Problem - Running out of space on the CH Forum - ideas?

START HERE:- New to the forum? Look here for info on what it's all about. We've got lots of users, some regular and some occasional, so if you're not sure how to join in then here's where to start.

Moderator: Moderators

gma
Grecian

Re: Problem - Running out of space on the CH Forum - ideas?

Post by gma »

Most other forums I am on have a rule that if a topic hasn't been touched for 12 months it is archived (except technical queries) - however with this particular forum I think that means we coul dend up with repeat threads, so it might not help.
We are all aware that this forum is managed for 'nowt' and a great many people have found solace and friendship and laughter within it. Apart from the repeat issue, archiving threads would mean that those new to the forum, those of us who watched for a while before joining the fray and those who still just read and enjoy would never see either the depths of this forum or of the extraordinary range of people who participate in it.
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Well I've been truly amazed by the generosity of you lot!

In one day, we've got a total of £180, from 5 members - I'm so pleased that people feel this is something worth supporting.

I've just updated the Accounts page viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2822 with our current status.
This shows us as only £48.45 in debit - better than I'd guessed.

So the sub-totals of what we're trying to raise:-
£48 for the debit
£22 for chforum.com and chforum.info domain names, payable in Nov.
approx. £220 for the new hosting, un-front for the year

Target:- £300 approx
Pledges to-date:- £285
Still to find:- £15
Number of members:- 9

(Updated:- 30/08/2008 - I'll update this as I get more in.)

So if we can get another £120 total from a few members, then we're there and I'll kick-off the transfer process in the next week or so!

We need to get this done before the end of September ideally, as the hosting gets renewed for 6 months on 20/10/08 and we can't get that back once we've paid it (£64)
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Could you not get rid of Mallett's Mallett? Surely that takes up half the space on its own!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Could you not get rid of Mallett's Mallett? Surely that takes up half the space on its own!
:shock: :cry: Hush your mouth young man!!!!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
nastymum
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by nastymum »

I would be happy to donate something if you send me the details of how to do it. If you sent a kind of email -mail -shot to everyone in the members list then maybe more people would cough up.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

A HUGE thank you to everyone who's pledged money.

So far we've had pledged a grand total of £285 from 9 forum members, which includes some fantast generous donations.

I've therefore kicked off the process of moving the host, and I'm hoping to complete this over the weekend.

If you've been generous enough to pledge money, please do forward this on to me when you can. Ideally send me a cheques, as we can then avoid the Paypal fees if possible!

Any other donations are welcome - it'll build up a small kitty to cover the next 6 months of any fees we incur, or be carried over to the following year's hosting costs.
The forum will be frozen some time from lunchtime tomorrow, at which point I'll be backing up the database, moving it across, and then hopefully migrating the hosting references.

I will put a message on the home page http://www.chforum.info once the move is complete - this will have details of what to do if you're still seeing the old page (you may have locally cached DNS information, which is like still having the old address for someone stored, and needing to update it - if you see this, let me know!)

Hopefully all will go smoothly.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Updated 30/08/08

Total £285 pledged (thank you everyone!) - £200 received - £85 awaiting receipt...

Thanks again to everyone who's pledged. I've now paid the new hosting costs, so any outstanding pledges gratefully received....

Thanks,

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992