CH Commission Scheme - give back to CH at no cost to you!

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

CH Commission Scheme - give back to CH at no cost to you!

Post by jtaylor »

Here's a fantastic ongoing opportunity to give back to CH, AT NO COST TO YOU!

Visit http://www.chassociation.org/commission

All you do is use the same internet sites you normally shop at, but click through from our affiliate page via http://buy.at/CHA

There's a huge number of online shops involved, from Amazon.co.uk to John Lewis and Tescos, so you may find you can be using it for a lot of your Christmas present shopping.

You pay exactly the same as you normally do, but the retailers give a percentage back to CH.

So, with perfect Christmas shopping timing, PLEASE DO USE THIS and PASS THE WORD to all your family and friends, and ensure EVERYONE is clicking-through from there.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

We have received repeated assurances that the CHA was not established as, nor will it be used as a fund-raising organisation. This appears to run contrary to those promises.
Some questions: Who is running this scheme; what percentage is being returned to C.H; and to what fund is the money (if any) being credited.
:shock:
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Correct, the CHA is NOT a fundraising organisation. This scheme is NOT asking for donations - it's simply providing information and a link to something which I'd hope all Old Blues would feel comfortable being part of, given the positive "money for nothing" nature of it.

The percentages vary, depending on the retailer - anything from less than 1% through to i believe 15% from some retailers. But all these small amounts from thousands of Old Blues, their friends and families will all add up, and could be a considerable amount each year. All for nothing!
Re. who's running it, the relationship has been setup by the Development Office.

The money raised is going directly to CH, to purchase specific items which will be reported periodically on the CHA website. Any money which comes in to the Foundation has to help.

Hopefully everyone'll see this as the positive scheme that it is, and not read any more into it than that (no more conspiracy theories please!)

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Foureyes
Grecian

MONEY FOR NOTHING?

Post by Foureyes »

Julian,
I am not clear why you mention "conspiracy theories" when all I am doing is asking questions to clarify a new scheme.
You say that it is not fund raising, but exactly those words appear repeatedly on the advertisement.
Since you appear to be acting as the PR man for the scheme could you please explain just how the money is being handled? You say

"The money raised is going directly to CH, to purchase specific items which will be reported periodically on the CHA website. Any money which comes in to the Foundation has to help."

But, the Foundation (ie, the Counting House) is now, as I am sure you are well aware, separate from the school. So, my question remains - how is the money being handled. If it is going direct to the school, why do the CHA, the Development Office or anyone in the Counting House need to be involved?

Can I also ask whether this scheme has been put to the CHA Advisory Board and specifially endorsed by that body?

:shock:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I do/did this for my children's school and I have spoken to others where thier school does it. The PTA does it in our case, but alumni have done it in other cases.

It just takes one more click if you are shopping online anyway.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: MONEY FOR NOTHING?

Post by jtaylor »

Foureyes wrote:Julian,
I am not clear why you mention "conspiracy theories" when all I am doing is asking questions to clarify a new scheme.
I guess it's just personally frustrating that you don't appear to see this as a positive thing. Or do you, and just aren't saying so? This is something which is going to raise money for CH, surely a GOOD thing?
Foureyes wrote:You say that it is not fund raising, but exactly those words appear repeatedly on the advertisement.
Yes, it raises funds, but it is not asking Old Blues to give additional money to CH. Personally I see no problem in the CHA providing Old Blues with information about how they can give back to CH, but the CHA is NOT there to PUSH people and ask for money directly. The CHA is a "Friend Raising" organisation, not a "Fund Raising" one.
Foureyes wrote:Julian,
Since you appear to be acting as the PR man for the scheme could you please explain just how the money is being handled? You say
"The money raised is going directly to CH, to purchase specific items which will be reported periodically on the CHA website. Any money which comes in to the Foundation has to help."
But, the Foundation (ie, the Counting House) is now, as I am sure you are well aware, separate from the school. So, my question remains - how is the money being handled. If it is going direct to the school, why do the CHA, the Development Office or anyone in the Counting House need to be involved?
The Development Office has set the scheme up. The money is going direct into the Christ's Hospital Foundation bank account. The final details of how it will be used have not been defined in detail, other than that it will be used to purchase things the school needs, and I'd assume thus off-setting other costs.
Foureyes wrote:Can I also ask whether this scheme has been put to the CHA Advisory Board and specifially endorsed by that body?
Yes, it has.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
jamesbattison
2nd Former

Post by jamesbattison »

Surely after the fantastic opportunities we were all provided by CH we should be happy to give in whatever way we can, through any available means to help support the school carry on its work? Not that I'm a fan of choral music, or indeed wear cufflinks but I'll be buying some all the same...
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Personally, I have no problem whatsoever in using this scheme, and have already indexed the link in my "favourites", so that I remember to use it.

I wish that I had the money to present a child, but in the meantime, to paraphrase Tesco's " every little helps".

B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
sam rider
2nd Former

CH fundraising

Post by sam rider »

Thanks for all the support for the online shop. Although the School and Foundation are seperate legal entities, both work hand in hand and together form 'Christ's Hospital'. The Foundation looks after all the fundraising and asset management as well as the site and admissions process. All donations are used to the benefit of the School and included in the grants the Foundation makes to the School each year. I hope that this helps to clarify. Best Wishes Sam
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

'Foureyes' has raised concerns that I may have been aiming my remarks at him personally, also that I may have been questioning his integrity, questioning his committment to Christ's Hospital.
I would like to confirm that this was not the case, and that the forum is indeed the place for discussion of this matter in an objective manner.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
jamesbattison
2nd Former

Post by jamesbattison »

ooh its just like being back at school... only this time the computers dont have green screens and mr wolstenholme leaning over your shoulder!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Euterpe13 wrote:Personally, I have no problem whatsoever in using this scheme, and have already indexed the link in my "favourites", so that I remember to use it.

I wish that I had the money to present a child, but in the meantime, to paraphrase Tesco's " every little helps".

B.
Quite so. This scheme offers an opportunity to help to many Old Blues who might not be in a position to offer direct financial assistance.

One of the main functions of the CHA is to act as a communications channel, not just between Old Blues, but between the Foundation and the School and the Old Blue community.

I for one am more than happy for it to be publicised by the CHA.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

In reply to one unanswered question, when you click the list of companies (choose initial letter (a - z) it tells you against each company name the amount they will give.

Most are percentages, a few like HMV have different percentages for different classes of goods and Tesco seems to be a flat amount for each new on-line customer. I have not looked at them all but that is the answer. The amounts are pretty clear but we simply have to trust that they will pass on the amounts promised.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Here's the direct link to view all the retailers:-
Click here for full list
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

There are in fact quite a few sites that I use regularly, e.g. laterooms, tescos.

Can we request an update in, say 3 months, to see how much we have earned for the school ? This could turn out to be a real moneyspinner!

B
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."