GMT

START HERE:- New to the forum? Look here for info on what it's all about. We've got lots of users, some regular and some occasional, so if you're not sure how to join in then here's where to start.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

GMT

Post by englishangel »

I don't know how many of you have forgotten to change the time, I had.

User Control Panel
Board Preferences
Daylight Savings Time ---> No
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
midget
Button Grecian

Re: GMT

Post by midget »

Thanks Mary
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

In very nearly four years I haven't bothered changing the time on here once I'm afraid.
Haven't even used a watch for over six years! Does anyone still wear one or has the mobile phone taken over?
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I use my phone. Even time my boiled eggs with it.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

ben ashton wrote:In very nearly four years I haven't bothered changing the time on here once I'm afraid.
Haven't even used a watch for over six years! Does anyone still wear one or has the mobile phone taken over?
Although I changed most of the clocks in the house, that beside SWMBO's side of the bed is far too complicated for my single brain cell so it is still an hour adrift. (She puts a bit of cardboard over it because it is too bright, she never sets the alarm (took me over an hour of reading the manual to delete the last alarm setting) and doesn't use the radio - a waste of time IMHO but then I'm only a stupid male!

As for mobile phones herself gave me one the other day but .......................... For a start the keys are far far too small to use my fingers on and these rocker switches - press the down and it seems to obey left, right or even upwards instructions. as for the centre key - I can hardly see it let alone find something small enough to press it with. The display needs a microscope. Those Finns have a lot to answer for.
I think Michael Edwardes of BMC had the right idea - his secretary knew his home phone number, how many sugars in his tea ....... so why bother cramming his own brain with all sorts of useless trivia. Give me the good old "lift the handset and the operator will answer" type any day.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

sejintenej wrote:
ben ashton wrote:In very nearly four years I haven't bothered changing the time on here once I'm afraid.
Although I changed most of the clocks in the house, that beside SWMBO's side of the bed is far too complicated for my single brain cell so it is still an hour adrift. (She puts a bit of cardboard over it because it is too bright, she never sets the alarm (took me over an hour of reading the manual to delete the last alarm setting) and doesn't use the radio - a waste of time IMHO but then I'm only a stupid male!

As for mobile phones herself gave me one the other day but .......................... For a start the keys are far far too small to use my fingers on and these rocker switches - press the down and it seems to obey left, right or even upwards instructions. as for the centre key - I can hardly see it let alone find something small enough to press it with. The display needs a microscope. Those Finns have a lot to answer for.
I think Michael Edwardes of BMC had the right idea - his secretary knew his home phone number, how many sugars in his tea ....... so why bother cramming his own brain with all sorts of useless trivia. Give me the good old "lift the handset and the operator will answer" type any day.
Are we the same person? :wink:

I have exactly the same situation with my wife and HER (note the her!) clock radio.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Humph, the radio alarm in our bedroom is definitely my husband's. It goes off at 0645 even at weekends and when he is away. But if we have a power cut, guess who has to reset it?
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

englishangel wrote:Humph, the radio alarm in our bedroom is definitely my husband's. It goes off at 0645 even at weekends and when he is away. But if we have a power cut, guess who has to reset it?
I have never understood the purpose of a radio alarm, as I tend to fall asleep if in a prone position with the radio on. I can't imagine it would ever wake me up, although the thought that it might, along with the automatic tea maker starting up, would probably mean that I would wake up just before it switches itself on.
Much better the dog's cold nose when he nudges the bed to remind me that he still can't operate the toilet.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

In the winter, we have two cats who use the cat-flap for their usual business around 6:00> I'm sure I don't have to tell you how they warm eight little paws on their return !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

We used to have an alarm clock that flashed a light very slowly and gently, gradually increasing in speed and intensity, so I usually woke up before the buzzer sounded. It was a very civilised way to wake, but unfortunately old age made it erratic, and we could never find a replacement. The present radio alarm wakes me (rarely Sir) to the honeyed tones of John Humphries.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I don't think I've ever changed the time on here...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99