CHA Merchandise / Memorabilia - your opinions are needed...

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

sejintenej wrote:near male-only product
it would only be sexist if women were banned from wearing them.
men are perfectly free to wear perfume.
you are assuming negative female reaction and thus perpetuating ott feminism :-p
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I own , and sometimes wear , both a CH tie, and cufflinks ( although not at the same time ) - and there is nothing masculine about me .....!

That being said, my tie is nasty polyester thing- would like a silk one, or else a knitted blue one with the CH crest...

Great idea for the music, and I would LOVE a broadie belt & buckle - we never had anything like them at Hertford !

B
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

sejintenej wrote:
ben ashton wrote:people actually think ties are sexist? ffs gona shoot myself now. crazy people
How many women wear ties? How many women use cuff links?

These objects are are a near male-only product so they'll get that Street-Porter woman onto them.

OTOH men are not allowed to complain about all those perfumes, scarves ......... that would be sexist!
If you arrange for scarves to be available I'll use mine to strangle JS-P. What's it got to do with her,anyway?
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Christmas cards - I bought a large number of the left-overs when they were being sold off at an Old Blues' Day.
I like to buy/send charity Christmas Cards - so why isn't EVERY Old Blue instinctively buying CH Christmas Cards to send??

I agree re. selling useful stuff.
I use my CH umbrella (golf-size) a lot - always in the boot of the car.
I bought some CH yellow socks, which I wear when I go shooting with breeks/breeches and wellies.
I've still got my Leigh Hunt green/white house colours - wear those occassionaly, but they're wearing out now!

I like the idea of being able to buy Housey shirts - lounge-around-the-house grandad-style. I'd draw the line at any other uniform items though, mainly I can't ever imagine having cause to wear any of it.

Tie-tacks (the ones that pin your tie to your third/fourth shirt button hole) are good.

Can we canvas other schools to see what sells in their memorabilia??

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

J.R. wrote:How about stick pins for collar/sweater. (like the U.S. political badges)
I think we still have some lapel stick-pin badges for sale in tuckshop if anyone wants one!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

jtaylor wrote:I use my CH umbrella (golf-size) a lot - always in the boot of the car.

J
I use mine all the time - especially at the moment!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

ben ashton wrote:men are perfectly free to wear perfume.
That sorts that out - Christmas present for Ben in December - Je t'aime

If only all men could be that easy
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jtaylor wrote:Christmas cards -
I like to buy/send charity Christmas Cards - so why isn't EVERY Old Blue instinctively buying CH Christmas Cards to send??J
Now that is a sensible idea - just make sure they are well advertised in say Sept / Oct.
jtaylor wrote:I agree re. selling useful stuff.
I use my CH umbrella (golf-size) a lot - always in the boot of the car.

I bought some CH yellow socks, which I wear when I go shooting with breeks/breeches and wellies.
I've still got my Leigh Hunt green/white house colours - wear those occassionaly, but they're wearing out now!

Tie-tacks (the ones that pin your tie to your third/fourth shirt button hole) are good.

Can we canvas other schools to see what sells in their memorabilia??

J

Yellow socks? Not sure - mine are bright scarlet for use with brogues. Yellow wouldn't coordinate very well.

Rugby shirts - I wear often for working outdoors in cold weather. The idea is fine but I won't buy because our ex-landlords presented us each with one and even with all the washes it has had (7 years) it looks brand new. Also, Col A colours are now so common - it seems every chav has those colours.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have also worn a tie and there is nothing masculine about ME. (see avatar) except perhaps my penchant for Guinness
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Christmas cards are a great idea, and also greetings cards for other occasions with attractive photos or drawings of the school/activities on the front, with a clear indication of the charitable status of the institution. Maybe some of the famous art in school could be reproduced (Verrio, Brangwyn etc) for stationery; mouse mats, CD holders, cards, folders, pens, address books/diaries/filo-faxes with school dates and functions listed inside etc. Clothing always goes down well; zip-up hoodies, fleeces, rugby shirts, scarves, hats, socks. And 'kitchen ware' can be produced cheaply and sells well; tea-towels, plates, mugs, mats, tea-pots, Susannah Thingy (Holmes?) on an apron. And what about some replicas of the lovely things that are in the museum and turn up on e-bay like the gorgeous tea bowl that Kerren Simmonds has on another thread, or medallions etc (think 'Past Times' on those). And sweet smelling unguents, 'Eau de Housey', crests on soaps and toilet paper, a boarding school 'survival' kit (containing locally produced alcohol, a packet of dorm biscuits and sponge mix), the list is endless ...
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I've just thought of something else (I'm on a roll now), you could something nice with the school crest on a glass decanter and wine glasses, with a silver (plate) tray.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I think you may have hit on something there (although some were maybe a joke?!?)
The tendency for nostalgia, as demonstrated by the currently advertised 80s CDs, is a strong one - so selling CH stuff that brings back memories, including hymn books, would be great.
How about a cut-to-length broadie-style belt, with broadie-buckle buckle?

I purchase the termly school calendar (the pocket-size one, which used to be a folded A5 piece of card) from the School Office each year - this is cheap, and keeps me up to date with what's going on at the school. This could be offered on the CHA site too?

CH dormitory floor polish might sell well?

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

One other thought - an approach to cost-saving might be to get pre-orders for the more expensive items. i.e. group-buy approach, that orders will be placed once 10/20 have been ordered? Might reduce any risk on the bigger stuff, and enable us to offer more for less risk?
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

CH fudge/toffee and rock. I am surprised Mrs C didn't think of those.

The fudge could have a piccy of Big School or whatever (school cat?) on the box and the rock could have CH all the way through.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

sejintenej wrote:
blondie95 wrote:such as ties, cuff links, hoodie, mug, cds of choir/big band
I think scarves changed over the years so one design might be suitable for only a limited number of OBs.
Hoodies - getting a bad reputation and banned in some places as Amy should know.
Sorry - off topic - hoodies are banned???????????????????

Back to topic - mugs, mouse mats (does anyone still use them), books, key rings?, stubbie holders (do you use these in UK: insulated sheath to protect your hands from a cold can or bottle), caps, tea towels. I could go on, but suspect that the success will depend entirely upon advertising and availability.

Cheers

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.