start of this thread, although JackD suggested that Matt should not have approached the BSB on behalf of the potential Dep who had been refused return to the school, I just wonder if he got anywhere (either himself, or leaning on the parents?). I still feel that it is totally out of order for the Foundation to have disrupted the education of any one of its pupils IF there has been genuine financial need at a late stage in the pupil's career - but of course we don't know the truth (nor should we, it's none of our business)
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Going back to the start of this thread, although JackD suggested that Matt should not have approached the BSB on behalf of the potential Dep who had been refused return to the school, I just wonder if he got anywhere (either himself, or leaning on the parents?). I still feel that it is totally out of order for the Foundation to have disrupted the education of any one of its pupils IF there has been genuine financial need at a late stage in the pupil's career - but of course we don't know the truth (nor should we, it's none of our business)
Jack said nothing of the sort, that was me. Jack merely suggested that we, as a forum, were a bit quick to think the worst. I'm inclined to think this thread makes his point.

The original post was yesterday, so I doubt Matt has been in touch with anyone. In fact, he was asking for an opinion. My opinion (far from deriding him) was simply that he'd be well advised to speak to the parents first.

If we didn't all feel strongly about CH and what it stands for, I doubt we'd be here.
nastymum
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by nastymum »

The promotional material from the school is very clear. You have to be able to pay what they assess as your fees. They say you must put education first. For me this means no going out -ever, no holidays, no CDs, no magazines or newspapers,shoes and clothes bought by my mother, no birthday or Christmas presents for the children,no books. What do I get in return?
I get two amazing children at an amazing school(and one to go ,hopefully). I get their pride and joy in the Chapel Choir and the Band. I get for my children free music lessons of the highest quality on three instruments and voice training. I get house parents who treat my children as if they were their own.
One of my chlidren saw a Psychologist for eighteen months at the school 's expense due to unblievable trauma. She now has the possibility of Oxbridge and and Organ Scholarship. Last term she had an effort grade average of 5.00.She knows she's lucky but she knows that staff appreciate her. Dr Southern told me she was a star and he would like to join her fan club! I am really not smug and not martyr I just know tht CH is the right place for my children and it has brought out the best in them against all the odds.
Even though our fees are low we can't afford them due to the way the fees are assssed and what is considered disposable income. In order to give my third child 5 years of CH I may have to sacrifice the 6th form of my eldest child .This is a poor choice but CH is fee paying school and I don't begrudge one penny of it.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Thanks for all your replies here...

I have had a letter from the BSB, whilst sympathising with the girl in question's plight, is unable to help in regards to school fees...

I believe that the pupil was able to come back this term and was then sent home. I am unaware of her personal circumstances, although she has said that there is a lower income in the family than last year. Apparently, she has the 4th October to pay up.

I believe that she is not the only one. I have heard reports of kids turning up at the start of term and being turned away. The BSB have said that they have heard this is a new stance by the school.

I for one deplore it - surely there should be negotiation with the parents / guardians - perhaps payment by installments if things get financially difficult...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Matt, I'm totally with you on your last post - Not only am I'm horrified, I'm absolutely DISGUSTED !

Maybe a State education is better. If a Charity school starts means testing to such an extent that they can terminate an education half-way through, then maybe it IS time for a change - BACKWARDS !.

Glad I didn't re-apply to the CHA Board !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I would like to know the reasoning why the school are doing this...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

The BSB has said it is unable to help.

I have the utmost faith in the BSB and the practical help it offers.

I would respectfully suggest that there is more to this than meets the eye if it is unprepared to help.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Great Plum wrote:Thanks for all your replies here...

I have heard reports of kids turning up at the start of term and being turned away. The BSB have said that they have heard this is a new stance by the school.

I for one deplore it - surely there should be negotiation with the parents / guardians - perhaps payment by installments if things get financially difficult...
If the school has taken a new stance, and it is as seemingly cold hearted as it appears, I too deplore it and I cannot believe there are any Old Blues who would not feel the same way.
I do feel that there must be more to all of this than meets the eye.
The Clerk has resigned and I doubt that we will ever find out the reason for his action, but to quote another Old Blue who is in a similar position in another charity.
"Maybe he doesn't relish managing the finances during a fire storm. I would guess that all the financial plans are having to be ripped up and CH could be in for a very rough ride, especially as the property side has bombed more than most."
I must say, if I were in that position and were head hunted for a seemingly easier ride, I would give it serious consideration.
However, it must be true that, not for the first time in its existence, CH is in financial difficulties and is having to take drastic measures.
As someone asked me once "What steps would you take if a disaster was about to happen?"
And the obvious answer is "bl**dy Big Ones"
It may well be that getting pupil fees in now has a higher priority than it did, but as usual, minimal communication of a change in policy has been implemented, with the usual disastrous results.
It would be good to have knowledge of what is going on, so that if possible, Old Blues can help.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:The BSB has said it is unable to help.

I would respectfully suggest that there is more to this than meets the eye if it is unprepared to help.
Then maybe the School should make a comment.

As I was taught in 'Plod', "No Comment" , or no response at all, is usually an indication of guilt !
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:The BSB has said it is unable to help.

Then maybe the School should make a comment.

As I was taught in 'Plod', "No Comment" , or no response at all, is usually an indication of guilt !
Agreed - with the proviso that individual circumstances and confidences are preserved.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Exactly !

There's transparency, and there's transparency.
LJG
3rd Former

Post by LJG »

As a single parent of a returning Dep without any family to help out, I can truely sympathise with those struggling to pay the fees - mine went up with a hike this year. I wrote to the school expressing concern about my ability to pay them, received a card acknowledging my letter, and since then zilch! Despite phoning and e-mailing the office I have not had a response. If like the reported parents I had not paid my fees my daughter likewise would have been refused admission. I really do question what is happening to what was previously a very approachable and supportative school.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I am sure that those in authority are well aware of this Forum, and this particular thread too. It should not be impossible for Someone to at least set minds at rest that there is no fundamental change in the ethos of the school. They want OBs to be intouch with the school, preferably by giving lots of money, but seem to operate the "mushroom" system of management. I am deeply upset by the present troubles.
Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.