YOB meet up on St Matt's Day

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:48 pm
Real Name: User Removed Account

Post by UserRequestedRemoval » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:56 pm

One of my girls wants to be a vet, the mind boggles at the thought of what she will get up to

User avatar
Jude
Button Grecian
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:21 pm
Real Name: Jude Comber nee Kelynack 5.38 1975-1980
Location: Stonehouse, Gloucestershire
Contact:

Post by Jude » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:01 pm

soc wrote:One of my girls wants to be a vet, the mind boggles at the thought of what she will get up to
Sadly she needs to work EXTREMELY hard - most courses for vetinary science these days require 4 A's At As level and not less than 10 A's at GCSE level - preferably A* in Biology, chemistry, latin, maths! Horrendous - but then you have to deal with patients who can't actually tell you where they hurt...
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach

User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate

Post by Great Plum » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:05 pm

Oh I remember my Fresher's week - I think!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

User avatar
blondie95
Button Grecian
Posts: 2590
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:41 pm
Real Name: Amy Leadbeater
Location: Kent
Contact:

Post by blondie95 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:17 pm

Jude wrote:
blondie95 wrote:ah freshers week i remember, my first night was spent in the kitchen of our hall with a litre bottle of Lambrini! The week was spent going to talks about various aspects of student life, picking up as many freebies as possible includin alcohol from the fair, going home having a nap infront of countdown then going out again in various fancy dress!

Jude your daughter will probaly return home at christmas with a whole new wardrope of home made fancy dress costumes!!!
she already has one!! I have had to move some of her clothes to another wardrobe already! i don't think I will recognise her as she will have changed so much not being home for so long!

As long as she is happy I am too!
she will do it all again next year-we certainly did we didtn want to miss out on fresher week fun!

My mum wanted to ring me at around 2:30am each night to check i had got back in ok! !!!

UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:48 pm
Real Name: User Removed Account

Post by UserRequestedRemoval » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:19 pm

Jude wrote:
soc wrote:One of my girls wants to be a vet, the mind boggles at the thought of what she will get up to
Sadly she needs to work EXTREMELY hard - most courses for vetinary science these days require 4 A's At As level and not less than 10 A's at GCSE level - preferably A* in Biology, chemistry, latin, maths! Horrendous - but then you have to deal with patients who can't actually tell you where they hurt...
Latin oh no she will have a fit

User avatar
Jude
Button Grecian
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:21 pm
Real Name: Jude Comber nee Kelynack 5.38 1975-1980
Location: Stonehouse, Gloucestershire
Contact:

Post by Jude » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:30 pm

I'm not wanting her to contact me - although I got called for pc help!
(twice now!)
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach

UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:48 pm
Real Name: User Removed Account

Post by UserRequestedRemoval » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:05 pm

Being a parent isn't easy is it

User avatar
Jude
Button Grecian
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:21 pm
Real Name: Jude Comber nee Kelynack 5.38 1975-1980
Location: Stonehouse, Gloucestershire
Contact:

Post by Jude » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:16 am

soc wrote:Being a parent isn't easy is it
there were no books on it when I started out - (other than Dr Spock!!)!now there is an entire wall of How to be a good parenting - parenting for teens etc... These books are just peoples experiences with their own youngsters or Philosiphising over how things should be done (in an ideal word!) - I think that as a parent you have to roll with the punches and go with your heart and head. And yes. I smacked my kids and I AM PROUD OF it! Neither of them have any regrets and both know that the threat was worse thatn the punnishment - they got 3 times to stop doing whatever it was that was wrong . and then wallop! Mostly it was for their saftey - Chris wouldn't listen and burnt his had on the glass front of a gass fire at a friends home - he was told not to! As they got older so I was able to reason with them - now I wait for them to fall over and just "glue the back together" They are polite and thinking adults who know right from wrong.

(I think I might just have found a hobby horse!)
going now!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach

UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:48 pm
Real Name: User Removed Account

Post by UserRequestedRemoval » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:13 pm

I tried to read a few books on the subject and figured that they were all talking just so much crap. I have smacked and will do so again but only in exceptional circumstances such as lying (I loathe lying).

Me thinks i have found a way to get Jude on the soap-box again, sorry folks

User avatar
Jude
Button Grecian
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:21 pm
Real Name: Jude Comber nee Kelynack 5.38 1975-1980
Location: Stonehouse, Gloucestershire
Contact:

Post by Jude » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:06 pm

soc wrote:I tried to read a few books on the subject and figured that they were all talking just so much crap. I have smacked and will do so again but only in exceptional circumstances such as lying (I loathe lying).

Me thinks i have found a way to get Jude on the soap-box again, sorry folks
I think parenting is all about instincts - lets face it our parents parents didn't have much in the way of help - and yet we are still here - however, my daughter thinks that society is breeding a load of time wasters who think the world owes them - what happened to the thing that everything we have here is on loan? We must try to maintain it for our children and theirs ........
:evil:
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach

User avatar
englishangel
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6955
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Real Name: Mary Faulkner (Vincett)
Location: Amersham, Buckinghamshire

Post by englishangel » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:30 pm

I had a Penelope Leach book.

I don't remember much that it said except that children of around 2 and a half based themselves round a person in a particular place e.g Mum on a certain bench in the children's playground, and if Mum moved from that bench, even to the next bench said child would get upset and return to the first bench.
Of course No 1 son (aged 2 and a half) hadn't read this book and I was sitting on same bench as he diappeared out of the gate at the far end of the park as 30 weeks pregnant me yells,
"Come back, come back, Penelope Leach says you shouldn't do that."
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

User avatar
Jude
Button Grecian
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:21 pm
Real Name: Jude Comber nee Kelynack 5.38 1975-1980
Location: Stonehouse, Gloucestershire
Contact:

Post by Jude » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:20 pm

englishangel wrote:I had a Penelope Leach book.

I don't remember much that it said except that children of around 2 and a half based themselves round a person in a particular place e.g Mum on a certain bench in the children's playground, and if Mum moved from that bench, even to the next bench said child would get upset and return to the first bench.
Of course No 1 son (aged 2 and a half) hadn't read this book and I was sitting on same bench as he diappeared out of the gate at the far end of the park as 30 weeks pregnant me yells,
"Come back, come back, Penelope Leach says you shouldn't do that."
Sounds like sons to me - I told Chris not to touch the glass on the fire and he still went and did it.. Mind you - I only had one tantrum from each of them - Chris in his terrible 2's went mad - I just walked out the house into the garden and let him scream himself to sleep. Sarah - she had hers in Trashco's - and I left her on the floor, and carried on walking down the ailse - she got up and ran after me -"mummy don't go" and that was the end of the terrible 2's . Constantly shouting at your child only seems to make them do it all the more - something called negative attention i think..
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach

UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:48 pm
Real Name: User Removed Account

Post by UserRequestedRemoval » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:29 pm

Young Natasha seems to have decided that everything in the entire world must be hers. When she finds out that things actually belong to other people, she is less than impressed. She has just started going one day a week to a a toddler group so with any luck she will start to get the idea of sharing

User avatar
Jude
Button Grecian
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:21 pm
Real Name: Jude Comber nee Kelynack 5.38 1975-1980
Location: Stonehouse, Gloucestershire
Contact:

Post by Jude » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:39 pm

soc wrote:Young Natasha seems to have decided that everything in the entire world must be hers. When she finds out that things actually belong to other people, she is less than impressed. She has just started going one day a week to a a toddler group so with any luck she will start to get the idea of sharing
Then you start having REAL problems as she will want to share ALL YOUR things too - like your meal, your drink, your pc et al...... fine line between sharing and having!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach

UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:48 pm
Real Name: User Removed Account

Post by UserRequestedRemoval » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:21 pm

I have to be honest in that I think it is just a phase she is going through because she is one of the giving little children I have met

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests